× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 and PI Hole configuration

bsilverthorn
Apprentice

XR500 and PI Hole configuration

I am looking for a way to use dnsmasq with the XR500. Or some way to have the pi hole software be able to report back what machines are actually doing the dns lookups. In most routers I have an option of setting specific DNS servers for DHCP. I do not see this in Netduma, it appears to use the DNS servers set on WAN connection or Ineternet.  The issue with setting the first DNS entry to the PI Hole here is that that reporting metrics just show the DNS requests coming from the router not the actual device making the request. I could go around and set DNS staticly, but if I have to do that ill just move DHCP to linux and stop using the XR500 for DNS. 

In the below post metioned it was stated to do the following:

"Within you lan dhcp scope set the dns for Lan devices to the Lan ip for your pihole device. That will forward all requests from Lan hosts to the pihole."

Could someone elberate a little more. Currently here is how we are setup.

Router at 192.168.1.1

PI Hole add blocker at 192.168.1.4

DNS on "internet setup"

Prim DNS 192.168.1.4 AKA pihole

Sec DNS 208.67.222.123

thrid dns 208.67.220.123

This works sorta, but again it shows DNS requests coming from my netgear. Is there a way to have the XR500 send out 192.168.1.4 as a DNS server and note the lan IP?

I found the following the post, but embarrassing the reply, did not make sense to me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Nighthawk-XR500-DNSMASQ/m-p/1555398

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd give Netgear support a call and see if they can help you with this issue.
Message 2 of 7
Rogers8842
Tutor

@bsilverthorn wrote:

This works sorta, but again it shows DNS requests coming from my netgear. Is there a way to have the XR500 send out 192.168.1.4 as a DNS server and note the lan IP?

Hi there. I have PiHole setup with the XR500. I just have the router do the DNS as I didn't see a way either to have it send DNS servers other than the router. Just curious, do you want to have it setup so that you see which hosts are doing which requests? If so, I'd just manually set the DNS servers on your OS and just get the IP/Netmask/Gateway from the DHCP server.

Message 3 of 7
Biggus42
Tutor

I've had the same issue - it is as if the XR500 "Use These DNS Servers" option doesn't work.

No matter what you put in there, it just pushes down the values it gathers from your ISP; you cannot override them.

Is this something that is in the channel to get fixed?

Thank you!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Biggus, what happens after you set the DNS and apply? When it reloads the page has it switched back to dynamic or is it still on 'Use these...' but doing a DNS test it shows the ISP DNS?
Message 5 of 7
Biggus42
Tutor

The router appears to be configured properly, but what it delivers is the ISPs values to the devices.

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using your ISP hub in router mode? If so change to modem mode, does it appear to work correctly then?
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7