× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 and DOCSIS 3.1 Latency Variation Issues

hazyvoodoo
Tutor

XR500 and DOCSIS 3.1 Latency Variation Issues

Hello  

I am having terrible latency variation and ping spikes on my XR500 when playing Battlefield V, COD, and pretty much any game.

Problem: Ping spikes in game from 58-90 ms every 10-15 seconds when hard wired and also wirelessly to my xbox and pc.My upload speeds are also slightly under. 

Temporary Solution: Hard wired xbox and PC to modem bypassing the XR500. I do not get any latency variation or ping spikes. Ping plotter results are smooth. However I need to connect my devices via wifi.

What I have done: Power Cycled, enabled/disabled QOS, had an xfinity tech come out to test my lines, returned my CM1000 modem in exchange for a SB8200, I have done a factory reset on my XR500, set MTU size to 1472, and  have also enabled/disbled the geo filter settings.

The possible issue: I have read online that DOCSIS 3.1 modems are not getting along with some routers due to DOCSIS 3.1 having its own AQM or QOS rules that may conflict with some routers.

Any input will help. The last resort is returning the XR500 and using the XFINITY modem.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
hazyvoodoo
Tutor

I have tried swapping cables howver I ended up fixing the issue.

I previously stated I had disabled QOS on the XR500 by turning off the buffer bloat setting.

I missed the setting on the left window where you completely disabled the QOS, which ended up fixing my issue.

My speculation was right DUMAOS' , Merlin, and ASUS routers QOS rules conflict with DOCSIS 3.1 modems' built in AQM and cause the instability in the connection. Mostly ping variation.

Hopefully in the near future there will be a solution to this issue as the DUMA OS QOS was the reason for purchase. 

All these test were done from a factory reset xr500. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

This may seem obvious but have you tried replacing the cable linking the modem to the XR500? I don't see why the XR500's software would have any problem with a DOCSIS modem but maybe there is some obscure setting causing an issue here.

Message 2 of 4
hazyvoodoo
Tutor

I have tried swapping cables howver I ended up fixing the issue.

I previously stated I had disabled QOS on the XR500 by turning off the buffer bloat setting.

I missed the setting on the left window where you completely disabled the QOS, which ended up fixing my issue.

My speculation was right DUMAOS' , Merlin, and ASUS routers QOS rules conflict with DOCSIS 3.1 modems' built in AQM and cause the instability in the connection. Mostly ping variation.

Hopefully in the near future there will be a solution to this issue as the DUMA OS QOS was the reason for purchase. 

All these test were done from a factory reset xr500. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I'm glad you got it fixed, at least temporarily. Thanks for the feedback, it's useful to know there's an incompatibility there. I'll make sure the devs are aware.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7