× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Billybudz420
Apprentice

XR500 drops internet

I am having an issue where the internet stops working..... I have 2 Xbox ones being used and they randomly disconnect and now the wifi doesn't work either. The wifi is connected but no internet. One xbox is hard wired. I have to reboot the router multiple times to get everything back online. I am using the cm1000 modem and also the x4s mesh extender on my network.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 1,017

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

The firmware has now been publicly released: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-Firmware-for-XR500-2-3-2-32-fixes-...

If you are having a disconnection issue, please upgrade to this firmware (or a later one in the future). Thank you everyone for your patience

View solution in original post

Message 427 of 1,017

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Billy, we are aware of the issue and actively debugging it so we can work on a fix. Do ALL devices go down when this happens? Is there anything specific happening on the network when you notice the issue like heavy downloading for example?

Next time the issue occurs can you reboot the modem please, if it works after that first time then it could indicate a negotiation issue between the two.
Message 2 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I don't t think its the modem... some of the devices on wifi wont even connect anymore. This happens though out the day for no apparent reason.
Message 3 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't think it's necessarily the modem but if a reboot of the modem fixes it then it points to the XR500 not negotiating with the modem properly rather than maybe something else. Do you download any torrents by chance?

Give static IPs to your consoles, do they still drop then? If not then that narrows it down quite a lot. Either way we are definitely aware of the issue and are debugging as we speak.
Message 4 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

Nothing out of the ordinary but fixes it after reboot ing....I have a question on the Geo filter. I would like to know if there's a way to set it only for specific games... I play call of duty and battlefield 1. The cod game works but any other game can't find a server at all...kinda a pain to keep changing on every game ya play...maybe this can be an added feature in the future? Some games don't work even at 1000 miles
Message 5 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There only needs to be one service for console. Battlefield 1 you should have spectating mode enabled because you're able to select your own servers. What other games are you playing?
Message 6 of 1,017

Can confirm this is happening ALOT on my XR500. Constantly dropping the internet, all devices connected, (either wired or wireless) will lose internet connection. Reboot and it stays stable for a while, but problem re-occurs and starts to re-occur more frequently. It's not just while gaming either. Just while I was typing this I lost internet and it came back.

I'm on PC, but like I said it doesn't matter what device(s) you are using.

Message 7 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We're narrowing down on the issue. Do you use an Xbox One by any chance?
Message 8 of 1,017

No mate, don't have an Xbox One. I do have Windows 10, 1803, but I have removed all Xbox apps from there, GAME DVR is disabled, etc. Also my wife has been using her work laptop to work from home all day, and they definitely don't have any Xbox apps on there and it's been terrible for her.

So far I have set anti-buffer bloat to NEVER = random disconnects

Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection (enabled) = random disconnects

I've now turned off QoS totally and am testing that. If that fails then I will turn off UPnP.

Basically trying to go through things one by one to see if I can locate what is causing this. But obviously turning off some of these settings isn't ideal as you are disabling features that are the very reason for you purchasing the router.

Message 9 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the additional information, I have also sent you a PM with something to try.
Message 10 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I have been having another issue. Any Android device wouldn't work on wifi with this router.The play store and you tube would work. I have Comcast internet and it's their dns causing problems.I added the DNS servers manually and added Google DNS for the 3 DNS server works great now. Kinda strange why Comcast DNS would work right....the other issues are still on going.I play call of duty,mortal Kombat, battlefield,and my daughter plays Roblox which doesn't work unless I change the Geo filter settings same if I play any other game....this is a major pain in the behind every time I play a different game
Message 11 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Glad you found the issue, they must be blocking those applications for some reason - possibly because they're likely to use a lot of bandwidth.

You should be able to keep the same Geo-Filter settings if your radius is wide enough. I don't foresee a possible way where you could not change the Geo-Filter depending on the game you're playing. It is more of an interactive router compared to other routers in the past that are more plug and play but that is why it gives you such a huge benefit over the other routers - customisation is key.
Message 12 of 1,017
Killak786
Guide

Hi, my router is also dropping connection randomly and has been since i purchased it? Nothing showing up on the logs either?
Message 13 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've PM'd you.
Message 14 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I am have wifi drops constantly... weird thing is my devices show up as unknown name... but... some show and say they are online. The weird part is the mac addresses show up as the named device....but in the offline it shows the same mac listed as unknown/named device with a different ip ending in 69.....how can it be online and offline at the same time with 2 dif ip but the same mac address?
Message 15 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you install the firmware I provided? Sounds like you may have given devices static IPs is that correct? Also disable smart connect and connect manually to 2.4 or 5Ghz
Message 16 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

what firmware? Never got nothing?
Message 17 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Apologies, i was certain I sent it. I have now, please let me know if that fixes the issue
Message 18 of 1,017
Killak786
Guide

Hi fraser, just to let you know the firmware you sent me is working great no drop outs! Thank you!
Message 19 of 1,017
JS25
Initiate

After reading the thread, I would like to know what firmware I can use to correct the same issue.  We have a mix of Windows 10 computers, Macs, XBox, Apple TV, and Amazon Alexa's in our house.  Our internet drops constantly - while stating that we are still connected to the network.  It can sometimes be fixed by rebooting the netgear modem, but it is happening more and more often.  Thank you!

Message 20 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi JS, I've sent you a PM with the firmware.
Message 21 of 1,017
vdubpwise
Aspirant

Hi can I also have this firmware?  my XR500 keeps losing internet connection which makes me think it's not communicating properly with the the VDSL modem as I can tell the modem is not going down at all.  Has netgear identified what is causing this yet?

Thanks

Message 22 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM with the firmware. Seems to be an issue with Xbox instant on mode/devices waking up from sleep.
Message 23 of 1,017
jgold7890
Guide

Hey Fraser,

I'm having the same issues with my router randomly losing connection with my modem as well.  A restart usually fixes it.

Any possible way I could get the firmware too?

Thanks

Message 24 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

ive sent you a pm
Message 25 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7