× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 bottlenecking

jeremyg237
Luminary

XR500 bottlenecking

All my XR 500 is currently bottlenecking wifi as well as failing connection benchmark tests from router. I tried a hard reset on modem and rebooted router as well. Let me know what you think. Tried a few things and cannot figure it out. 

Internet COX gigablast (1000mbs)

wifi ping 10, download 50 and upload 37 on all devises standing close or a room away.

XR500 benchmark test D speed, A+ ping and A+ underload 105 down and 36 up. (wired)

ookla speed test 27 ping, 900down 36 up (wired)

XR500 V2.3.2.134

QOS setting off

UPNP off

IPV6 auto detect. However tried auto config and DHCP.

Port forwarding off

Smart connect off

Message 1 of 21
microchip8
Master

Re: XR500 bottlenecking

Rebooting the router may not be enough. You may have to factory reset it and configure from scratch.
Message 2 of 21
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Interesting, so a speedtest while connected directly to the XR500 shows the correct speeds?

What devices have you been testing Wi-Fi from? 

Do you know if your ISP requires you use PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers?

When you say QoS is off, have you completely disabled it from the three-line menu in Congestion Control? If not, can you try that?

Message 3 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

Liam

Interesting, so a speedtest while connected directly to the XR500 shows the correct speeds? I dont think it is.

What devices have you been testing Wi-Fi from? 3 iphones, xbox and HP PC. 

Do you know if your ISP requires you use PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers? Will need to look this one up. 

When you say QoS is off, have you completely disabled it from the three-line menu in Congestion Control? Yes completely.  If not, can you try that? Cant because it is disabled

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

How is wireless and advanced wireless settings configured? 

Message 5 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try these suggestions:
Disable Smart Connect, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds
Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
Set the antennae to this position _ | | _
Message 6 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

Try these suggestions:
Disable Smart Connect, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply - you'll want to connect to 5GHz specifically for speeds. Already did that and was in my first post. 
Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that. Used it and no channel made a difference.
Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface. Of course
Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible. Of course
Set the antennae to this position _ | | _. Just tried it and did not work. 

Answer for previos questions.

COX uses DHCP

Did a hard reset.

Bench mark did go up however IPV6 is off. When I turn IPV6 back on I get a lower benchmark as well as a missing JSON response.

Seems to be something with IPV6 is my guess.

Message 7 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

All,

Did a factory reset and this is what happened.

1st it did a test and gave me flying colors. Then it did its thing and it all went away.

Message 8 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

Message 9 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

Seems to be an issue once the initial setup happens. Tried it 3 times and no joy. 

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the DHCP IP address range on the LAN side default or have you changed it to .100 thru .200? 

What browser are you using? 

Message 11 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the WiFi speed on speedtest.net now after the reset?
Message 12 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

All,

I have had theXR500 since 2018 and I was also an original netduma owner. I have had cox internet for longer and no I cant change to Verizon because Virginia Beach is ran by communists. Also I was here for the great QOS war. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Netgear CM1000

Is the DHCP IP address range on the LAN side default or have you changed it to .100 thru .200? Default. and tried changing it. No joy.

What browser are you using? I tried google chrome and the horrible microsoft edge. 

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

All,

Went out last night and got a XR1000. I will no longer be discussing issues on this thread about the XR500. However I will be discussing issues with the 2.5 wifi bottlenecking (75mbs) as well as geo filter (RPC error 'ERROR_CMDFAIL': Exec '//usr/bin/geoip -f /tmp/geoip_ipc2 -h -a "37" -l "-76"' failed with 1) issues about the XR1000. My over all internet speed went up to it norm while wired in. See you on the other side. Also I am not down loading Firefox. 

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you got a XR1000, please start a new thread. 

Thank you. 

Message 16 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Change the WiFi mode to 2400Mbps on 5GHz and see if it is faster then. Is this error appearing immediately the first time you access it or after changing an option?
Message 17 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

Of course. I am not brute.

Message 18 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you clarify what you mean in regards my comments above?
Message 19 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

Meaning, of course I will move this conversation over to XR1000. Seriously

Message 20 of 21
jeremyg237
Luminary

I see what happened. My internet was messing up when I replied to the other gentleman and you thought I was referring to you. I was not. However your quick fix did work for the XR1000 geo but I am having other issues which I have reported on message board. Over and out. 

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7