× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 disconnects from cablemodem multiple times per day

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 disconnects from cablemodem multiple times per day

One thing you can try, install the prior D-Link router. Connect the XR router behind the D-Link router. Use the DMZ on the D-Link router for the IP address the XR router gets from the D-Link router. See if the XR router continues to disconnect from the internet. 

Message 26 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you give the XR500 a static IP in Internet Setup and on the ISP hub please? That way if a disconnect does happen it should be able to resolve the reconnect
Message 27 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Some ISPs don't allow for STATIC IPs to be set on there modems or routers. Espeically when the connection is a Dynamic DHCP connection. If the router or modem disconnects after setting a static IP address, remove it and revert back to Dynamic DHCP. 

Message 28 of 30
Aaarrgh
Tutor

Update:  

So far the connection has been up for almost 6 days with no disconnects.  The only thing that the Netgear support had me change was the DNS.  I'm now using 1.0.0.1 instead of the Cox Cable DNS that the router was getting automatically.  

I did not end up trying setting a static IP for the router (didn't want to make multiple changes).

Anyhow, I'll give it another day or two, but so far the connection appears stable.  

Question for you guys though... why in the world would using a different DNS server make a difference here.  Does the router just not recover properly if the Cox DNS has issues?

Thanks for the help. 

Message 29 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Some ISPs DNS are spotty sometimes. Is NOT suppose to be like that or effect connections however it does. DNS and IP is part of the DHCP handling with the ISP Modem and services, you can get an IP and DNS addresses, however if the actual services are not working, especally with DNS, then this can effect internet access. You would need to let your ISP know about this if your having problems with there DNS being used. 

You can try 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 as well. I use these if ISP DNS doesn't work well for me. 

You don't always have to use ISP DNS. 

@Aaarrgh wrote:

Update:  

So far the connection has been up for almost 6 days with no disconnects.  The only thing that the Netgear support had me change was the DNS.  I'm now using 1.0.0.1 instead of the Cox Cable DNS that the router was getting automatically.  

I did not end up trying setting a static IP for the router (didn't want to make multiple changes).

Anyhow, I'll give it another day or two, but so far the connection appears stable.  

Question for you guys though... why in the world would using a different DNS server make a difference here.  Does the router just not recover properly if the Cox DNS has issues?

Thanks for the help. 

Message 30 of 30
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7