× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 cannot copy (write) to connected external hard drive.

WacoJohn
Luminary

XR500 cannot copy (write) to connected external hard drive.

I have two hard drives connected to the router.  They have both worked perfectly in the past.  One is a Western Digital and the other is a Seagate.  They are mapped in W10 Pro to M: And N: respectively.  I can copy a file to N: but not to M:.  I believe it is a permissions problem but cannot solve it.

Here is the ERROR, permissions for N: and permissions for M: (for comparison):

foo.png

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have support with Netgear? If so it would be worth making a ticket with Netgear directly and see what they can suggest

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 18

All Replies
WacoJohn
Luminary

Message 2 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

foo.png

Message 3 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

I give up.  Can't imbed screen shot.  Can't delete a post.  Can't delete a reply.  

Message 4 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

When did you start noticing this?

Were there any change to the network recently around the time this issue started?

What firmware version are you currently running?

If you include your screenshot as an attachment to the post, I should be able to see if without waiting for it to be moderated.

Message 5 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

When did you start noticing this?

Were there any change to the network recently around the time this issue started?

What firmware version are you currently running?

If you include your screenshot as an attachment to the post, I should be able to see if without waiting for it to be moderated.

1.  After Gearhead helped me sort out adding a 2nd HD to the router.  The one thing we did not test was writing to them.

2.  Not that I know of.

3.  2.3.2.130

By the way ... I think I understand imbedded and attached screen shots as well as reporting posts.  Thank you for helping me get that down.

Message 6 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK sure, thanks for clarifying.

As a member of the Netduma team, I don't have an awful lot of experience with ReadyShare as it's Netgear's feature, but I'll do my best to help!

If you go to Settings -> USB Storage -> ReadyShare Storage then find the troublesome drive, hit Edit and see what the Write access is set to there. Can you change it to 'All'?

Message 7 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

OK sure, thanks for clarifying.

As a member of the Netduma team, I don't have an awful lot of experience with ReadyShare as it's Netgear's feature, but I'll do my best to help!

If you go to Settings -> USB Storage -> ReadyShare Storage then find the troublesome drive, hit Edit and see what the Write access is set to there. Can you change it to 'All'?

Is set to ALL.  I may have to go back to Gearhead.  They have been GREAT for a couple of years, but the last tech I think was a newhire.  Did not seem to know what he was doing ... believe me.  I dismissed him and said I will call back if I can't fix it myself ... then came here. 

Question .... if I did not have a Gearhead contract, which community would I post in for Readyshare issues??

Message 8 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There isn’t a specific community for ReadySHARE unfortunately. If you have one drive in at a time can you write to them both then?
Message 9 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
There isn’t a specific community for ReadySHARE unfortunately. If you have one drive in at a time can you write to them both then?

I will have to try that and see.

Assuming 'permissions' are changeable, what do you think about setting the permissions of M: to match shose of N:?  I have tried doing that and either it can't be done, or I don't know how to do it.  Also, that may or may not be on a per machine basis. 

The problem exists on ALL computers on the home network which suggests (to me) it is something in Readyshare (Duma).  This is why I am looking for expertise.

Message 10 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have support with Netgear? If so it would be worth making a ticket with Netgear directly and see what they can suggest
Message 11 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

I have a contract with GearHead which I think is a 3rd party outfit OFFERED by Netgear.  They have been great for me ever since I bought the XR500 a few years ago ... until lately.  My last session with them ON THIS problem was disappointing.  Maybe I will get a better tech if I call them back, which ... seems like what I will have to do.  As usual, .. thank YOU for your help and time.

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I have my XR450 online and will check into this as well. 

How are the drives formatter? NTFS? FAT32? 

What are the sizes of these drives your using? 

@WacoJohn wrote:

I have two hard drives connected to the router.  They have both worked perfectly in the past.  One is a Western Digital and the other is a Seagate.  They are mapped in W10 Pro to M: And N: respectively.  I can copy a file to N: but not to M:.  I believe it is a permissions problem but cannot solve it.

Here is the ERROR, permissions for N: and permissions for M: (for comparison):

foo.png

Message 13 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I have my XR450 online and will check into this as well. 

How are the drives formatter? NTFS? FAT32? 

What are the sizes of these drives your using? 

NTFS

8 TB

10TB

I've been dinkin around with it.... i deleted the problem drive from Duma and reconnected.  No fix though.  Thank you for the reply.

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, so other that drive size differences, I was able to write to 1st 250Gb USB drive. 

Then installed a 2nd 32Gb thumb drive and also write to it.

USBReadyShare2Drives.png

I use the Share Name path in Map Drive to get Explorer to access the drives:

This is the 250Gb drive installed by itself: Port 1

I placed data on it already prior to installing on the router to see if data would populate.

250GbUSBDriveExplorer.png

This is the 32Gb Thumb drive installed WITH the 250Gb USB mechanical drive: Port 2

32GbUSBDriveExplorer.png

I formatted the thumb drive for NTFS and left it empty. After installation and map drive. I dragged some files over to the explorer window from the desktop and the files copied over successfully. 

Wondering if your situation could be a drive size issue. 

Can you try two smaller USB drives as a comparison test to see if the problem continues? 

Message 15 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

Wondering if your situation could be a drive size issue. 

Can you try two smaller USB drives as a comparison test to see if the problem continues? 

Worked fine for several days.

Yes, ... I can but will have to try it tomorrow.  THANK you for all your time and assistance. 

I will get back to you soon.

Message 16 of 18
WacoJohn
Luminary

without whining about how hard it was to trace down the problem, suffice to say the problem drive needed to be formatted.  A W10 quick format (restoring device defaults) did the trick.  Thank you ALL again for the excellent support. 

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7