× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I'll send you the hotfix firmware now.

Message 626 of 1,017
Bobisbadat
Aspirant

Yes I have an open ticket with them that so far has had no response beyond a couple of blank "bumps".  Do you know if there is any validity to this "bad modem" informtion being sent around?  Like is there some form of compatibility issue or something I can be doing to help narrow down the issue for a fix?  I bought this router because when it works, it works reall well, and the support I saw y'all giving on here was the sealing deal.  I want to help in any way I can, however I'm also nearing my return date for the router.  I want to be able to replace it if there is't a solution in sight.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 627 of 1,017
spdsk8race
Apprentice

Having constant lease renewals, dropped internet connections, or speeds not above 50 mbps until I reboot the router, after turning off all Geo filter and qos, I started to get back to my normal speeds off 800-900 mbps, but then my $300+ router might as well be a $50 dollar. Currently running a beta version of the firmware, already factory reset and still experiencing the same issue. The beta firmware did however fix the wifi from randomly dropping everything, but I don't know if it's any better.
Message 628 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

I feel ya ,  I have had those same problems for months. I can't stream 4k movies on sony devices with QoS on.

Message 629 of 1,017
Mossberg
Tutor

Welp, the firmware did NOT fix the issue.

When I first bought the router, it was fine. It was not noticeably dropping connections. Now, it’s all the time. It stays connected for 24hrs and afterwards, it’s toast.

What are the remaining options? Can I downgrade to an older firmware? Is there a warranty? I just bought it in September.

It’s been miserable—especially having a “smart” home. When I leave the house and my connection goes out, I can’t connect to anything.

In retrospect, I use to have a connection that was online 24/7; 365 (except for inclement weather or outside incident). I would like to go back to that but the thought of wasting $250+ for a device that DOES NOT WORK after such a short period of time.
Message 630 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Mossberg :

Posting back here as promised to let you know the idea posted in #625 (reserving an in-house IP address for the camera) is working for me. The camera no longer loses the connection for more than a few seconds every night. Can't see why this wouldn't work with multiple cameras/devices and their respective 192.168.1.2XX reserved IP addresses (where XX is in the range, 01-50).

Message 631 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@spdsk8race :

What is modem make/model? Reason for question is I want to compare it to a list of modems with known connectivity issues (XR500 magnifies these). Feel free to PM if that's better.

Message 632 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi everyone - I'm going to send this thread link to a NETGEAR project manager to see if there is a newer firmware they can share or if they're aware of any current reason why you might be having issues.

Message 633 of 1,017
Mossberg
Tutor

My issue isn't isolated to just the cameras going out. It's EVERYTHING that's connected to the router going out. I wish it was just the cameras, or just the google home, or just my XBOX...it's everything. SMH. 

Message 634 of 1,017
smitheram
Guide

Hi,

Completly fed up with NETGEAR support, dont seem to care once they have sold the router. I had a Asus RT-AC88U which if I had problems,  could share with the development team and a beta firmware was provided to try if neccessary. Netduma have been fantastic but have there hands tied by NETGEAR who fail to see that the router at the moment is not fit for sale and like a lot of routers at the moment the consumer becomes the guinea pig after splashing out the hard earned cash. Netgear Support is pointless as they do not listen but read of the same hymn sheet. I am going to wait to see if a firmware release happens this november but with 4 days to go I am not holding out much hope and considering another router option.

Message 635 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I was constantly losing connection with my xbox one X and my home security. I have 6 cameras... those are 5 nest and a ringdoora bell. I fixes the drop outs by manually assigning a Ip address to each device. Has been bout 4 days now with out any drop.
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 636 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

^ Yeah only takes a few minutes once you know what to do.

Message 637 of 1,017
spdsk8race
Apprentice

@ngearftard

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work with Black Friday,
Make: Pace/Arris
Model: 5268ac
Att UVerse gigapower
Message 638 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@spdsk8race :

I hear you; not doing this for a living either. Broadcom chipset, so it's probably not the modem. With modem ruled out, try this:

Pick one device that's dropping out, and give it a fixed in-house IP address (see last paragraph of Message #625 in this thread for how to do this). If you don't already know: you can copy and paste the device's MAC address from the Device Manager page of the UI. Give it 24 hours. If it works, do the same for all the devices that are dropping. This fixed a wifi camera that was dropping for me.

Message 639 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@smitheram - I can't give an exact ETA, but NETGEAR are working hard to release the next firmware for the XR500. Hopefully it won't be a much longer wait.

Message 640 of 1,017
Mossberg
Tutor

Hmm? I turned off “instant on” on the Xbox One(I thought it was already off) and have gone TWO DAYS without any drops! Hmm?
Message 641 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's what we think the issue is related to so thanks for confirming that
Message 642 of 1,017
Mossberg
Tutor

Yup...I may be in the clear. Another FULL day of zero drops since turning that feature off.
Message 643 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Great, that's good to know this was your cause. Thanks for the update.

Message 644 of 1,017

Same issue here. Just bought the xr500 2 days ago and it's dropped all internet, both lan and wireless. Connection directly to spectrum modem (Technicolor DPC3216), bypassing router and internet works. Reset to factory and now it won't detect internet at all to even set the router up...

Have to hook up ole Linksys wrt1900ac that's worked flawless for 5 years.
Message 645 of 1,017
Descent
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue as well. I’ve had the XR 500 for only 2 days Very frustrating. Once it drops, I am forced to reset the router before anything can connect to the internet again. Sometimes that won’t even do it.
Message 646 of 1,017

I've restarted both modem and router 100000 times and it won't get a internet signal anymore.
Message 647 of 1,017
IVexati0n
Aspirant

Have a motorola MB8600 as my modem and that connects to my XR500. My connection will randonly drop for all devices (wired AND wireless ) then the internet LED light on my R700 turns solid red.
Is there a fox for this? I literally bought these devices 3 days ago.
Message 648 of 1,017

quick update, after a few hours, and to many to count reboots of router and modem, I unplugged the xbox one ethernet cable, rebooted everything it I have internet again..Not sure if this is what the cause is though, but im leaving it unplugged for now to see. 

Message 649 of 1,017
JonQwest
Aspirant

Looks like the drops have come back. I'm on V2.3.2.32 and both wired and wifi dropped out completely. Is there a beta FW that I can try?
Message 650 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7