× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 double NAT on xbox one x

lhall98
Aspirant

XR500 double NAT on xbox one x

Hey all, first post needing some help. My girlfriend got me an XR500 for Christmas and I immediately set it up. I called the ISP and had them switch their modem/router to bridge mode. The connection is great on phones/computers and other devices, however I have a moderate NAT type with a double nat detected on my xbox one x. I have searched the internet for a couple months and had several phone calls with the ISP and cannot get this resolved. I assume there are some settings within the DumaOS that I need to change to fix this but I am not very knowledgable with all these settings. Any help is appreciated and thanks!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 double NAT on xbox one x

You definitely shouldn't have double NAT if the ISP hub is in bridge mode, do you have access to the ISP hub interface generally? If so I would get them to switch back to router mode or if you can and then put the XR WAN IP (found in System Information) into the hub DMZ instead. First in WAN Settings change NAT to Open as that may be a simpler solution.
Message 2 of 8
lhall98
Aspirant

I do not have access to the ISP hub interface. I had to call them to get them to switch it to bridge mode. I called them again today and made them check that it was set up properly in bridge mode and they said that it was. I will check the WAN settings and see what I can find
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay try that option first and let us know how you get on!
Message 4 of 8
lhall98
Aspirant

I changed NAT filtering to open. Looks like that may have worked. Do I need to setup the VPN to protect my network?

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No it's not necessary to do that unless you want to. If you want to do so then it would require a subscription with a third party VPN provider.
Message 6 of 8
lhall98
Aspirant

Okay, thanks so much for the help! Is leaving the NAT filtering open dangerous in any way?
Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're welcome! It's not ideal but the router does still have a firewall so you should be fine - I myself use it.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7