× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 dropping LAN and WiFi connection when dloading on PS4 rest mode

Slippin_Jimmy
Aspirant

XR500 dropping LAN and WiFi connection when dloading on PS4 rest mode

Having an odd issue with my XR500. On software version: V2.3.2.56. I'm in Australia we are connected to the NBN via FTTC, and the router is connected to a NCD device which is Netcomm NDD-0300(This is supllied to everyone, it cannot be changed it, also cannot be taken with you when you move house for example).

Now I am usually a PC gamer and haven't used my PS4 to download anything in a long time other than game updates which are typically small in size, and are done when the PS4 is on. It's been over 12 months, no major issues, router has done it's job.

However lately I've been using the PS4 and downloading full games and utilising rest mode to do so. It's a great feature. However it doesn't seem to play nice with the router when doing so. I have observed it constantly dropping the connection to the PS4 when downloading games in rest mode at a period of every 30 minutes or so. The light on the router goes orange/red and you can see just by looking at the network monitor it goes from downloading between 90-100Mbps to nothing.

This also happens when connected via WiFi. The PS4 has a reserved IP. The PS4 itself has all options/boxes ticked to work as it should. I also yesterday replaced the SSHD with an SSD, full reinstall of system software, issues still persist.

I have factory reset the router several times. I have power cycled the NCD and kicked the connection to force resync.

The only thing which brought some relief was disabling the option in LAN setup "Use router as DHCP server", I managed to download for 5 hours straight in rest mode via LAN but then the light went orange, hoping the downloads were finished I started it up but no, it had been halted again.

Worth noting our Internet connection is very stable, we're not having dropouts or losing sync on any devices, and the PS4 downloads fine as long as it's left on, but something to do with rest mode and this router is causing issues.

I have tested it with the cheap ISP supllied router and there is no issues in rest mode.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 dropping LAN and WiFi connection when dloading on PS4 rest mode

It is odd that DHCP off would fix it but only momentarily. This reminds me of an issue awhile ago where the sort of WOL (wake on LAN) doesn't work correctly all the time. Do you have a switch that you could put between the router and the console to see if it can continue to download when in rest mode?
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7