× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 dropping connection constantly

TNJeff
Tutor

XR500 dropping connection constantly

Here it is now 2+ years later than some people have reported these issues, and 2+ months since some of these recent issues; which appear to be the SAME issue - random, infuriating disconnects - my brand new XR500, less than 2 weeks old, is doing the same, and I'm ready to take it back for an immediate refund. Bought from Sam's Wholesale Club. Don't ask the firmware version - it is THE latest that I pulled down as soon as I installed it a bit over a week ago. Seemed stable for a bit; then intermittent disconnects - now those are serious enough that my network is completely unreachable remotely - meaning, I'm at a distant office, and I need to get to my home network. I had a very stable connection with my prior router - R7000. I have a Docsis 3.1 cable modem that supports gigabit connections, and a stable Comcast business connection. I have my own cable modem; it's not a 'combo' and I do not use Comcast's equipment; though mine is supported and worked great with prior router, Nighthawk R7000. I use various remote network connection tools; and they show my systems intermittently connecting & disconnecting; BOTH wired & wireless. At home, my 2.4 Ghz appliance switches disconnect and all of these items are within 30 ft of the router, through 1 wall. The one appliance switch is less than 20 ft away; and prior router had ZERO issues with keeping it connected! So this is utterly ridiculous! Again, I'm running the latest firmware, pulled down last week, but I will get the exact version when I get home. I did notice on the prior routers - ALL models, that there were occasional problems with 2.4 & 5 Ghz being "bonded" and so that may be part of the issue; but that will not affect 'wired' connections; and my wired connections AND wireless devices are disconnecting / losing connection. I'm happy to get whatever logs may be needed; but I have to wait until I'm home to do that.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear are continuing to work on a fix for that issue, in the meantime the best workaround is in LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
TNJeff
Tutor

Update:

My router with the frequent disconnect issues is:

Nighthawk XR500 gaming router - XR 500 V2.3.2.134
DumaOS 3.0.202

fw: V2.3.2.134

Prior - very stable router was a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000

Message 2 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear are continuing to work on a fix for that issue, in the meantime the best workaround is in LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.
Message 3 of 4
TNJeff
Tutor

AHA - this makes sense, to some degree. For example, Netgear OS should ALWAYS check if DHCP address already is assigned or "in use" by another wired or wireless device & automatically exclude it.

Also, PLEASE provide MUCH BETTER reporting on "duplicate IP" addresses! I did see what appears to be duplicate IPs, and not just in the 1-50 range; for example, a wired device has a specific address, let's say n.n.n.253, but then the Netgear router seems to still try to assign that address, so there's some issues there. Also, we need much better documentation on when/how/where to use 'reserved' IPs? If I reserve an IP on a hardwired device, then Netgear OS should recognize this, without having to also reserve on the router; but I will make sure to do what you said and limit my range of DHCP addresses.

Your reporting showed NOTHING about duplicates and yet, when the .253 address of my physical hardwired device 'disconnected,' i was still able to ping that same n.n.n.253 device - meaning it appears to be a duplicate.

I'll restrict that DHCP IP range and let you know my results - thank you.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7