× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 compatible with sky fibre

Kushy58
Apprentice

XR500 compatible with sky fibre

Hi there if I decide to buy the XR500 will it work on sky fibre pro ? Any help appreciated 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Kushy, you should have no problems getting it to work with Sky Fibre. The Setup Wizard that happens when you first load up the router will detect your internet type and will automatically setup for you or if needed ask you questions but it should be very straight forward.
Message 2 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi thanks for reply, the reason I ask is sky don’t like us using other routers and won’t tell us the info we need to set up the non sky router. Also another question does the XR500 work well with the Xbox one X ?

Message 3 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You should be fine, if you have any trouble we can help out. Yes it works very well with Xbox!
Message 4 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi thanks can I ask what is the main difference between the XR500 and the X6S please as these are my final two selections and I will buy one or the other also what modem would you recommend to use with them ?

Message 5 of 22
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kushy58,

Below are the links for the specs of both routers:

Please let me know if you need anything else. :]

XR500:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/XR500.pdf

X6S:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/R8000P.pdf

- Jason N

Message 6 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't mention the specifics on the X6S as I haven't used it personally but the XR500 has DumaOS which was built from the ground up with gaming in mind. It includes features not present on any other router such as the Geo-Filter which allows you to get the closest hosts available for your gaming to combat lag caused by distance (no other router does this). Our QoS is world class ensuring that no matter what is being done on your network streaming, downloading etc that everyone can do that without lag. It also automatically prioritises your games and gaming devices to ensure a low ping. A customisable dashboard that you can configure with your favourite features so you can change them at any time on one screen.

As it's an actual operating system we can develop very fast. We have tons of features on the roadmap. Our next update will have at least 2 new features.

Theres no particular modem I recommend other than don't get one with a puma 6 chip as it has latency issues.
Message 7 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there thanks for the reply I am being sold on the XR500 more and more. I was thinking of using your hi-speed modem the DM200 and do you think I will need to use wireshark to get my sky Q router info to put in the XR500 ? 

Message 8 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

Thank you for the reply and the specs 

Message 9 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

Also I forgot to mention with sky fibre pro I get a static IP address 

Message 10 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You shouldn't need Wireshark in order to do that, should just work straight away or it will be easier to find the username/password if needed. Static IP is fine as well as the XR500 will be behind the Sky hub still. Just need to put Sky hub in modem mode or XR500 in its DMZ and have every device connected to the XR500.
Message 11 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

So I will connect from the BT pre filtered socket to the sky Q router with it set to modem mode and then to the XR500 ? 

Message 12 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes exactly!
Message 13 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there, so I won’t need to buy a modem then as the sky Q router will act as it. 

Message 14 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's right, I'm unsure if they allow you to do away with the hub completely but for all intents and purposes you only need the router.
Message 15 of 22
Kushy58
Apprentice

I did actually ask them and got the in terms and conditions they don’t allow other routers. So by turning it into a modem I’m still technically keeping it lol. Well I shall order the XR500 in ten days once my line has gone through their testing phase to get my best line speed it is supposed to be minimum of 68Mpbs max of 80Mpbs download and upload of 20Mpbs 

Message 16 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Haha definitely! Great to hear you'll be purchasing the XR500, we're sure you'll love it. If you have any further questions between now and then or after we'll be happy to help!
Message 17 of 22
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Ni.

If you want to use the sky q box as Fraser said that is ok. Just remember to turn off it's wifi features, turn off UPnP on the skq q also, connect the XR500 and in the sky q box make the ip it gives the xr500 static then add that ip to DMZ,  

B.D

Message 18 of 22
Cwinston89
Aspirant

I have very high ping since connecting to Sky and even though I have tried the DMZ im still getting moderate NAT, I am not a networker and generally think I have made the situation worse. I have tried speaking to Netgear unfortunatley they turned geofilter on and off and advised this should fix the problem :/, suprisingly did not. I was going to switch to Virgin as I will be able to put that into modem mode, but have been quoted another price since.

I really need someone who knows what there doing to remote access and fix this problem, otherwise unfortunatley I will have to send this router back.

Please help 😞 

Message 19 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Cwinston, I replied to the post you made on the Netduma forum 🙂
Message 20 of 22
Cwinston89
Aspirant

Hi Guys after weeks of being frustrated I have gone through loads of networking videos, tests etc etc.
I believe the issue I have been having after monitoring the network monitor for an hour whilst playing games is that this might have something to do with the PS4.

I have set the PS4 in DMZ mode and port triggering and hyper traffic prioritised this is also in duma os as well. I do get open nat which is good.

However looking at the network monitor every device except the PS4 seems to get prioritised bandwidth more eg Netflix, separate computer I have tried qos at 70/70 giving full priority to the PS4. However as soon as a device is on I lose all my bandwidth to that.

It seems strange because when I have used an Ethernet to my laptop and played a game the router does what it is supposed to and puts all the bandwidth to that device.

However on my ps4 with Ethernet it seems to be getting pushed to the bottom of the queqe I have tried to reboot router to no avail I have even tried to reset sky router back to factory settings.

I do not understand why I cannot get the router to play all with the PS4 I have also tried multiple ports and Ethernet cables.

Can you please help!!!!
Message 21 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

i'm not really sure I understand what you mean by getting low priority. As long as it's Traffic Prioritization is active then it is ahead of everything else on your network. That does not mean it gets more bandwidth. Games do not require much bandwidth to run efficiently.

If there are devices connected to the hub rather than the XR500 then that could QoS to not work at full capacity as it can't control those devices. Are you experiencing lag on the PS4? What's your average ping on the Geo-Filter when playing a game?

I would also advise checking out these guides:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7