× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

crawlgsx
Tutor

Good to know! that could make some sense. When I first got the router I DID have all my devices running through a switch. I still have a bunch running through the switch, but my 2 One X's are plugged directy in. I will have to consider moving them over if the firmware doesn't fix my issue.  Thanks for the tip.

Message 176 of 1,017
XXAresXX
Star

You're welcome.

Some others seem to have found success with the switch (or, never had issues because they already used a switch).

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 177 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you both PMs
Message 178 of 1,017
Radiax
Tutor

I just bought this router 2 days ago.  When I woke up this morning I noticed my computer was disconnected.  I checked my other computer which is a plex server and noticed that it was not connected as well.  I checked all my devices that were wifi connected and they all had internet.  I rebooted the router and my wired connections came back.

I have 3 wired connections.  2 computers and... wait for it... 1 xbox one.

I have mixed wifi items, such as iphone, ipad, windows 10 laptop, samsung phone, multimedia transceiver.. etc.

I read through these forums this morning and see that this is a big problem.  I am going to turn off my xbox1 after I post this.

Last night I was watching a movie from a friends plex server using a Fire TV (wifi), and it dropped that connection 3 times during the movie.  I did not have that issue with my Linksys EA6400.  This is the first time I watched a movie since I installed the new router, so I can't say for sure if this is going to be a major problem for me.

XR500: Firmware V2.3.2.22

Message 179 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Just PM'd you the firmware to try. Hope this fixes your issue.

Message 180 of 1,017
crosshair88
Aspirant

I too am having this issue as of two days ago. The router is just dropping randomly. Any chance to get that firmware?

Message 181 of 1,017
mnjk
Guide

I have the firmware from Fraser installed but an still have "no internet" problems.  What now?

Message 182 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you mean you literally have no internet or that it keeps dropping out?

If no internet at all then I recommend a factory reset to go through the setup tour again.

If it’s just drop outs, could you describe exactly what happens. Does the whole router lose WiFi or power off? When this happens, can you connect to your modem to see if it still hasn’t Internet. It’s possible your whole line is dropping so it’s important to isolate where the problem is.
Message 183 of 1,017
mnjk
Guide

Its erratic.  Today my pixel XL was doing it.  Many other devices were ok.  Now the pixel is ok.  Very inconsistent.  It might be related to 5GHz connections but I am not sure, I have not studied it.  That's your guys job.  Send someone to my house or collect some log diagonstics on my router.  Or send me a router that just -- works!  I don't care to be part of you're product development program. I want something that just plain works!  I got neough headaches in my life and that's why I paid top dollar for a router.  All of these questions are an annoyance to me.  I've spent more than 300 bucks of my time on this router's shortcomings.  Please send me something that works under the warranty.

Message 184 of 1,017
Rushal
Guide

Just started having this same issue.  Have had the router for about 2 months and now, every few hours it'll just drop internet.  All devices, wired and wifi will say that they have internet but won't be able to get to anything.  If I plug a computer directly into the modem, it has internet.  If I then plug back into the router, the router can't get back online until it's restarted.

I've left it for several minutes and it'll never reconnect without a reboot.

Tried firmware: V2.2.1.10 and V2.3.2.22 same issue.

V2.3.2.22 started getting pretty bad when the net would go out and I would have trouble even loading the router pages, getting cross site frame errors.

Message 185 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

Hello All,

I am having the same problem, XR500 dropping internet service while the internet light is blinking GREEN means it is connected to the ISP but only the service is down. This problem happened only after I change the router from the stock router ISP provided along with the connection. I have updated the firmware as well just the last nite but still same problem. 

Moreover, "Guns Of Boom" game is not listed to be added as a priority traffic service. can anyone help me with that, please? I bought this router only for this game "Guns Of Boom" and I play on my Apple iPhone and Android phones and Tabs. 

I need help to prioritize the traffic associated with this game otherwise the router is useless for me.

Hope to hear from you soon.. 

Regards: M.Hafeez

Message 186 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@mnjk, we don't control warranty/sending of replacements. Recommend you contact Netgear for that. I've sent you a PM if you want to do one last thing to help us.

@Rushal, sent you a PM with the firmware.

@M-Hafeez, sent you a PM with the firmware. Also look up the ports that your game uses and add them manually into traffic prioritization for you device.
Message 187 of 1,017
asharak
Tutor

Hi, could I also please get the firmware as getting constant drops last few days, sporadic over the last 2 weeks

I already have everything going into switches so that is not the issue for me

Message 188 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM with the firmware
Message 189 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

Thanks for your prompt response, so nice of you. but how can I know the ports i am not a geek, can you help me please.. 
|
Game: Guns Of Boom .

Platform : IOS (iPhone).

also if this firmware will resolve the problem then why not Netgear is putting it on-air for downloading into the routers so no one gonna face the problem. anyways, i will test this firmware too. 

you kindly help me in finding the ports and the platform Guns Of Boom uses.

Regards:

M.Hafeez

Message 190 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You just have to Google it. Just use the games console service for your phone that is easiest. Can't be OTA update, will be included in next firmware version.
Message 191 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

Thanks again for the prompt response.

I tried to google the ports but couldn't find anything. In Netduma for my phone I tried game console service and then I ran the game but no green light (no high priority traffic detected).

what else i can do, please help.

Regards:

Muhammad Hafeez

Message 192 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you select the correct device that you're playing on as the games console covers a wide range of ports that I'd be surprised if the game used ports outside that range
Message 193 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

yes dear, I selected my iPhone only and that time it was the only device connected via WiFi.

Message 194 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just select ports 1-65535 source & 1-65535 destination for UDP then for your phone and it'll work.

Message 195 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

Thanks buddy, I will try today and will respond to you.

Best Regards:
M.Hafeez

Message 196 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

Hello Dear,

I tried to upload the image you provided but it says that this is older than your current firmware version, you want to continue  Yes/NO. As I told you that I have updated the firmware like one day before. So please advise should I go for downgrade or no.?

Thanks for your suggestion for a range of ports adding, now I see a Red light (High Priority Traffic Detected) when I play the game.

Regards:

M. Hafeez

Message 197 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes please downgrade to the version I provided.

Great to hear that!
Message 198 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

OK Dear, will get back to you after downgrading and testing. 

Regards:

M.Hafeez

Message 199 of 1,017
asharak
Tutor

After receiving the firmware and applying yersterday the problem has been less frequent however I have still had 4 internet drops in the last 24 hours all requiring a reboot of the router

Where previously I also lost access to the GUI and had to do a hard reset with the new firmware I can reboot from the GUI

Prior to these issues I had no problems over the last few months, any update on a proper fix?

Message 200 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7