× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 backup configuration question

Retired_Member
Not applicable

XR500 backup configuration question

Is there a way to get the PPPOE Password from my backup file? I'm asking because I'm not sure what it was and I'm thinking of doing a factory reset. I'd call the ISP but they're a local Co-op and not too bright in the IT department. They didn't even understand what the PPP username and password was and it took almost a week of calls to get somebody to finally understand what I was trying to get from them. So if there is a way to decrypt my config file to find that, it would be great!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Found it! Here's how:

Enable Telnet via Debug page

Navigate to /etc/ppp/

And run more chap-secrets

Username and Password will be displayed in plain text. 😉 

Just incase anyone else wants this info or needs to recover their PPPoE password as well.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You could open it in a text editor and have a look but can’t say for certain if it would be there. Best bet is to look on your ISPs modem/router and see if it’s written there, failing that google your ISP and PPPoE. They may use a generic user/pass
Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unfortunately its something I've set so it wouldn't be generic. Also, there is no modem. I have fiber directly to the side of the house and from there a Cat 6 to my comm closet. If there is a modem of some sorts it's outside in a locked box lol.

Yes.....I know I should've wrote it down and threw it in the safe. And it had it not been a unique 16 character complex password specifically for this account I wouldn't be kicking myself in the butt right now. That's what I get for bringing work to the home lol.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Found it! Here's how:

Enable Telnet via Debug page

Navigate to /etc/ppp/

And run more chap-secrets

Username and Password will be displayed in plain text. 😉 

Just incase anyone else wants this info or needs to recover their PPPoE password as well.

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic, glad you found the solution and posted it, thanks!
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7