× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 causes cm1000 to reboot and die

Usera
Guide

XR500 causes cm1000 to reboot and die

• Modem - NetGear CM1000
  • Old router - NetGear N750
  • New router - NetGear Nighthawk XR500
  • ISP - Cox Communications

Backstory - Our internet connection has been sporadically losing connection for a while so Cox said that we needed to get a new router because the old router was not able to handle the load from the modem.

So we bought the NetGear Nighthawk XR500

Issue - once we went through the setup wizard the PCs connected through LAN and devices connected through wifi had connection for several about 5 minutes then the modem would reboot. Once the modem rebooted, it would not get any connection to the internet (no lights on the modem were on).
Only after doing a hard reboot of the modem would it get a connection from the internet but once a connection was made to the router the modem would die again.

I exchanged the first Nighthawk XR500 and got another Nighthawk XR500 and ran into the same issues.
After spending time with my ISP I decided to see if my old router will still work.
I hooked it up and no more dying modem.

We are still dealing with the sporadic connection loss through the day, but the modem is not rebooting.

Is the Nighthawk XR500 not compatible with the CM1000?
Why does the Nighthawl XR500 cause the CM1000 to die?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Usera
Guide

Re: XR500 causes cm1000 to reboot and die

Yesterday I plugged the modem directly to the wall ilo the powerstrip and powercycled the router.

Since then there has been no isues of the modem rebooting.

Since the XR500 draws more power than the N750, I assume that the modem was not getting enough power causing it to reboot.

Thank you @Netduma-Fraser and @Netduma_Jack for your help with this issue!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's really strange - it sounds like your modem may have a problem, but I'm not sure what could be triggering it in the XR500.

It's a longshot, but you could try changing the MAC address on the router. Perhaps change it to the same as your upstream modem? You can do this in >Advanced >Internet setup

Message 2 of 8
Usera
Guide

Hi @Netduma_Jack , thank you for the reply.

The Netgear tech that I spoke to last week thought that it might be the modem as well so he sent me a replacement.

The replacement came yesterday, and I just activated it with my ISP.

The problem still persists. 

I did try changing the mac address from the mac address on the router box to "use this computers mac address"

Im not sure if this is what you ment by change the mac address to use the same address as the modem upstream.

seems like the modem dies about every 30 minutes.

So ill wait a few to see if the mac address change fixes the issue.

If not ill try to update the router firmware (the NetGear tech recommended downgrading to v x.22).

Message 3 of 8
Usera
Guide

Updated firmware, rebooted both modem and router and wired device used to setup router and still the same issue.

Going to call netgear tomorrow .
Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Usera, a router making the modem reboot does not sound right to me. Is the router and modem plugged into the same outlet? Have you checked that the outlet is outputting sufficient power for the modem to run? If its in an extender it should be connected directly to the wall.
Message 5 of 8
Usera
Guide

Hi @Netduma-Fraser, I agree that it doesnt sound right.

The XR500 is plugged into a powerstrip.

Ill plug the XR500 directly to the wall to see if that resolves the issue.

Message 6 of 8
Usera
Guide

Yesterday I plugged the modem directly to the wall ilo the powerstrip and powercycled the router.

Since then there has been no isues of the modem rebooting.

Since the XR500 draws more power than the N750, I assume that the modem was not getting enough power causing it to reboot.

Thank you @Netduma-Fraser and @Netduma_Jack for your help with this issue!

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic to hear that and very happy the issue is resolved!
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7