× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 & Xbox One X

XR500 & Xbox One X

Hi Everyone,

I have a CM1000 connected to a XR500. My XR500 connects directly to my Xbox One X, Hardwired with IPV6, QoS, and UPNP activated, and connected to my PS4 wired as well. Everything else is connected wirelessly.

My issue is:    Everynight and/or Every morning lately when I turn on the xbox, there no internet supplied to the system. Everything connnected wirelessly still works but the system gets a Teredo IP Error. I restart the router and everything works fine again. Is there something I can change or fix? Never had this issue with the R9000

Additional Info: Xbox uses a different DNS Server compared to Router ISP DNS Server. Static IP for IPV4 is set currently. Cat6 cable is connecting Xbox to router. Xbox is running IPV6 when router restarts but limits to Just IPV4 when it acts up. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 53

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

NETGEAR have publicly released the firmware that fixes disconnection issues.

If anyone is still having this issue, please ensure you have upgraded to the latest firmware (2.3.2.32 or later): https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 53

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you turn off the instant on mode on the console and see if that resolves the issue please? If so I have already raised it as a bug to be fixed.
Message 2 of 53

Yes, I can try that and see if it changes, However, I will be waiting until it happens again before I try that method. So far since the 30th I have not had it happen so it is apparently intermittent. 

Message 3 of 53

Okay, so I just turned my xbox on and it's disconnected from internet, again hardwired in. I am now trying what you had asked @Netduma-Fraser. I have changed it over to energy-saving mode from instant-on mode to see if it fixes the issue..

Additional information about the modem and router noticed prior to restart:   I have noticed that the lights on the router and modem are working as they should. (On and blinking white. XR500) (On green lights, and only internet flashing. CM1000)

Additionally all devices connected through wirelessly are working properly. 

Message 4 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay do let me know! Thanks for the additional info. Someone who had the same issue upgraded to a xbox preview build and found that fixed the issue, not sure if you're able to do that but if you can id see if that fixes the issue as well.
Message 5 of 53
iNSOM
Aspirant

I just posted this same reply to another thread just like this one:

I am having the same issue as the original poster.

I am currently on

Firmware Version

V2.2.1.10

I am forced to use this version because I needed VLAN tagging to actually work since I have fiber to my home through a GPON or ONT. When I first tried to setup my router, I had to plug my old one in and download the firmware to a USB then plug the new router in to update the firmware since I had the VLAN tagging 404 error.

I have fiber directly to the outside of my house (1,000mbps upload 1,000mbps download) connected to a GPON / ONT and CAT6 from the ONT to the inside of my house connected directly into the XR500.

No matter what I do with the QOS, GEO filtering, turning off 5g etc the result is still the same. My internet for the first few days would go offline and the router became unusable, where I couldn't login to the rotuer via webpage on any device connected to it every morning. Now it is doing it day and night sporadically. Last night at midnight it went off randomly while I was in the middle of a ESEA pug ong CSGO, while I was streaming live to twitch. This evening it went off randomly while I was typing up emails for work.

When I try to log into the router to look at the logs, I cannot connect to the router via webpage through 192.168.1.1

The only way to get things working again is to reboot my router. When I am having the issue all lights are normal flashing white, the only time they turn orange is after I hit reboot and the router is coming back up. This is extremeley frustrating and I tried calling Jason at level 3 but it was his day off. I am about 24 hours from taking this thing back and giving up. I HIGHLY suspect this is a firmware related issue that needs to be addressed asap, I am seeing the issue more and more as I search online for the solution. Also I saw somewhere someone mentioned being on a dynamic IP which most of are and when there is an IP change that could be the issue, or even something to do with the MAC address after the IP has changed...

Tags (0)

Message 6 of 53

Hey @iNSOM,

You actually brought up something I didn't think to add. I too am running Firmware V2.2.1.10. However, your issue is slightly more bizarre/unusual, at least to me, only due to the fact that mine was only affecting the devices hardwired into the router and had been very intermittent. (Currently not having the issue, but it has only been a couple days since. *Knock on wood*)

Are you using a modem/router combo in succession to the XR500?

Message 7 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi iNSOM, I have sent you a PM.
Message 8 of 53
XRaptor29
Luminary

Just a heads up, latest Alpha build for the Xbox One has addressed this issue according to the change log. Hopefully it'll fix the problem when it leaves the insider program.

