× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

soupie68
Tutor

We are having a similar issue, where we will be watching our smart TV and all of a sudden the internet connection fails. We check our phones or computers when this happens and they are still connected just fine. After a few minutes, the TV can find the network again and will reconnect. Before you say it is the TV... we bought a new TV, a different brand, to replace the one this happened on and it is happening on the new TV also. The TV is less than 20 feet from the modem/router and is almost in direct line of sight. It has also happened on husband's xbox1 but only once or twice. It happens to the TV several times every day. It's frustrating. Help!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 326 of 1,017
iTatze
Aspirant

i get  DHCP Lease Renewal multiple times per hour and i lose internet connection all the time whats up with this router not worth the money ...

Message 327 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@soupie, that could be to do with the WiFi. Disable Smart Connect and connect the TV to one of the individual bands instead.

I will also send you and iTatze and PM with firmware to try.
Message 328 of 1,017
iTatze
Aspirant

i have the newest Firmware 2.3.2.26 but it didnt change anything for me i will send the router back sad but i dont wanna deal with this anylonger 

Message 329 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, I'd suggest you factory reset first to ensure no legacy issues from the previous firmware and monitor it a bit longer before deciding to return.
Message 330 of 1,017
SneakeyPetey
Aspirant

So I’m still having an issue even after updating the firmware. Routinely can’t connect on other, wireless devices, mostly on my iPhone.

This is frustrating and am ready to return the router. Anything else I can do?
Message 331 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you on the PM'd firmware? Try the above suggestion

Message 332 of 1,017
SneakeyPetey
Aspirant

Yes, the version I'm on is 2.3.2.26

What suggestion are you referring to?  

Message 333 of 1,017
soupie68
Tutor

"Disable smart connect and connect the tv to one of the individual bands instead" Deer in the headlights look here... I'm a walk-me-through-these-steps type of person. Not real techy here. Not afraid to say that sentence makes very little sense to me and I don't know where to begin following those directions. 

Message 334 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

type in 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.com i think left side settings click it then under setup wireless unclick the top box that says smart connect  then apply. Then go to your tv scan for a wifi network  and you should have two that have simliar names one might be say americanEagle then other americanEagle-5g use the 5g band if you can . If its a sony tv and you cant steam content its probably your isp I been going back and forth with sony for like a month trying to get mine to stream 4k I gave in and called my isp they admitted they could see a problem and need to look into it.

Message 335 of 1,017
soupie68
Tutor

Thanks for using normal-person explanations. 😉 We will try this and see what it does for us.

Message 336 of 1,017
NighthawkDaddy
Initiate

Hi my wifi also drops alot, requesting stable firmware tnx... also when is promised multi VPN capability? Tnx
Message 337 of 1,017
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

I've noticed issues as well.  I have the Nest Cam (connected via WiFi) and get notifications every night (usually between the hours of 1AM and 6AM) that it went / was offline.  It appears the disconnection is only for a few seconds.  

I've haven't noticed any issues with other connected devices (via WiFi).  I haven't determined if this is just an issue with the Nest Cam or if all WiFi devices.

It appears my 'Uptime' is currently at 2+ days, and the Nest Cam HAS disconnected from WiFi a few times within those two days.  The Nest Cam is currently 1 of 38 devices connected (assigned IP addresses) to the XR500.

Any help / suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Message 338 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO and see. Is Smart Connect enabled?

So you have a 6180 modem??

@B1ggSh00t3r wrote:

I've noticed issues as well.  I have the Nest Cam (connected via WiFi) and get notifications every night (usually between the hours of 1AM and 6AM) that it went / was offline.  It appears the disconnection is only for a few seconds.  

I've haven't noticed any issues with other connected devices (via WiFi).  I haven't determined if this is just an issue with the Nest Cam or if all WiFi devices.

It appears my 'Uptime' is currently at 2+ days, and the Nest Cam HAS disconnected from WiFi a few times within those two days.  The Nest Cam is currently 1 of 38 devices connected (assigned IP addresses) to the XR500.

Message 339 of 1,017
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@B1ggSh00t3r wrote:

Smart Connect IS enabled.  MIMO is enabled as well....

Message 340 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO first and test your cameras out...

This isn't the first time NEST has been known to have issues with there products...

@B1ggSh00t3r wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@B1ggSh00t3r wrote:

Smart Connect IS enabled.  MIMO is enabled as well....

Message 341 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Shooter - I’m not sure on the current status but I believe there may be some issues with NEST products as another user reported it. I have a vague memory that he found using the Guest network might have helped but I’m not sure.

Sorry to not be more help - this is on the non-DumaOS side so my knowledge is not as high!
Message 342 of 1,017

Yeah it just happened again 5 days later after the last time I posted. So it seems every 5 days the DHCP lease is getting renewed? Is there a way to resolve this?
Message 343 of 1,017

In reviewing the logs I see an entry for new lease allocated. Is there a way to prevent this from happening every so often?
Message 344 of 1,017

Something to note, when I lose internet temporarily, the routeright turns orange for a brief minute then everything comes back up. It's like it's losing internet.
Message 345 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That sounds like  an Internet drop out rather than a router drop out. Next time it happens, try connecting to your modem directly (if you can) and see if the Internet is down on that too.

I would also recommend switching the Ethernet cable between your XR500 and your modem in case there's an issue there.

Message 346 of 1,017

I have Verizon fios so the modem is in the garage and the router is in the kitchen. Their modems are not like other cable providers like a Motorola docs3 router.
Message 347 of 1,017
Guldito
Aspirant

Started having issues again with internet dropping, did a factory reset after I installed the firmware you sent me the first time "XR500-V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a"

Is there any newer firmware out for testing or am I just not gonna be able to use this router and expect a stable connection?

Message 348 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the mfr and model# of your ISP modem the XR router is connected too? 

Latest FW version is here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.22

@Guldito wrote:

Started having issues again with internet dropping, did a factory reset after I installed the firmware you sent me the first time "XR500-V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a"

Is there any newer firmware out for testing or am I just not gonna be able to use this router and expect a stable connection?

Message 349 of 1,017
cment77
Tutor

Hello. I'm having the same connected Xbox One X internet dropping issue. But mine seems to happen overnight when waking the Xbox from sleep. I don't have any problems when connected and gaming. Would the firmware you are passing out help?

Message 350 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7