× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 blocking websites

crookedfingaz
Aspirant

XR500 blocking websites

this is my first time every using an advanced router before. Is it normal for these things to randomly block websites without permission? If so, how do I stop that from happening, and unblock the websites it decided to block on its own? I tried calling support and they told me that I have to pay a one time fee to speak to a tech support person who can give me the answer...!

What have i gotten myself into. any help is appreciated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that isn't normal. Did this start happening as soon as you finished the setup wizard or was it after changing settings? If the latter what settings did you change specifically? Does it occur on both wired and wireless devices? What is your exact physical setup? I.e. what is the XR connected to and what is the model of that modem/router?
Message 2 of 4
crookedfingaz
Aspirant

So I was going to transfer internet companies, and one of the companies wanted me to fill out my current modems MAC address. I’m assuming that the router saw this as sensitive information and immediately pulled the plug on that site. I was using my laptop over wifi while it happened. All other websites worked. I tried loading the site on my phone (connected to wifi) same issue. Turned off my phones wifi, reloaded the site, and it was working fine.

The router is the xr500 pro gaming router
The modem is a hitron cda3-20

I don’t use wired for anything, all wifi here (which is why I got this router)
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it was one specific site then it may be just what you mentioned or that the ISP blocked it, I'd suggest plugging directly into the modem and seeing if you see the same issue. If you just need to connect to that site the one time then if it is an issue on the modem access it using the phone data as you did there and complete it then it shouldn't present as a problem in future.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7