Reply

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

Talontedd
Apprentice

XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

Has anyone encountered my issue and do they have a resolution or recommendation?  I have a couple devices that bounce between offline and online status and I can not get them to remai stable or explain why.  

 

Device #1 - Printer wireless, 2.4GHz, bounces offline online in device manager, more off than online.  Tried dynamic and static IP setting, no change.  Printer is EPSON WF3540.  Printer itself on it's own touchscreen always shows it is connected to wireless metwork.  It will print just fine with print command.

 

Device #2 - Hardwired switch, Netgear SX10.  In device manager devices boucnes between states every minute or so.  All devices attached to switch remain showing as always online, no apparent loss in connectivity observed.

 

 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

If no data is passing through it will switch to offline, once data is detected it will go online again. No issue, just expected behaviour.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

If no data is passing through it will switch to offline, once data is detected it will go online again. No issue, just expected behaviour.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
rhettww
Tutor

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

As someone who manages networks for a living this is a TERRIBLE design.  If the device is powered on and connected to the network, it should not show as offline.  No network monitoring systems reports it this way.  If my system at work did this I would be getting notified 24/7 by false alerts.  Please FIX this.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

Are you seeing this issue your self? Ya agree, nothing connected to the router should show as off line when connected, or even if no data is flowing. 


@rhettww wrote:

As someone who manages networks for a living this is a TERRIBLE design.  If the device is powered on and connected to the network, it should not show as offline.  No network monitoring systems reports it this way.  If my system at work did this I would be getting notified 24/7 by false alerts.  Please FIX this.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 9
rhettww
Tutor

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

Also, this is not true that it will show back up as active.  I have an ArloQ wifi camera that is showing offline, I can connect to it and watch live video for over 10 minutes and it still is showing offline.  

 

Right now it looks like anything attached to my EX7500 and not directly to the XR500 is showing offline even though I can ping several of them by name and even started a video stream using netflix.  Still showing offline.  I have updated the firmware on both devices.  On the XR500 I have it broadcasting just one SID but the EX7500 I have broadcasting a name for the 2.4 and one for the 5 just to see what I am connecting too.  I am still mapping the house for dead spots so I want to see what I am connected too.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

Thanks for the feedback - it's very rare for a device to be completely idle (but connected), so we don't ever really hear of this issue. But it appears to have happened here, so we will look to tighten it more in the future.

Message 6 of 9
rhettww
Tutor

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

I am seeing this issue right now.  I have multiple devices offline including devices currently on the internet.  As I mentioned in my other post, this might be a problem with the EX7500.  All of the devices that show offline including my ArloQ and Ring doorbell are connected to the extender.

Edit:  my Freenas server is showing offline and it is connected to the router via a 2nd 8 port switch.  It has a hardcoded IP address and it pinging. 

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you seeing this issue your self? Ya agree, nothing connected to the router should show as off line when connected, or even if no data is flowing. 


@rhettww wrote:

As someone who manages networks for a living this is a TERRIBLE design.  If the device is powered on and connected to the network, it should not show as offline.  No network monitoring systems reports it this way.  If my system at work did this I would be getting notified 24/7 by false alerts.  Please FIX this.


 


 

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online

What do you devices show as if you take out the EX7500 and turn it OFF? 


@rhettww wrote:

I am seeing this issue right now.  I have multiple devices offline including devices currently on the internet.  As I mentioned in my other post, this might be a problem with the EX7500.  All of the devices that show offline including my ArloQ and Ring doorbell are connected to the extender.

Edit:  my Freenas server is showing offline and it is connected to the router via a 2nd 8 port switch.  It has a hardcoded IP address and it pinging. 

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you seeing this issue your self? Ya agree, nothing connected to the router should show as off line when connected, or even if no data is flowing. 


@rhettww wrote:

As someone who manages networks for a living this is a TERRIBLE design.  If the device is powered on and connected to the network, it should not show as offline.  No network monitoring systems reports it this way.  If my system at work did this I would be getting notified 24/7 by false alerts.  Please FIX this.


 


 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 9
rhettww
Tutor

Re: XR500 devices bounce between offline / online


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What do you devices show as if you take out the EX7500 and turn it OFF? 


@rhettww wrote:

I am seeing this issue right now.  I have multiple devices offline including devices currently on the internet.  As I mentioned in my other post, this might be a problem with the EX7500.  All of the devices that show offline including my ArloQ and Ring doorbell are connected to the extender.

Edit:  my Freenas server is showing offline and it is connected to the router via a 2nd 8 port switch.  It has a hardcoded IP address and it pinging. 

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you seeing this issue your self? Ya agree, nothing connected to the router should show as off line when connected, or even if no data is flowing. 


@rhettww wrote:

As someone who manages networks for a living this is a TERRIBLE design.  If the device is powered on and connected to the network, it should not show as offline.  No network monitoring systems reports it this way.  If my system at work did this I would be getting notified 24/7 by false alerts.  Please FIX this.


 


 


 


I have been able to replicate using my phone that if I connect directly to the router, my phone shows up as active.  If I switch to the extender, it immediately goes to an offline status.  I left it for several minutes and it stayed offline.  I was able to repeat this multiple times to confirm the results.  As soon as I reconnect to the router directly it will go back online.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4178 views
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E