× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 and Vodafone Broadband UK

JohnDT
Aspirant

XR500 and Vodafone Broadband UK

Hello!

I have Vodafone Broadband and I am currently using their VDSL router. I have bought a XR500 and I am struggling to get it working as I want to. Currently I have VDSL Router > Unmanaged Switch > Home Network (Xbox, TV, Time Capsule etc). I want to use the VDSL Router as a modem only and have the following configuration instead: VDSL Router (as modem only) > XR500 > Unmanaged Switch > Home Network. I am not exactly sure how to do this.

I get that I will need to turn off DHCP on the Vodafone VDSL router and I will also disable that wireless network - that is the easy bit - but I am not sure how to then configure the connection to XR500. I have tried a few different combinations but not been successful. If anyone else has a gaming router with the Vodafone VDSL router operating as modem only - I would appreciate the help.

Cheers

John

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 and Vodafone Broadband UK

If you're going to disable DHCP on the Vodafone router then you will need to give the XR a static IP. I would also suggest you connect the switch behind the XR so all devices can be controlled by the XR. Put the XR WAN IP found in System Information into the Vodafone router and that will make it essentially function like a modem.
Message 2 of 4
JohnDT
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Got it working. Couldn't see an option to put a static IP in the Vodafone WiFi hub but turned DHCP off and used MAC filtering to allow internet to the XR500. All seems to be working fine so far but I have an orange light on the ethernet port that is feeding the switch. Could this be because not all devices connected via the switch are 'on'?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If the light is amber then it indicates that the device plugged into the port is capable of 100mbps. So this may be that the ethernet cable you used needs to be changed or that not all devices that are connected to the switch currently are capable of 1G.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7