× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 and AT&T IP Passthrough

Bob_The_Builder
Aspirant

XR500 and AT&T IP Passthrough

Lookign for suggestions.  Just purchase an XR 500 and installed it behind my AT&T Pace5268AC.

I want to have IP Passthrough enabled, but it can't quite get it to work.  When IP Passthrough is NOT ENABLED the network is working, my devices pull an IP from the 10.x.x.x range i have configured in the XR and all seems well.

However when i enable IP passthrough, the XR correctly obtains the WAN IP from the AT&T modem, but I can not browse to any pages from any of my devices.  However, i can ping and resolve names just not browse.

Any thoughts?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 and AT&T IP Passthrough

Could you try setting a manual DNS server on the XR500? Maybe 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Message 2 of 8
Bob_The_Builder
Aspirant

That is how it is configured currently. Doesn’t seem to be dns since I can ping web pages from the command prompt and they resolve just fine.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact your ISP or do a search on how to correctly setup IP Pass-thru on your modem for the XR router. 

Message 4 of 8
Bob_The_Builder
Aspirant

It’s done correctly just not working but I have a call I to them to see if they can Un-jank their device
Message 5 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Oh yeah, fair point, although I guess those pages could be cached on your computer.

Have you rebooted the router and the modem at the same time since you made this change?

Message 6 of 8
Bob_The_Builder
Aspirant

I've rebooted multiple times over on both devices.  Given that i can ping web pages and see the names resolve but not browse i suspect something in the gateway from my ISP is eating the traffic, but after a few hours on the phone with them they are claiming it is a netgear issue.

I happened to have an older router from a few years back which i swapped in place of the XR500 and it shows the same behavior which really makes me suspect my ISP.  AFter two hours and three agents, they finnaly decided to ship me a new modem which will be a different model

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Yeah I don't like passing the buck, but if the same thing is happening with two different routers, then the common element is clearly the modem...

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7