× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you do a factory reset on the one I sent you please to prevent any legacy issues from previous firmware. Netgear are still looking into the cause for those users where the firmware hasn't helped. If you get it again please let me know so I can send you some information to gather for debugging.
Message 201 of 1,017
asharak
Tutor

At the moment I have swapped it out for my Asus as have not got a lot of time to look into it as need internet access for work

I will try to get a reset done and test if I can but it depends on time I have this week, if I do get it done I will update you

Message 202 of 1,017
wub901
Guide

I have flashed the firmware fix however it seems to still be dropping the wifi I have reset it multiple times.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 203 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you both another PM with newer firmware to try
Message 204 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

Thank you so much dear, I will try this version tonite after office and will get back to you with the results in the morning.. 🙂

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Sent you both another PM with newer firmware to try

Regards:

M.Hafeez

Message 205 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I didn't send it to you Hafeez. I still haven't heard feedback from firmware I provided previously.
Message 206 of 1,017
MrIncognito
Initiate

I'm experiencing internet issues approximately every 24 hours.  I don't have an XBOX or Windows PC on my network.  I do have a PS4, several Apple products, smart lights, etc.  Is there any value in me trying the firmware that's been mentioned throughout this post?

Message 207 of 1,017
M-Hafeez
Tutor

you said that you send us both PM.. Anyways I downloaded again, I hope its the same so not gonna upload in the router. the feedback I will give you over weekend weekdays I go home late at night and then early morning leaving. sorry for delay. 

but it seems okay becz a little time I use in nite, still i want to make sure while using longer time and will get you the sure outcome of the firmware you provided.

Regards:

M.Hafeez

Message 208 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it's worth it, I've sent you a PM MrIncognito.

I meant asharak and wub, the two posters above me. No worries let me know.
Message 209 of 1,017
MrIncognito
Initiate

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

Message 210 of 1,017
Altair_Volans
Aspirant

Having the same issues, 5ghz band goes out, along with internet light usually. 2.5ghz band stays up for a bit, then device resets and comes back working. Repeats every 10min-4hrs.
Already reset and isolated to router. Would like to try this other firmware before I pick up replacement hardware. Pls link me to the older firmware update as well! Thanks for your help!
Message 211 of 1,017
Ombramortale
Initiate

During the laset 2 days the router is just dropping randomly.

It was unable to reconnect (internet led=red), so an hard reset was required. I tried the reconnect/disconnect from the UI but it didn't work.

Never had any issues during the last year with the previous router (a cheap 4020 fritz).

Those 4-5 disconnections were during the downloading of Warcraft client (about 60GB), never experienced during the week before.

If a firmware is available i'dd like to try it (got the latest installed)

Message 212 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you both a PM, let me know how you get on
Message 213 of 1,017
Ombramortale
Initiate

Installed, I'll let you know, gimme 2-3 days of testing

Message 214 of 1,017
Killhippie
Prodigy

Hope Frasers firmware helps, I am using the release version 2.3.2.22 and I have been up for almost 30 days with no droputs, most odd. Then again I have no xbox just a PS4 Pro for gaming but I can steam 4K Dolby vision all day without issue, and that was during temperature's over 30C. Since there are so many possible  with millions of devices and the routers complexity
configurations I have to say from my view its doing very well. I think a factor reset is s advisable after updating and then manually entering your settings, I know people think this a pain but it does help. Using a backup can carry low level issues from previous firmware versions and can make things worse and harder to trouble shoot. Also with bug fixes releases a factory reset gives you a clean slate so to speak.

Message 215 of 1,017
Rushal
Guide

I've tried the firmware from @Netduma-Fraser (XR500 V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a) and the connection is more stable but my internet speed barely makes it past 70Mbps.  I tried with and without QoS, nothing else is enabled.  If I plug directly into my modem i get a steady 200Mbps.  The second I bring the XR500 back into the mix the speed tanks.  I can send over any info needed as I would like to get this resolved.

Message 216 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM Rushal. You've tried with QoS disabled from Anti-Bufferbloats settings?
Message 217 of 1,017
Rushal
Guide

Yes, I tried setting the top panel in the QoS to Never on the old firmware and it didn't help.   Tried the new firmware that was sent and did a factory reset.  The speed seems to be working better so far but I can't really navigate the router anymore.  Keep getting a popup saying: "The operation is taking longer than expected.  Pleas briefly wiat before using this R-App" on a lot of the pages.

Message 218 of 1,017
Icanhascamaro
Aspirant

I just got this about three weeks ago. Sometimes it has 289mb/s, sometimes it’s 25 or 12. Got this to replace an R7000 and this is worse than that one. It keeps dropping devices, and obviously the speeds are so weird that it almost feels bipolar. Did a speed test yesterday and it was clocking 280, just did a test now and it’s 23 download and 12 upload.

I bought a brand new CAT6 cable on the sales guy’s suggestion, so I don’t think the cable is the problem. Comcast is our service provider and they just sent a new modem a couple of months ago. Please help or this hawk is gonna have to be flying back to Best Buy. 😢
Message 219 of 1,017
B_smith85
Aspirant

Hey Fraser, I am also having the same issue but I would like to add a little I believe it has nothing to do with the Xbox or pc’s I think it is a connection issue between the motem and router because the entire house loses internet (sisters gaming computer, my gaming Xbox and computer, parents Apple TV, etc.) when it shuts off and then it randomly comes back on 30 seconds later. May I also I have the firmware to fix this?
Message 220 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@Rushal That message of needing to wait for the R-App to load can sometimes appear shortly after a firmware installation. See how it is today, but I suspect it's all ok now. Let us know if not!

Message 221 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I'll PM you the latest firmware now to see if that fixes your issues.

Are these speed drops happening just on wireless or on wired devices too?

Message 222 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@B_smith85 - the firmware should fix these issues. I'll PM you now. Let us know how you get on.

Message 223 of 1,017
Rushal
Guide

@Netduma_Jack  Looks like a restart helped the R-App issue.  Now the router is back to not going above 70-80Mbps download though.  Tried another factory reset and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  

For whatever reason, when restarting, I usually lose internet.  The router won't grab a DHCP lease or DNS.  If I go through the setup wizard in settings it'll grab the info again.  When it does grab DHCP, it'll change it's MAC address to that of my PC.  It seems like the issues start then. I'll see if the ISP can help at all, not sure what else to do.  I've never seen issues like this with my old Linksys' 😞

Message 224 of 1,017
Rushal
Guide

Contacted my ISP and we refreshed everything.  It seems like as long as the router can connect to them with it's default MAC address, it works like a charm and speed is where it should be.  When it decides it wants to not connect with it's default and instead use the computer MAC address, speeds tank.

So right now I'm connected with our router MAC and all is well.  I'll just hope that this sticks through the next reboot whenever that happens.

Message 225 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7