× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

jgold7890
Guide

So just because the Xbox is wired or wireless is causing issues with other devices not being able to connect to the internet too? I have problems with everything losing connectivity to the router. The firmware didn’t improve anything.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 101 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes exactly what it looks like, as above we're in contact with the Xbox team so will try another fix until its fixed for everyone. Will update when I have a new firmware to provide.
Message 102 of 1,017

Looks like progress is being made. Still though, why would the known issue for XBox Instant On lead to the entire network dropping?
Message 103 of 1,017
DrDeano
Aspirant

The firmware you sent to me seems to have fixed my random internet drops. I didn't do a factory reset, just loaded the firware file. 

Would seem the easy way to troubleshoot the Xbox problem for those still having troubles would just be to unplug power from the xbox for a few days and see what happens?

Message 104 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good question, thats what we need to figure out. First firmware showed we're going in the right direction as it fixed it for a lot of users.
Message 105 of 1,017
jgold7890
Guide

Thanks! Sorry just trying to make sure I understand. I’ve been trying to get more logs to send to you guys.
Message 106 of 1,017
Randy7092
Aspirant

Just bought router and getting internet drop. Can i get firmware to fix?
Message 107 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM Randy!
Message 108 of 1,017
DrDeano
Aspirant

Update:

The firmware you sent in PM fixed the disconnect problem; but I forgot to turn off auto-update. 

My router pulled the official firmware at some point last night (could not tell from the logs) and sure enough, I lost internet. The interesting thing was that rebooting did not fix it and even reverting back to the firmware you sent me didnt instantly give me internet access. 

I use my router as the primary modem connected directly to the ONT. I dealt with IP lease issues while I was setting everything up when I first bought the router. It almost seems like whatever plagues the official firmware has to do with the ISP seeing an unknown router and being unable to obtain a lease, not unlike if you tried to switch modems without releasing the IP first. 

I eventually got internet back, but I think it took as long as my ISP to release and renew the IP on their end (2 hours)

Hope this helps... I would have expected a company like Netgear to have this problem solved and official firmware available to fix it much sooner.

-Dean

Message 109 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think that might just be a coincidence as the common theme among people is a console in instant on mode. Factory reset on the one I gave you again and continue to monitor. I've raised it back up to Netgear and Xbox contact to get it resolved for the rest of people with issues.
Message 110 of 1,017
DrDeano
Aspirant

Just an FYI - 

I do not have an Xbox and I was experiencing the drops.

Message 111 of 1,017
Nmercer
Aspirant

Can I get the firmware update. My router is suddenly as of today dropping connection to all devices PC. Ps4. Fire tv and android and apple phones and nest equipment. Removed router from network and tested with equipment wired to cm1000 only . No issues. Will return router to best buy tomorrow if connectivity cant be resolved
Message 112 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi NMercer - I will private message you the firmware link now. However, it sounds like you either have a general hardware fault or there is an issue with your line.

When the drop out occurs, is your modem still up and running?

Message 113 of 1,017
Nmercer
Aspirant

Yea. The modem never loses connection. Only the router
Message 114 of 1,017

My XBox console instant mode has been off for nearly a week. Firmware previously added. Internet drops have started up again.
2x today so far. Any other ideas?
Message 115 of 1,017
wub901
Guide

yep mine now dropping connection on latest firmware

Message 116 of 1,017
FMSMITH91
Aspirant

So, I have factory reset the XR500 many times both before and after uploading the latest firmware as well as using the firmware PM'd to me and I'm still sitting here watching the router just reboot at random. I don't think that the PS4's or Xbox's are causing the router to reboot. I don't understand why you guys are blaming the PS4's and xbox's when all devices connected to the router via wifi or wired seem to lose connection at the same time. I literally unplugged my PS4's from the outlets as well as only allowing 1 - 2 devices connected to it and the thing still reboots at random. Could I just upload a netgear stock firmware to it or use dd-rt instead until this is fixed? This is getting ridiculous for spending 300+ on it for basically a netgear R7800 but plus 70 for the firmware.

Message 117 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Because the consoles seem to trigger the issue. What were the other devices connected at the time? I'll send a suggestion by PM
Message 118 of 1,017
danielbernat
Aspirant

I have the same issue, could I get the fix firmware link too?

Thank you

Message 119 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM
Message 120 of 1,017
XRaptor29
Luminary

Theirs got to be something more in common then that. I don't have any issues and I have multiple Xbox One's. It must be something else causing it. Could it be an issue similar to the Netgear X6S had where it couldn't renew the internet IP and everything lost internet until the router rebooted.
Message 121 of 1,017
Phoenix1776
Tutor

I have no xbox's on my network but do have several PS4's. I have noticed 4 issues all increasing in frequency with the last 2 firmware versions.
1) the router wan port stops working taking out internet for the whole network until the router is rebooted.
2) a lan port connecting a pc directly to the router will stop working and require a router reboot to fix. Started with the last firmware update.
3) 2 roku devices lose connection to the internet and rebooting the roku devices solves the problem...this issue started with the last firmware update.
4) one pc connected via coax/ethernet would randomly not be able to recognize the router ip address and lose connection. This got fixed setting a static ip address.

None of these issues occured with the $99 router from the internet provider so upgrading to a router 3 times that cost only to encounter at least one issue occuring regularly is very frustrating. Hopefully netgear can fix these issues soon.
Message 122 of 1,017
wub901
Guide

How do I get this firmware fix as this router is constantly dropping the internet.

Message 123 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Likely do to instant on mode on PS4s Phoenix, turn that off and should be resolved. I can send firmware if you like.

Sent PM wub
Message 124 of 1,017
wub901
Guide

cheers bud

Message 125 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7