× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 blocking my Upload tests?

TokeZen
Aspirant

XR500 blocking my Upload tests?

Hey guys,

I got this router few days ago and had a go at it. Loving it so far, fixed most of my networking issues I had with previous router I used.

However, I couldnt test my upload speed at speedtest.net if QoS is enabled. Once I disabled it, download/upload ran like nagara falls of networking. One of the reasons I got this router is to have QoS enabled at all times to help with traffic management since on slow days I have 8+ devices connected to wifi. Since I do twitch streaming that can have an impact on health of my stream. hence XR500

Any ideas what is going on? I still can use upload for my other needs but whenever I try to test my upload speed i'm stuck at 0

oh and I have optic fiber, so I have to use a modem (Orange Funbox 3.0 -> XR500 -> cat6 cable -> my pc)

I'd like to add that Im no hardware guru but 300$ and this Lamborghini of routers doesnt take optic fiber? I was utterly dissapointed in that department

Here's a  useless picture of nothing happening with QoS enabledHere's a useless picture of nothing happening with QoS enabled

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If other devices work and this one particular PC doesn't, I would try different browser, disable all security software and browser plug-ins temporarily. Ensure your network adapter is set for Auto Obtain IP addressing. 

Install speedtest.net testing app instead of using a browser. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
TokeZen
Aspirant

So I speedtest.net on another PC and 2 different phones and it works there. Thus it became clear that my PC is at fault here, any ideas what steps I could take to identify the issue? Just to emphasize, if I turn off QoS, speedtest works on my pc too, like others. Once it's on it's a no go for my PC

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If other devices work and this one particular PC doesn't, I would try different browser, disable all security software and browser plug-ins temporarily. Ensure your network adapter is set for Auto Obtain IP addressing. 

Install speedtest.net testing app instead of using a browser. 

Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Good job in isolating where the fault is. Now we know it's the PC, it's probably do with firewall or security software on your computer. It's seeing you're about to upload a shed load of data and is stopping it to be cautious.

Try Furry's suggestions and let us know if you manage to get to the bottom of it.

Message 4 of 8
TokeZen
Aspirant

I just tried using Opera and it worked just fine. Turns out Firefox was causing the issue, thanks a lot!

Im also in process of figuring out another issue, perhaps you can help?

After my PC runs for a few hours my download speed gets throttled to 6mbps when normally i get around 900mbps -1gbps.

I tried different browsers, restarting modem & router - no results to report.

This is also just my PC's issue, no other device on the network seem to experience this

Message 5 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That sounds like it might be overheating, or that the CPU is maxed out for some reason. Putting a lot of bandwidth through anything uses computer power. 

Easiest way to check would be to open up Task Manager when the speeds are very slow. In the Processes tab, see if the CPU is maxed out. If it is, try and see what's using it all.

If it's not, then is the PC especially hot?

Message 6 of 8
TokeZen
Aspirant

Not at all, I initially thought it might be hardware but this issue happens regardless of the state of my hardware (example would be 15% cpu & 10% gpu utilization, both at idle temps, it would still happen). I reckon it's software and its probably windows10 home  (build 17134)

shot summary of my hardware:

motherboard: x99s

cpu: i7-5930k @ 3.5ghz (no oc)

gpu: 980gtx 4gb (no oc)

ram: 32gb @ 2400mhz CL16

psu: 700w

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try this guide and see if it resolves your speed issues with the PC: https://windowsreport.com/increase-windows-10-bandwidth/

Windows has a habit of hoarding bandwidth for it's own QoS and updates.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7