They've also fixed the WiFi issue on the Xbox disconnecting from the internet when the console was on Instant On mode.
Message 9 of 53

@XRaptor29, I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Message 10 of 53

@Netduma-Fraser Update: My Xbox One is disconnected on start-up from the Internet while Instant-on mode was disabled, so this was not the fix we were hoping for. 

Again, stating from above:

• Lights are normally flashing on router
  • Xbox will reconnect after router is rebooted.
  • Xbox is hardwired and is one of the two hardwired that are affected (PS4 hardwired also, is disconnected)
  • Everything connected wirelessly is working fine.
  • QoS, IPV6, and UPNP are active. 
Message 11 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update. The Xbox Team and the Netgear Team are in active communication regarding this issue and seem to be aware of what the cause may be. Would you be able to provide me with your Xbox version please?
Message 12 of 53

Apologies for the delay in returning the last message.

As of late I've been noticing problems with the Xbox more than the Router. Chances are it was never the router in the first place causing a hiccup. I have been receiving a connect to xbox live message more frequently now whether I'm wired into the router or wireless. It's kind of annoying that the other 2 Xbox One X's in the home are not having these connectivity issues and just recently my system started shutting down in the middle of crucial streaming events, so I had decided to contact Microsoft Support to find some things out. 

It turns out that my system is experiencing a power supply issue and a networking card issue. The others who have commented on this post may still be experiencing the issues with connectivity so more looking into this issue is necessary, So starting tomorrow I will have a brand new XB1X and I will test it over the next few weeks to see if it was just a Xbox issue or is in fact an issue regarding both the router and system. 

Thank you,

Message 13 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update Osisris, I've sent you a PM with the firmware incase you still get the issues with the new xbox.
Message 14 of 53
cment77
Tutor

I'm having the same issue and wondering if the end result was a network card issue with the Xbox One X?

Message 15 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen with both wired or wireless connections at the xbox?

What FW version is currently loaded?

@cment77 wrote:

I'm having the same issue and wondering if the end result was a network card issue with the Xbox One X?

Message 16 of 53
cment77
Tutor

Yes both wired and wireless. Although if I connect using wireless the span of days is longer that I stay connected than when the Xbox is wired in. So for example if the Xbox is wired to the XR500 then after 2 days it will be disconnected but if connected wirelessly then 5 or 7 days.

Message 17 of 53
cment77
Tutor

Yes both wired and wireless. Although if I connect using wireless the span of days is longer that I stay connected than when the Xbox is wired in. So for example if the Xbox is wired to the XR500 then after 2 days it will be disconnected but if connected wirelessly then 5 or 7 days.

Message 18 of 53

As of right now @cment77. The Xbox One X Has an issue still where it will forget that you are connected after days of activity. Randomly you will get online and find out that you are no longer connected to wired or wireless internet. On the phone it shows connection, but if you check in network setup on the Xbox for wireless, it will act as if the network doesn't exist. Unplugging the xbox one and plugging it back in after pressing the power button. Proves that something internally is wrong with the X as far as I can see.
Message 19 of 53
cment77
Tutor

Agreed. I don't have these connection issues with my PS4 Pro or Switch. I'm wondering if the consensus is that this is a hardware issue or a software issue? From what I've been reading I'm feeling like its a hardware issue. Thoughts?

Message 20 of 53

I'd speculate that it's the Hardware in the One X. The X is a great and powerful machine but everything is crammed inside the compact box. Hardware usually, if at fault, can cause these intermittent issues, However, Software if bugged, can forget what it's doing and I would have stated that the latest update to xbox fixed this issue, but now you have this issue. Mine has now lasted 3 weeks without issue, (knock on wood), wired. I have it set to energy saving so it shuts down completely.
Message 21 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with MS support and ask about this. Let then know what you have, what you tried, both connections and that other devices work with this router. MS should and needs to review this.

Curious, has Instant ON feature been disabled on the game consoles?

Message 22 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If instant on is disabled and automatic updates are disabled then it should resolve the issue. We're in touch with the Xbox team regarding a fix for this.
Message 23 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Good ol Instant ON back at it again. Smiley Frustrated

Message 24 of 53
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good ol Instant ON back at it again. Smiley Frustrated

I have no issues with my Xbox One X or Xbox One S using the 'Instant On' setting.  Both are wired (connection).

Message 25 of 53
Discussion stats
  • 52 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7