× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 blocks Netflix, Hulu and Prime Video as a DoS Attack

XR500 blocks Netflix, Hulu and Prime Video as a DoS Attack

First, a bit of a complex setup description.

• CM700 (32x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem connected to Comcast 250 connection
  • XR500 Router - Latest firmware - 1 Xbox One X connected directly with Ethernet cable to this Router and an Xbox One S connected by Wifi.
  • Nighthawk Mesh X6S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender - 1 Xbox One X connected this way to the Router
  • Nighthawk Pro Gaming 8-port Switch - 2 desktop PC's connected this way to the Router

I switched my router to the XR500 from the Nighthawk X8 - AC5300 Tri-Band Quad-Stream Wi-Fi Router (R8500) and quickly ran into issues. In trying to resolve the problems, I have factory reset the router and set it up again.

So the actual issue is that if the Xbox One S streams from Netflix, the two Xbox One X consoles (one connected by Ethernet and one by Nighthawk Mesh) can't access Netflix, Hulu or Prime Video (YouTube and games work fine). Instead, during loading all three apps error on login (Error95 on Hulu,  Netflix gets error tvq-st-103 and Prime Video gives an error number that escapes me right now). While doing testing of the apps, I looked in the router logs and saw that IP's belonging to those three companies were being flagged as DoS Attack while trying to connect on the consoles. 

When the Xbox One S connected to wifi stops streaming, the video apps work again. If either of the Xbox One X consoles is steaming then so can the other.

This issue only started when switching to the XR500 from the Nighthawk X8 - AC5300 Tri-Band Quad-Stream Wi-Fi Router (R8500) and switching back to the old router solves the problem putting the issue somewhere in the XR500. Does anyone have any thoughts/workarounds to stop video streaming services from being flagged as DoS Attacks?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did it go through the setup wizard? I've sent you a PM to try with a newer firmware

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 19

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable the Geo-Filter, does it work then?
Message 2 of 19

I don't have any devices added to GeoFilter and not set the radius. Where would I disable the Geo Filter outright? Do I have to disable the r-app?

Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thats fine then you don't have it enabled. Delete any custom rules in Traffic Prioritization and disable DumaOS Classified Games and see if that resolves it
Message 4 of 19

I don't believe I have any of those set. The only thing I did after plugging in the router was upgrade firmware, set the SSID and passwords for 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. All other settings are default (Guest Wifi is off etc).

Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

DumaOS Classified Games is enabled by default. Also change DNS, thats most often the cause when specific services are blocked.
Message 6 of 19

Thanks, will give it a try tonight and let you know what I find.

Message 7 of 19

I can confirm that the changes didn't help 😞

A bit more investigation and I can confirm that if one of the three consoles is streaming from Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, the other ones cannot regardless of how they are connected to the router.

I tried Cloudflare Public DNS (1.1.1.1) and Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8) and neither helped with the issue. Neither did the gaming setting.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 8 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may be a bandwidth issue, what are your speeds?
Message 9 of 19

According to a speedtest pass, 283.90 Mbps down and 12.07 Mbps up.

Like I say, this only happens with the XR500 connected. The old router works as expected.

Message 10 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It could be to do with ports, have you put one of the consoles in DMZ by any chance or have any port forwarding setup? If so remove from DMZ and delete port forwarding and allow UPnP to do its job, does that resolve the issue?
Message 11 of 19

No DMZ used or port forwarding set up.

One thing I noticed is that none of the Android phones connected to the Wifi can access the Google Play Store either. They all time out with a "no Internet connection" message. That is even when nothing else is active on the router. But if you switch to any other app like Chrome, it does have an Internet connection.

Looking at network traffic for the phones while it is trying to access the store shows minimal downstream traffic and slightly higher upstream traffic from the phone connection but nothing that would suggest it is getting data through the router that it needs.

Tried running a test on the Google Play Store connection but nothing shows up in the router logs.

On the logging, all the options are selected, not sure if there is a way to enable additional logging to get more information?

Message 12 of 19

Regarding the Android phone part of the issue. That looks like it is known and mentioned in the other thread - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-drops-internet/m-p/1572449/highl...

Message 13 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fresh off a factory reset does the issue still occur? Disable QoS completely from Anti-Bufferbloats settings and see if that resolves it. If not we can look into more debug info.
Message 14 of 19

I did factory reset but with latest available firmware through the Dashboard. Not sure how to roll back the firmware or even if that is possible.

Same issues with the factory reset using the button on the back of the router.

Message 15 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did it go through the setup wizard? I've sent you a PM to try with a newer firmware
Message 16 of 19

It had gone through the Setup Wizard. I downloaded and installed the firmware you DM'd me and it seems to have resolved the issues on Android and Xbox One consoles in terms of multiple machines streaming. I'll let it run for a couple of days and let you know if I run into any issues as I try things out with different machines.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that it looks good so far.

Message 17 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update. Fingers crossed it continues.
Message 18 of 19

So I ran over the weekend on the new firmware and the router ran like a dream. No drops, no lost connections, no streaming issues on any console or Android device.

Thanks

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7