× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

MCasteel87
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with my Xr700 I have had this since it came out and I'm constantly getting kicked out of Destiny 2 on Xbox one x and am only getting 110 mbps on speed tests I should be getting over 400. We have tried port forwarding doesn't help at all.
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 601 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are all your devices just going down or just being disconnected from Destiny? If latter its not the same issue. You need to use the Destiny Geo-Filter profile to prevent booting. Also are you testing the speeds on the console? They can be inaccurate best to use a wired PC for better results.
Message 602 of 1,017
Cajunbull
Aspirant

Not playing Destiny, but yes it disconnects everything including wireless.
Message 603 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I was responding to Casteel but I've sent you a PM Cajun
Message 604 of 1,017
Greyductape
Initiate

Having the same issue as a lot of people here. Random internet drop outs. Atleast once a day sometimes 2-3. A reset of the router fixes the issue...temporarily. Have the most recent firmware installed 2.3.2.32. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 605 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

Is there newer then V2.3.2.32-802-3-az-1009 now ? I was thinking about buying the xr700 till i saw people are complaing about the same problems on it.

Message 606 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM
Message 607 of 1,017
smitheram
Guide

Hi,

Is there a more recent beta to try for the XR500?
Message 608 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

I was wondering the same Its so weird like my net is not dropping out on streaming movies and what not but on 3 different computers and ipad websites dropout. I see a ton of lease changes and renewals in my logs like every 30 minutes or so.

Message 609 of 1,017
MCasteel87
Aspirant

The drops are happening in every game only a lot more noticeable in Destiny. How do I enable the destiny geo filter this is the first time I have ever heard of that. Also.on my xbox one x the speed tests are always accurate and yes it is wired. I don't know why people keep saying speed tests on consoles are inaccurate they never are for me always the same readings as my pc when hard wired. On ps4 though they will always be inaccurate because they cap your speed.
Message 610 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

under geo filter next to km away there is a profile button click it and destiny is in the list.

Message 611 of 1,017
MCasteel87
Aspirant

What exactly does the destiny profile do? Can you select multiple games or one at a time?
Message 612 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

I think it just makes a diffrent search area 

Message 613 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Danny, not a new firmware than the one you mentioned.

Smith sent you a PM with that firmware.

Casteel, as above just changes radius and for Destiny disables strict mode. Don't need to use a profile to play a game, just gives our recommended radius
Message 614 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

alright, Thank you I am still having problems i have restored and reflashed firmware.

Message 615 of 1,017
Bobisbadat
Aspirant

After trying the beta firmware XR500 V2.3.2.32-802-3-az-1009 over the weekend, the issue persists @Netduma-Fraser . ~Once per evening, usually during our heavier usage time,  we lose iternet connectivity with no change to online status of router nor modem.  A reboot resolves the issue but only for another day or so.

Message 616 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Bob - sorry to hear it is continuing. There should hopefully be a new build soon. Have you been able to raise a Case ID with NETGEAR? If not, I recommend you do this as they might be able to send you another beta firmware to help with your problem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 617 of 1,017
serpentdeceiver
Aspirant

I have been having this exact issue since I purchased the XR500 and the newest firmware release only made the lose of internet functions happen more often.

I have my XR500 router conected to a ARRIS CM3200A modem.  When the internet stops working through the router, I can plug my devices directly into the modem and see that the ISP and modem are functioning as intended, as far as I can tell.

The issue seems to be heavily or entirely releated to my XBox One X.  I have noticed the hard disk spinning up to download and install updates at the same moment the XR500 stops serving my devices.  It does not disconnect, reset or crash.  I can log into the router via 192.168.1.1 and nothing looks out of the ordinairy in the logs.

I turned off auto updates and put the power option on my XBox One X (connected via LAN) and my XBox One S (connected through wifi) to power saving mode.   This did not stop the issue.

Tonight I installed Hitman 2 and related DLCs onto my XBox One X.  During the installion from DISC it also downloaded large files.  The XR500 disconnected within 10 minutes over and over again.  I unplugged the CAT7 cable from the XBox One X and set-up a wifi connection.  I still lost internet functionality on all other decives, wifi and LAN, within moments.  This was while the XBox One X was powered on, not off/asleep.

I turned my power option back to Instant on mode and let the game install while powered down.  I did not pay attention to if the disconnects continued, but instead watched a Blu-Ray.  Considering that quit a few hours my game is still not installed, I have to assume time was wasted sitting idle, waiting on the router to bring itself back online.

The only "fix" for this issue is to turn the power off and then back on again and wait for the router to reboot.  This isn't what I was expecting when I replaced my functional, but underpowered sub-$100 DD-WRT router I had used for six years without issue with a $300.00 "premium" device.

Message 618 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Serpent - that's a serious problem you're having there, sorry to hear it. I recommend you contact NETGEAR's official support asap to see if they can give you steps to fix or possibly replace the unit: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 619 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

so after many many months of headaches I have hoocked up a diffrent router, all my problems are gone now.

Message 620 of 1,017
hharamis
Tutor

In my case, it appears to be a combination of this XR500 and the comcast XB6 cable modem.

While running with this for months, I lived with router reboots a couple times a week.  No change after the beta firmware.

Then I saw all the talk about Puma issues.  First I moved to my back up Uverse with no reboots for over a week.

Then I swapped my rented comcast XB6 for an XB6-T that has broadcom, and put that back in front of the router, and again no reboots for several days.

I'm not saying another router doesn't handle the Puma issues better...all I am saying is that first make sure you have a modem with a Broadcom chipset if you really want to stick with this router for its gaming features not found elsewhere.  The combo of XR500 + Puma were the cause of my troubles.

Message 621 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

I my modem is a sb8200 its not a puma 6 chip.

Message 622 of 1,017
hharamis
Tutor

Sorry to hear.  I like the gaming features enough from this XR500 to have dealt with this, but really miss the dual wan features of the asus RT-AC87 that I moved away from.  I've found with the XR500 it does upnp for multiple consoles and provides open nat consistently like no other.  also the geo filter stuff to avoid gambit or crucible matches in high latency lobbies it worth it for me.  If not for these, i would have swapped the router.

Message 623 of 1,017
Mossberg
Tutor

Please PM me this beta firmware. I updated the firmware and it’s gotten much worse. It was okay when I first bought it...approx 3months ago. I had to reset it once every 2 weeks or so.

Now I’m resetting it everyday. My home cameras are always out when I most need it due y this router. It’s miserable.

Please help.
Message 624 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Mossberg :

Recently installed a home camera and was woken up at 1:30 AM due to a loss of video alarm. I have the camera set to record continuously, but when I checked Device Manager in the XR500's firmware UI after logging into the router immediately following the alarm, it indicated the camera was offline.  Based on what I've seen in the XR500 System Information Logs, the router appears to be undergoing DHCP lease renewals at fixed intervals (24 hours?), whereupon the camera lease is not renewed (maybe due to the camera not accepting a refreshed/different IP address upon renewal, or otherwise getting confused?). The system info log was filled with DHCP lease renewal events immediately preceding the loss of video alarm; however, the camera lease was not renewed, unlike every other pre-alarm-connected device.

Other routers I've worked with had a UI option to extend the DHCP lease time, but I can see no such option in the XR500's UI. Hopefully a firmware fix is in the works as this is a helpful feature. In the meantime, I've assigned the camera's MAC a reserved IP address near the top of the allowed range via Settings -> Lan Setup -> Address Reservation as well as upping the amount of time it takes for an alarm to trigger, per the camera's software settings, to give the lease time to renew without alarm. Will post back here if this does, or does not, work.

Message 625 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7