× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 dropping lan connection on ethernet port 2

drcheesenipz
Guide

XR500 dropping lan connection on ethernet port 2

Has anyone had any issues with the router dropping connection specifically on lan port 2? My current version of DumaOS is V2.3.2.56, and only a reboot fixes the port 2 connection. I have changed out the cable, done a factory reset, and I have reflashed the OS image, but after a while the port would go dark, and wouldn't wakeup until a router restart. Currently I have moved the Roku over to port 3. Am I looking at a buggy OS version, or is it an indicator of an imminent hardware failure as the warranty is nearing expiration?

Also worth mentioning, the port leds on router and numbers labeled on the back of it, don't correspond with port numbers withing DumaOS. Port 1 is show as 4, 2 as 3, 3 as 2, and 4 as 1. I think that this particular port numbering in DumaOS is a bug, but none of the less it is really annoying from a $300 router.

Anyway, would appreciate anyone answering back to these concerns. Thanks!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
drcheesenipz
Guide

Just to clarify, the lan ports don't match up with physical numbering under Device Manager's table view. Looks correct under Statistics menu.

Message 2 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I believe that the incorrect port numbers was a known problem with early units. Newly manufacturered units don't have this problem.

As for why port 2 isn't working, it sounds like a hardware issue. I've never come across just one port suddenly not working.

Message 3 of 5
drcheesenipz
Guide

I have been observing it a bit more. Moved the Roku back to port 2, and it hasn't dropped once all day yesterday, even had the xbox on that port for a few hours without issues Smiley Frustrated. I'll keep a closer eye on it since I still have until June for warranty, but it hasn't been cosistently dropping day in and day out yet to confirm anything.

As for Device Manager misrepresenting port numbers, since it is an early unit issue, should I just live with it or open an RMA case?

Message 4 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Up to you... Since you've got one port that's not working, it might be worth RMA'ing. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7