× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 and mesh extender

Zachary-sama
Guide

XR500 and mesh extender

Hey,

i bought the nighthawk xr500 gaming router with mesh extender a while ago, i followed their setup guide on youtube.

Almost everything works fine, the problem is when i use my ps4...

i can't connect to a party chat easily, meaning it will load either extremely long (+- an hour before it connects by itself) sometimes it doesn't connect, and sometimes people can't connect when i host the party...

this gets worse in games, i can't connect to servers half of the time, like pubg, destiny, spellbreak... strangely it works fine for non f2p games..

i tried changing my dns to google's dns, but that doesn't do anything at all.

I'm at a complete loss here, as in i'm about to just throw the router in the garbage because i can't seem to fix it haha

If anyone knows how to fix these issues your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings switch NAT to Open and toggle SIP ALG, see if that helps.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're using the Geo-Filter you will need to add your friends to your allow list in order to be able to connect with them. Also the same Geo-Filter settings won't work the same for all games.
Message 2 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

the issues occur when i'm not using the geo filter as well though

Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How are you connecting the PS4? Is it through WiFi through the extender or via ethernet?
Message 4 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

i have an ethernet running from my normal router to the rx500, wich then has an ethernet running to my ps4, i can't hook up the netduma without an ethernet from my normal router

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So if you completely disable the Geo-Filter so don't have your PS4 added at all you still have the same issues?
Message 6 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

yes, i still have the same issue with the geo filter disabled

Message 7 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What does your NAT type say on the console and if the game you're playing shows it, what does that say your NAT type is?
Message 8 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

my nat type is nat type 2 moderate, i can connect to people in game no problem, but not with voice chat in parties or to servers, it will give me infinite loading screens

Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings switch NAT to Open and toggle SIP ALG, see if that helps.
Message 10 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

this does seem to fix the problem, but isn't having an open nat type a bad thing? i already do really appreciate this fix though

Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No you want an open NAT because that allows you to connect properly to applications/services. You're still protected by the router firewall.
Message 12 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

oh ok, anyway it seems to be working fine for now, so thank you so much, i didn't test everything yet but i can already connect with voice chat and hear people again haha, if problems do occur again i'll be asking for your help again, once again i really do appreciate it!

Message 13 of 15
Cayde-6
Tutor

Rif.: XR500 and mesh extender

Try this, open the browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1 (not all the providers have got the same), go on Wi-Fi tab and turn off the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. You must do this cause with both Wi-Fi connections active on modem and router you will get in conflict. Also, if you don't use a 2.4 Ghz connection, turn it off from the router and leave the 5 Ghz only active (is better).

Now, i will give you the right setup for playing on PS4 with games like Destiny 2:

Go on the Geo-Filter tab and then:

Turn off Restricted Mode

Turn off Automatic Ping Host 

Turn off Fast search

Zoom factor 2.5

Ping 0

On the right, where there is the distance, put 111 km and then set the ping in the Pacific Ocean but not too far or you will crash every time. 

Click on Add Device and select your PS4, turn it on and then on the map will appear a triangle, select and authorize it.

Leave it on filter mode.

Now every time you will join in a party, you will have to wait few seconds for hear everyone.

Oh yea, just to let you know about Destiny, Bungie has recentely released an update that causes some problems for who has got a router. Netgear will release soon an update to resolve this issue.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 14 of 15
Zachary-sama
Guide

Udate:

After some more testing i can confirm now that,

Party chat works fine

All games work fine as well

in short your fix really helped me out, i appreciate it!

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7