× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 cannot enable HT160.

azza10
Tutor

XR500 cannot enable HT160.

I have recently upgraded the WiFi card in one of my devices from an Intel AC3165 (433Mb) to an Intel AC9260 based on the fact that it supports MU-MIMO, 2x2 streams, and 1.7Gbps link rate.
The XR500 also is supposed to support 1.7Gbps link rate.
So I wiped drivers, swapped chips over, installed new drivers from Intel.
And 866Mb link rate.
I poked around in the XR500 wireless settings and find HT160 is greyed out and cannot be selected. I am on the latest xxxxxx.32 firmware, set up by hand from a hard reset.

I am in Australia and have the location set as such in wireless. In my admitted limited searching, Australia does have laws that permit the use of DFS in part of the AC spectrum with a range of channels in the middle not allowed. I understand it is unlikely I will be able to achieve the full link rate advertised based on this, however I didn't expect to not even have the option to try it out.

Please advise.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

It’s effectively an R7800 internally so it supports HT160, I use it with 9260ac in my Inspiron 7577. To use HT160 it has to be the lower channels as the 9260ac only supports contiguous HT160 and not 80+80 split bonding. Additionally if it’s not working /allowing you to use HT160 it could be due to local regulations/region settings preventing its use.
Message 2 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You will need to disable Smart Connect and you should then be able to enable HT160.
Message 3 of 16
azza10
Tutor

Avtella, what channel should I be selecting? Is there region I can select that is known to work so I can see if it is functioning properly on a known good region?

Fraser, I already have smart connect unchecked. Do I need to also disable coexistence or another setting?
Message 4 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay very odd, no you shouldn't have to. I can enable it being in the UK. It may be your region as above, I don't think there is an option for you to change region as it would go against regulations. Best bet is probably to phone Netgears direct support line.
Message 5 of 16
azza10
Tutor

So I dropped transmit power to 25% and changed region, I tried to use UK as it was known working and found my device didn't have it as an option... Tried the USA region and ht160 can be enabled.
So it is region related.

I have since looked up the federal regulations and checked the ACMA site out and it's pretty clear to me in the federal regulations that I should be able to enable HT160 provided the xr500 can do DFS and TPC. It does DFS, TPC would be entirely firmware related unless I'm missing something.

Why can I not enable Ht160 and use the channels I am allowed to use?

This router is advertised as capable of 1.7Gb WiFi. If I was in a region that did not allow it I understand. However to the best of my knowledge I am in a region where it is allowed.

The regulations I am looking at are here:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00500
Message 6 of 16
azza10
Tutor

I just attempted to contact Netgear support about this issue to find my "complimentary 90 day support" doesnt exist. For a start, what kind of bullsh*t is "complimentary 90 day support"?

Do you support your product or not, Netgear?

Second, why am I being denied support roughly 5 weeks after I've purchased it?

Getting real over this crap on a $450 router.
Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't comment on Netgears support choices but I will let a team member know regarding the region miscalculation for HT160
Message 8 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

Select the 36-44 control channels for HT160 to work. Also note that the secondary channels used to create 160Mhz of bandwidth lie in the DFS spectrum so weather radars and govt utilitization takes priority and if the router detects those it will prevent usage of the affected DFS channels meaning you won’t have HT160 and it will keep you on the 80Mhz of non DFS channels. So that could also be another reason why HT160 isn’t working, maybe the router detected priority devices as mentioned above preventing operating in that mode.

Note that I use an R7800 but internal hardware is the same.
Message 9 of 16
azza10
Tutor

Avtella,
I have since played around on the US region as it uses DFS for all the same channels as Australia, so I figured it wouldn't interfere with anything it shouldn't.

It works on the US region, with link rate jumping between 1.1-1.7Gb. In the Australian region I can't enable the HT160 check box, so there is something wrong in the firmware unless I'm mistaken somehow as to what frequencies I can use in Australia.

Enabling it in US then switching region doesn't make it work either.

Thanks, Isaac.
Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've let a Netgear team member know who's heavily involved with the XR500 so hopefully they'll have a solution or can work on a fix
Message 11 of 16
azza10
Tutor

Thanks Fraser, appreciate it mate.
Message 12 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

Delete
Message 13 of 16
avtella
Prodigy

Looks like AU region should have contiguous 160 MHz of spectrum available in lower channels so it is odd.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 14 of 16
ericpouliot
Aspirant

i live in quebec canada and the ht160mhz is greyed for me i cant enable it. does future firmware update will fix that ?
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have forwarded the issue to the XR700 Netgear team, it is something that can be fixed in a firmware update but I do not know if it will be included in the next one.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7