× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 dropping WIFI connections to all devices

csewrx
Aspirant

XR500 dropping WIFI connections to all devices

I have had this Xr500 (latest FW 2.3.2.40) and for months (purchased in April 2018) worked great.  Fantastic but the last 3 weeks this thing has gone to crap.  It drops WIFI to all devices at least once every 2 or 3 days and I have to reboot it.  Today (2/3/19) it's done it 3x.  This is ridiculous.  I've searched the forms and other than a factory reset I have seen no other ideas to fix it other than call customer service.  It shows support for HW only and I'm not sure that's what's going on.  Any ideas?  If this thing is going to start this, I'll get rid of NETGEAR and go back to Linksys.  Any help is appreicated.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

@csewrx wrote:

I have had this Xr500 (latest FW 2.3.2.40) and for months (purchased in April 2018) worked great.  Fantastic but the last 3 weeks this thing has gone to crap.  It drops WIFI to all devices at least once every 2 or 3 days and I have to reboot it.  Today (2/3/19) it's done it 3x.  This is ridiculous.  I've searched the forms and other than a factory reset I have seen no other ideas to fix it other than call customer service.  It shows support for HW only and I'm not sure that's what's going on.  Any ideas?  If this thing is going to start this, I'll get rid of NETGEAR and go back to Linksys.  Any help is appreicated.  

Message 2 of 6
csewrx
Aspirant

The router is connected to Suddenlink, Arris Modem.  TG2482A.  Had the modem about 4 months (brand new from Suddenlink) and no issues with router/modem until last 2 weeks.  

I'm using Ch 10, 2.4 and 157 on 5Ghz.  I never use auto.  We use 5Ghz only around here.  Neighbors are nearby but I am using channels they are not using.  I used WiFi analyzer constantly to check that.  

Using WPA2-PSK [AES] (have since I bought the router) and Beamforming and MIMO already on (I guess they are by default) because I have not set them myself.  

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi, 

Couple of options for use with a XR series router,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 4 of 6
csewrx
Aspirant

Re:  FURRY.  My modem is already in that method, Suddenlink turned off the radios and put it in bridge mode 4 months ago when they set up that piece.  That's why I found it odd, nothing changed.  I opened a ticket to NG support and spoke to them.  They had me manually update the FW, clear it, reset everything back up.  Said if it doesn't work, probably a HW issue.  So we'll see.  I appreciate your responses and if you have anything else, let me know.  

Message 5 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you downgrade back the previous firmware, does the issue continue? https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.32

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7