× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

psykixx
Star

I'd appreciate a link to the firmware too please.

Internet connection on the XR500 dropped yesterday, and I could not even connect to the router via wifi after it dropped.

The modem was still up, and I have broadband monitor set up and that did not show any outages.

I've only had the XR500 less than 2 weeks, so hoping the firmware will resolve.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 126 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM with the firmware
Message 127 of 1,017
Huthayfa
Guide

May you kindly send me the firmware also Mr. Fraser, 

I am curios to try the performance.

thanks. 

Message 128 of 1,017
vc1187
Aspirant

I have the same disconnection issue with my iPhone 6 plus and Skybell doorbell.  I do not own an Xbox One or PS4.  The only things connected via ethernet are a Windows 10 PC, iMac, and an nVidia shield TV.

Please send me the firmware as well!

Message 129 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent PM
Message 130 of 1,017
XXAresXX
Star

Hi there, I just wanted to share an update on the disconnects, especially for those of you who found no success with the firmware Fraser provided.

I have two devices directly connected to the router; one being an Xbox One X and the other being a Windows 10 Desktop Computer. I was have disconnects several times per day that would require a full reboot of the router before internet access was restored. Fraser provided me the firmware that seems to have worked for the majority of people experiencing this issue, but it did not work for me. Before even finding this thread, I had concluded that the Xbox was the primary (if not only) culprit and tried several things to remedy the situation but wasn't making and headway and the disconnects were getting more and more frequent. I left "instant-on" mode on the Xbox on, but disabled "keep my games and apps up to date". No disconnects. However, this was less than ideal because I have somewhere in the realm of 175 games on my console, and didn't want to have to manually update each one, so I turned the auto update feature on the Xbox back on, and bam, the disconnects started again (I personally believe that instant on mode isn't the issue, but rather, the auto update feature when used in conjunction with instant on). The xbox goes to sleep, then later detects that it needs an update for a game, turns on in low power mode to download/apply the update, and then the router can't detect when the console goes back into full sleep mode (eth1 light orange when console is asleep, eth1 light white when console in sleep mode but applying update, light stays white even when console finishes).

So, I decided to try something else. I left all the features (instant on, auto update, etc) on the xbox one on, but plugged the console into a tp-link gigabit unmanaged switch, and then plugged the switch into the lan port I was using the console on initially, cleared the alternate mac address on the console, rebooted everything, and have only had two disconnects since (it has been two-three weeks now). So, I can't say that the issue is completely gone, but I can say implementing the switch has drastically reduced the number and overall frequency of the disconnects and all my games update automatically still and the console doesn't take five minutes to turn on (like it does when instant on mode if off). With the switch in place, the eth1 light on the router stays white (active) all the time, and the switch receives the on signal from the Xbox instead. I believe that's why this fix worked for, since the router can't seem to handle the xbox on/off signals very well.

So, if the firmware didn't work for you, you could try the steps I took and see if that helps. It may not work for you, but it did for me.

(1. Leave/turn on auto update and instant on Xbox Console

(2. Install Network Switch to Desired Lan Port of Router, and Connect Xbox too it

(3. Clear Alternate Mac Address on the Xbox

(4. Reboot Router and Xbox

I also have a Playstation 4 Pro, but it is on wireless and completely powered down most of the time, but this might work for Playstation users as well. Lastly, whether this is pertinent or not, I don't know, but I have a static ip assigned by my ISP (at my request for NAT reasons).

Hopefully this helps/works for you until Netgear/Duma can identify and patch the issue.

Message 131 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Fantastic information this is really helpful! I'll pass this on to the team taking care of it!
Message 132 of 1,017
XXAresXX
Star

Thank you, Fraser!

Message 133 of 1,017
Phoenix1776
Tutor

XXAresXX may be on to something. Both my PS4's are connected to a Netgear 4 port switch and I have not seen any connetion issues for those specific devices unless the router wan/lan port stops working.
Message 134 of 1,017
XXAresXX
Star

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the disconnects would bring the entire network--both wired and wirless--down 99% of the time. The other 1% of the disconnects would only affect the ethernet connected devices.

Additionally, when the disconnects occurred, it was more like the router completely froze (thereby dropping internet and needing a reboot) because I couldn't even log on to the Router Management page, regardless of the connection type (wired or wireless). It was like the router just stopped responding to anything.

Phoenix1776, it sounds like a network switch is the way to go for the time being then.

Message 135 of 1,017
psykixx
Star

That was my experience too. It's been ok since flashing the firmware fix provided.

Fingers crossed!

Message 136 of 1,017
vc1187
Aspirant

Even with the firmware from Fraser flashed to the XR500 like the latest firmware, my Skybell (doorbell) still loses connection frequently, freezes during live viewing from iPhone app, and does not send push notifications to my phone.  When reconnecting my old ASUS router (RT-AC66U) I have no problems with connection drops, viewing the live cam feed, and push notifications.

iPhone connection to wifi seems to be more stable with this firmware.

Message 137 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is there an option with Skybell to disable automatic upgrading, that might be the cause after reading the above
Message 138 of 1,017
vc1187
Aspirant

No option to disable automatic upgrading.  Actually it has very few options: Disable chime, motion sensor, digital door chime, auto login, and push notifications

The push notifications are the most important to me, but it sounds like this issue may be related to some port being blocked?

Message 139 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Possible with your issue yes, if you put it in the DMZ just to try, does that resolve the issue?
Message 140 of 1,017
Visual
Aspirant

Hey Fraser

I have seen so many threads on this issue. and posted in different ones.

Is there any way i can also get that firmware?

I have tried everything to get this router to stay online with no results. It still disconnects randomly, like it loses ip from my modem, even though the modem is good to go after connecting my pc straight to it and bypassing the router. Everything just drops through ethernet and wifi.

Message 141 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Certainly, I've sent you a PM.
Message 142 of 1,017
Scooby56
Aspirant

Hi, I'm also experiencing issues with the XR500 disconnecting all devices. This often takes several reboots to get them working again and often the PS4 won't connect at all.

Could you send the firmware fix? Thanks

Message 143 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I have just messaged you. Let us know if the issue continues. Hopefully not though!
Message 144 of 1,017
vpoffice
Aspirant

Thank you

Message 145 of 1,017
jgold7890
Guide

I’ve tried an earlier suggestion and plugged a switch into the router. I then plugged all of my consoles, pc. Etc in the switch and it hasn’t dropped for a few days now.
Message 146 of 1,017
XXAresXX
Star

Glad that helped you! It has been working well for me so far.

Message 147 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

I'm having the same issue... If you could please send me that firmware I'd like to try it also. I'm having disconnects once a day. I logged in via the Nighthawk app on iPhone and it said the internet was offline, I rebooted the router and it went back online. I have 3 Xbox One consoles and one X console, all wireless.
Message 148 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM
Message 149 of 1,017
XRaptor29
Luminary

How many people are having Disconnect issues and also have an Xbox One X running? From everything I've been reading this issue is affecting Xbox One X owners more than anything.
Message 150 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7