× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Clintb12
Guide

Thank you. I’ll report back in a few.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 151 of 1,017
vc1187
Aspirant

Even with Fraser's firmware I am still having wifi instability on some devices.  Wifi seems to stay connected on the device but data is not transmitted/received.  Happens a lot when I am playing a mobile game that frequently sends/receives requests/responses from the game server.  While there's no pattern on when it happens, eventually the game gets stuck sending or receiving and only resolves itself when I turn off wifi.

Message 152 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear are looking into this further and I expect to have an update soon. Until then can you disable Instant on and automatic updates and see if that resolves it please
Message 153 of 1,017
vc1187
Aspirant

I do not have an Xbox or PS4.

Is Instant On only a feature of those consoles or is it a feature in the firmware of the XR500?

I also do not have Automatic Updates turned on for either my mobile device (iPhone 6 plus) or the XR500.

Message 154 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No not on the XR500. Do you have any devices that you put to sleep and are set to update programs/apps automatically?
Message 155 of 1,017
imccaul
Aspirant

Can you send me the firmware as well.

Message 156 of 1,017
Chi_JL
Aspirant

Hello,

Can someone send me the firmware as well? I am having the same issues.

Message 157 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you both PM with firmware
Message 158 of 1,017
Pwncahontas
Aspirant

Need firmware as well this just started happening to me about 2 weeks ago.

Message 159 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM with the firmware Pwncahontas.
---
Anyone who is still having the issue please PM me as I have some commands I would like you to run in order to gain more information when the issue occurs.
Message 160 of 1,017
McDragon
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser

Any chance you can PM me the firmware?

I am a new owner of XR500 and this week alone for some reason my router disconnected twice around 12:50 AM even though modem was On. All devices were down (Internet light down on the router).

Never had this issue with my old router (Netgear 7500 v1).

And yes, I do own and use Xbox One X (set to instant On).

QOS set when high traffic option.

Xbox One X along with two access points given static IP addresses.

I'd appreciate the new firmware if it gonna solve the disconnect issue. I can deal with lag but family can't deal with constant internet down. Problem I have to reboot whole router just to get it online again. Try telling that to the family lol.

Message 161 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM with the firmware
Message 162 of 1,017
vc1187
Aspirant

During facetime calls from my iPhone 6 plus, my connection to the XR500 wifi drops out and the "incorrect password - please enter password" dialogue pops up on the phone.

I have tried to reset my network settings on the iPhone as well as reset the XR500 to factory settings.  Neither fixed the issue.

Have tried firmware provided by Fraser and latest firmware as well.  Issue persists in both versions of firmware.  I have checked every connection on my network.  None of the devices have instant on or auto-updates enabled.

Message 163 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM vc1187 for information to gather to help debug the issue further
Message 164 of 1,017
mnjk
Guide

Fraser, Can you please send me the firmware.  I have an xbox one but it is not the only device with the interent drop issue.  

Message 165 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM
Message 166 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

Installed the firmware from Fraser on Sunday. Running great since then, thank you! Was going offline once a day requiring router reboot.
Message 167 of 1,017
mnjk
Guide

How did you install the software?  I downloaded the .img file to my mac.   When I tried to run it I got the message "The following disk image couldn't be opened."

Message 168 of 1,017
mnjk
Guide

Spent 45 minutes listening to musak waiting for level 2 assistance tonight.  Nobody home at Netgear!  Pretty offensive to leave a customer on hold that long and then tell then that no one is answering the level2 phone.  Requested a new router as it is under warranty.  They said they would not honor the warranty and couldn't send me a new one until level2 (who doesn't exists in my experience) checks it out.  I won't be buying Netgear ever again.  300 dollar router and an awful experience.

Message 169 of 1,017
GOONBAG
Aspirant

May I have the firmware also?
Message 170 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@mnjk To install the firmware you go on the interface and then Settings > Administration > Firmware Update > Click Browse and find the upgrade file open and then click upload.

@GOONBAG, sent a PM.
Message 171 of 1,017
Domhome
Aspirant

Fraser, Can you please send me the firmware.  I have an xbox one but it is not the only device with the interent drop issue.  

Message 172 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM with the firmware Dom.
Message 173 of 1,017
crawlgsx
Tutor

Good evening, can I also get this firmware? Random WIFI issues constantly. Driving me mad. Didn't have this problem when I first got the router but maybe since last release?

Are there isses with wireless devices in close proximity? My nintendo switch, 2 xbox One X's and Alexa all sit on the same "shelf". (xbox one's are hard wired).

Message 174 of 1,017
XXAresXX
Star

crawlgsx:

The issue seems to be related to xbox consoles being hardwired (and possibly Windows PCs as well). It doesn't seem to be wireless devices causing the issue, but they suffer the disconnects caused by the wired devices. Once Fraser (or other Duma Partner) provide you with the firmware, test it and see if it works. It didn't for me. If it doesn't work for you, try implementing a cheap unmanaged network switch (I use a $20 unmanaged tp-link gigabit switch). Plug the switch into the router and all the wired consoles to the switch. If you have any wired pcs try plugging them into the switch as well if you still have disconnects (I had disconnects daily until I plugged my hard wired consoles into a switch. After that, the disconnects happened once or twice a week. Decided to plug my hardwired pc into the switch as well and disconnects are completely gone.).

I;m wondering if the xbox smartglass app built into Windows 10 computers is causing problems as well (because it can control and manage your xbox "remotely").

Hopefully, though, the firmware will work for you.

Message 175 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7