× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 disconnect issuse

ulcerz
Guide

XR500 disconnect issuse

Since I have purchased my XR500 it disconnects between 5-20 times daily on both wi-fi and ethernet connections. From reading the forums and dealing with Netgear's terrible customer service this sounds like a very common problem with no real solid answer on a fix. When connected directly into my modem with either my computer or xbox one I do not experience any issues. I have reset my modem and router countless times, changed all ethernet cable connecting everything multiple times with new cat6 cables, factory reset the router, re-setup the router, downgraded firmware from current (. 40) to.32, and.22, with no changes.I have had 2 "appointments" with Netgear senior techs where they never called on a pre selected date and time. (took off work both times to try to fix this issue) After calling them for the 7th time and being on hold for 25 minutes the senior tech had me change my wifi channels, mtu size,and lower my speed on wifi channels, and advised me to "keep playing with the wi-fi channels". Every time you call they make sure to remind you that your complimentary service is expiring and so is your warranty........ what a joke. My $60 router I had before this did not have any of these issues, while this $290 paper weight has been lack luster at best.

Now I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this subject at all, but from looking at the logs these issues seem to happen every time a DHCP lease allocation happens. I'm hoping someone on here is more knowledgeable and can point me in the right direction of a fix. Or at least make a recommendation on a router with a reliable connection, good wifi range, and can handle 400mb/s with room to grow for more speed down the line.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Smart Connect, Beamforming, and MIMO enabled? 

What devices do you have connected to the router, both wired and wireless? 

Have your tried a FW file reload then factory ERASE and setup from scratch? 

You might try loading Firmware Version 2.0.0.28, then reset and setup from scratch.

Also after setting from from scratch, change the default IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.200. 

@ulcerz wrote:

Since I have purchased my XR500 it disconnects between 5-20 times daily on both wi-fi and ethernet connections. From reading the forums and dealing with Netgear's terrible customer service this sounds like a very common problem with no real solid answer on a fix. When connected directly into my modem with either my computer or xbox one I do not experience any issues. I have reset my modem and router countless times, changed all ethernet cable connecting everything multiple times with new cat6 cables, factory reset the router, re-setup the router, downgraded firmware from current (. 40) to.32, and.22, with no changes.I have had 2 "appointments" with Netgear senior techs where they never called on a pre selected date and time. (took off work both times to try to fix this issue) After calling them for the 7th time and being on hold for 25 minutes the senior tech had me change my wifi channels, mtu size,and lower my speed on wifi channels, and advised me to "keep playing with the wi-fi channels". Every time you call they make sure to remind you that your complimentary service is expiring and so is your warranty........ what a joke. My $60 router I had before this did not have any of these issues, while this $290 paper weight has been lack luster at best.

Now I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this subject at all, but from looking at the logs these issues seem to happen every time a DHCP lease allocation happens. I'm hoping someone on here is more knowledgeable and can point me in the right direction of a fix. Or at least make a recommendation on a router with a reliable connection, good wifi range, and can handle 400mb/s with room to grow for more speed down the line.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Message 2 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

The modem is a Hitron Technologies E31N2V1 that I have to use provided by my internet provider. currently using auto on 2.4GHz, and 153 on 5GHz. I had tried 3 different channels on each band, at the suggestion of the senior tech but with no success i had them written down but threw away the paper with the numbers on it. I think they were 1,3,10 and 161, 157, 153 maybe. As for neighboring wifi I don't have any that show up other than mine. Smart connect, beamforming and mu-mimo are enabled currently. Wired connections are a computer and xbox one, wireless connections are 3 smart tv's, another xbox one and at times 2 phones.

And yes each time i updated or downgraded the firmware i believe I have factory erased (hold reset button for 60 seconds?) and then setup from scratch. I will try 2.0.0.28, reset and setup and try changing the ip pool and let you know how I make out. Thank you for the help.

Message 3 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would also suggest that you set static IPs for the router itself (WAN in Internet Setup) and for your LAN devices. If DHCP either on the router or the Hitron is the issue then that should help.
Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Channels to try are 1, 6 and 11 or 13 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channels on 5Ghz. 

I think your ISP modem is a modem only. 

It's not advised to set a static ON the WAN port of the router, unless you have ISP Support permission for this. Most ISP required Dynamic DHCP. 

Let us know if downgrading and reset and setup from scratch shows anything different? 

