× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 and BT Fibre 900 FFTP

Gidgriff
Guide

XR500 and BT Fibre 900 FFTP

Hi all, 

Reading through the forums and online it looks like there is a common fault with the XR500 with them being capped to 550mb/s. I have spoken to BT and they have confirmed im getting 935mb/s to my line and it shows that when i use my BT hub they supplied. If i plug in via ethernet to my XR500 the speed varies massively. Sometimes 900, sometimes 300. From what I can tell it looks like there is a common fault with the XR500 where it cannot handle these speeds (although they state online that they can). I was wondering if anyone had a fix for this from their own experience or whether its time for me to jump ship and move to another brand. 

TIA. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't say that's a common fault really. Are ALL devices connected to the XR? Are you using QoS?
Message 2 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Hi Frazer, 

I'd have to disgaree on that one, I have read through a number of threads on here and also on other webpages about it and the only fixes I have seen so far are new routers, it seems pretty common. 

The XR is the only router I am using, i tried the Smart Hub 2 for comparison.

I have tried this with no other devices connected, no devices connected via WIFI, different devices connected, 1 connected, all of mine connected and the issue is the same.  I have been on the phone to BT numerous times, even had 3 engineer visits to check the line is fine. Numerous cables tried. 

QOS is off, checked my ports speeds all set at 1000. Speed test on the actual router tops out at 525 (approx).  

Message 3 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What firmware version are you on currently?
Message 4 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

XR500 V2.3.2.120

Tried the 108 version aswell (i think thats what it was anyways)

Message 5 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Enable QoS, make a custom rule for Traffic Prioritization:

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

then test the speeds on that device and see what you get please.
Message 6 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Says invalid port number2021-06-09 19_27_19-QoS - DumaOS.png

Message 7 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Sorry i enterted it wrong, it works but speed is still the same. 

Message 8 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the XR connected to the hub or a modem?
Message 9 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Directly into the Openreach ONT modem on the wall. 

Message 10 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try putting the Hub back in please, then connecting the XR and setting it to AP mode and see what speeds you get?
Message 11 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Tried it, speeds were lower. down to 220mbs now. 

Message 12 of 38
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That doesn't sound right, if you connect directly to the Hub in this configuration are you getting full speeds? In AP mode, the XR will have DumaOS almost completely disabled and will be doing very little processing itself.

Message 13 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Hi Liam, 

Wired in to my BT hub with nothing else connected im getting the full 935mb/s. Wired into the XR500 im lucky to get 500, even in AP mode connected to the Smart Hub. WIFI figures are terrble on both

Message 14 of 38
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What Wi-Fi speeds are you getting? We'd expect them to be a little bit lower but not drastically. 

Do you need to use PPPoE when connecting to the BT hub?

Message 15 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

about 300mbs in the same room on my XR500 (should be getting 900mb/s to the hub bare in mind) and maybe 80mbs upstairs and im only in a mid sized 3 bed house (30 years old). 

On my BT Hub it automatically does the settings but on my XR i had to set up the PPPoE logins yes. 

At this point I think i'll bin this router and start looking for something else, becoming a lot of hassle for very little reward. Even tried powerline adapters and they were only getting 100mbs to my PC. 

Message 16 of 38
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thanks for the information, sorry to hear you feel that way.

I have heard in the past of PPPoE causing some issues with speeds but it's not too common.

Were you using the powerline adapters so you could connect via ethernet? If so, what type of ethernet cables were they? Cat5e or greater?

Message 17 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Yeah Via ethernet, Cat6 cable from router to first unit and 5e from second unit to PC. 

Message 18 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Powerline adapters rely on the quality of the wiring in your walls so that's not too uncommon. Are you able to have the BT hub handle PPPoE so you can remove that from the XR?
Message 19 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

HI Fraser, 

Yeah i assumed that might be the case with the powerlines so they have now been put away.

Unfortunately the BT Hub doesnt allow that. Like I said, I've read a few threads now where people have had issues with XR's and PPPoE at these high speeds. So im very cautious at buying a new Netgear Router if im going to have the exact same issues. 

Message 20 of 38
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Are you not able to configure PPPoE settings on the BT Hub like you have done on the XR?

Message 21 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Hi guys, me again! 
I gave up on the XR500 and bought a R8000 instead. I have never had so many issues trying to set up a router in my entire life. Tried setting up via the Nighthawk app like it tells me to, and even though im connected to the router via WIFI the app cant find the router. Tried it via ethernet, wont find the routerlogin page and just gives me an error that im not connected to the internet. I have tried clearing cache, didnt do anything. Any suggestions?

Message 22 of 38
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK sorry to hear that, this forum is actually for support of DumaOS powered routers so we won't really be able to provide any advice on the R8000, perhaps consider creating a new topic at the below forum for support:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Message 23 of 38
Gidgriff
Guide

Hi Liam, 

Im back, the X6 wasnt for me. The menu system, everything is awful compared to the XR so im committed to making this work now. 

I have put the Smart Hub 2 back in and connected the XR to it and placed the Ethernet cable into Ethernet Port 1 (Internet port was just showing red) and turned the WIFI off on the Smart Hub2. Not sure why but the XR shows no internet on the Hub but will let me connect and do a speed test (better speeds) but wont let me open any webpages 'says no internet connection'. When i try and go on the XR router page it just says ' You are no longer connected to your router. If your router is rebooting then keep this page open as it will automatically reconnect to the router's interface when the reboot is complete. Otherwise please check your connection e.g. you are connected to the correct router.'

Any ideas or settings you can suggest I try? 

Message 24 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'll need to put the ethernet from the LAN port in the BT Hub to the internet port in the XR otherwise you won't get internet. Once you've done that reboot the XR. If you have internet directly connected to the hub then you shouldn't need to enter PPPoE details into the XR
Message 25 of 38
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7