@ulcerz wrote:

The modem is a Hitron Technologies E31N2V1 that I have to use provided by my internet provider. currently using auto on 2.4GHz, and 153 on 5GHz. I had tried 3 different channels on each band, at the suggestion of the senior tech but with no success i had them written down but threw away the paper with the numbers on it. I think they were 1,3,10 and 161, 157, 153 maybe. As for neighboring wifi I don't have any that show up other than mine. Smart connect, beamforming and mu-mimo are enabled currently. Wired connections are a computer and xbox one, wireless connections are 3 smart tv's, another xbox one and at times 2 phones.

And yes each time i updated or downgraded the firmware i believe I have factory erased (hold reset button for 60 seconds?) and then setup from scratch. I will try 2.0.0.28, reset and setup and try changing the ip pool and let you know how I make out. Thank you for the help.

Message 5 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

I will try doing this as well, thank you.

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping we can get this working better for you. 

Message 7 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

Thank you both for the suggestions, I have downgraded the firmware to .28, reset the router, setup from scratch, and have the channels set to 11 and 161. I also set static ip's for the 2 lan devices. I will let you know how this works.

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Static IPs are set ON the devices outside of the default IP address pool on the router, if your wanting to Reserve IP addressses for devices, this is done ON the router. Just to be clear. 

Be sure to downsize the routers default IP address pool as well.

Message 9 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Tuesday, January 29, 2019 09:49:24

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Tuesday, January 29, 2019 09:49:24

followed by my first disconnect since changing all these settings

Message 10 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

Okay, then I set reserve ip adresses for the 2 wired devices. I did reduce the ip pool to the threshold you gave me earlier.

Message 11 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might have been because of the changes you made that it was just adjusting. Make sure you set a static IP in Internet Setup as well, then do a reboot after and continue to monitor
Message 12 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

When you set up reserved IP addresses, after saving the setting, reboot the router and the 2 wired devices. 

Message 13 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

That makes sense, I have since rebooted both devices and router and will see how it goes.

Message 14 of 28
JJDredd
Aspirant

I am no expert on routers.

Just a couple things to think about.

Have you had your ISP tech come out to verify that your service coming into the home isn't generating errors?

I know you said you don't drop when connected to the modem, however the modem is more resilient than the router when handling errors.

There are a number of things that could affect your service like a simple bad bond at the side of your home and right now you are troubleshooting from the very end.

P.S. over the phone ISP techs is a waste of time. You need boots on the ground to really make sure their service is spot on.
Message 15 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

I have been home for about an hour and have restarted the wired devices that I reserved ip's for and restarted the router as soon as I walked into my house. I have already disconnected once about 6 minutes ago. I have had my isp out to my house once already and they said everything looked good on their end. Just really not sure where to go from here.

Message 16 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you set a static IP for the WAN as well?
Message 17 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

Is it under internet setup, under internet ip address? If so I just switched it to static and reset all devices and the router and will see how it goes

Message 18 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's exactly right, okay keep us updated!
Message 19 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

Still disconnecting all wired and wireless devices with the same DHCP new event/DHCP lease change message in the logs whenever it disconnects.

Message 20 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded? 

Have you gone back to first version of released FW by chance? 

Seems to be a DHCP handling issue between the ISP modem and the router. 

Do you have your prior router handy by chance? 

@ulcerz wrote:

Still disconnecting all wired and wireless devices with the same DHCP new event/DHCP lease change message in the logs whenever it disconnects.

Message 21 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

V2.0.0.28

Message 22 of 28
ulcerz
Guide

I dont have my prior router, I threw it away when I got this router. (the wifi range was terrible and didn't reach my upstairs smart tvs)

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if this is happening on both old and recent FW, I can only think of that there is a problem with this current router/FW and you would need to try another to confirm it with this modem your using. 

You could file a support ticket and go thru the motions with NG. They may ask you for some router debug logs that could help them identify where the issue maybe. They could send you an RMA to test with to see if the problem still continues or not. I recently did this late last year with my XR450. Was not a problem as both router were doing what they were supposed to. I just shipped the RMA unit back is all. They paid the shipping. 

Or the Modem and this model router are having some compatibility issues and you would need to test a different model modem to confirm it. There a nieghbor, family or friend where you could take the XR router too to see if it works on there modem system? 

Message 24 of 28
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - first of all I would recommend upgrading back to the latest version if the older versions have not solved the issue: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.40.zip

Then try a full factory reset. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

If the issue continues after that, I would recommend contacting NETGEAR support directly: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 25 of 28
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7