× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet, XR500 drops connection wireless and wired

Bulldaw6
Guide

Re: XR500 drops internet

I got super frustrated and went outside for a bit, i came back in and went through the "setup process" though the router  without  a factory reset. It did restorre my internet, but the reason i rebooted the router in the first place is becasue im getting half the speeds i pay for. I plug ethernet in pc directly and i get the correct speeds. Im beyond frustrated with this router, the cons are starting to outweigh the pros. V2.3.2.32 is the firware im on, havent had any internet drops  drops since i cut off instant on while using this firware, but today with my internet being completely down during "rush hour" for my home was unaceptable. Still not sure what to do about getting half speeds.

Message 701 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Are you getting almost exactly half speeds? I remember seeing this before and it was to do with that user's modem. For some reason having it in Bridge mode halved his speeds.

Have you got yours in Bridge Mode / Modem Mode? If so, try putting it back to normal mode and seeing if speeds return to full. 

And just in case I've misremembered, if you're already in normal mode, try setting it to Bridge Mode and see if that fixes it.

Message 702 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

photos with and without router. I do not have a modem, fiber runs directly into my home from a junction box outside. 

Message 703 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

IMG_2893.jpgIMG_2894.jpg

Message 704 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

To be honest, idk how to change from bridge to modem mode or vise versa. I let the setup process do it. 

Message 705 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

Apparently the router is getting the speeds I pay for, just not distributing it to comp, Xbox, etc...
Message 706 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is QoS completely disabled from Anti-Bufferbloats options? If not try that do you receive full speeds?

If not give the XR500 the MAC address of the previous router you had. Sometimes ISP doesn't handle a new router well.
Message 707 of 1,017
rickvidallon
Aspirant

XR500 drops internet, XR500 drops connection wireless and wired

I had an IT company double check all my settings. SAME FIRGGIN PROBLEM. Drop Internet to Wireless and Wireless devices. Taking this piece of crap back to the store. What a waste of time.

Message 708 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Rick it's hard to keep track but have you tried any of the workarounds that have worked for people/are you using beta firmware?
Message 709 of 1,017
rickvidallon
Aspirant

I called an IT professional who double checked my settings for IP conflicts and DCPH ranges. Short of reboots, spit, duck tape and rubber bands; what would you like me to try?

Message 710 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

Hey Boss, not trying to sound like an ass here. Ive use several routers with the same isp, 2 of them netgears. Im not about to use the mac adress of a $200 netgear for $400 netgear. Dont even have the router anywhere. Please just fix the router!!!!!!!!! Im one more internet drop away from ordering a t-link for christs sake. 

Message 711 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Those are unlikely to help. The suggestions given previously has been to:
Give devices Static IPs (incase DHCP lease renewal causes it)
Disable Instant On/Standby modes on consoles (as we've determined this to be directly related to the issue)
Use a switch behind the router to connect your devices to it
Use the beta firmware (just sent in a PM)

@BULL, thats a legitimate issue that can happen regardless of the router. Could you answer the QoS questions from my previous post please
Message 712 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

Idk, get home and everything is working as it should.
Yes I had qos off yesterday when I had issues. Could have been bugged when it wouldn’t give me an internet connection. For the most part, it has worked fine with instant on turned off. Haven’t changed a single setting on sons ps4. Haven’t had too
Message 713 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay well keep us updated on your progress, no need to change everything now if its working
Message 714 of 1,017
NadePeace
Aspirant

I have been netduma r1 user for a long time. I have always experienced wireless drop and you have to restart the router or click apply in settings to get the wireless back. I was hoping dumaos would finally fix the problem and actually didn’t do anything, still internet drop.

So, yesterday I finally said enough is enough and went to Best Buy and purchased Nighthawk XR500. Go home, setup everything , played a couple of games and two hours later wireless went out. A couple minutes later the entire internet went down .. restarted the router and everything was back on. This morning did a same thing again.

There is definitely something going on with the dumaos ..
Message 715 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

Does firmware V2.3.2.40 have the hotfix apart of it also I did not see anything listed about connection on notes.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 716 of 1,017

Don't even bother updating. It pretty much rendered mine useless. Starting over to factory settings gs because after update, an error now appears about the start_cycle. Nothing would work.
Message 717 of 1,017
Vinotauro
Guide

I have to warn everyone here that this firmware literally wouldn't let me connect to the internet. This is definitely the last nergear router I'll ever buy lmao
Message 718 of 1,017

Yeah my router is dead now. Installing.40 FW just killed it. Even doing a factory it's keeping the latest FW installed. So dumb.
Message 719 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you start an individual thread if you’re having issues and give as much information as possible and we/Netgear can help you fix it.
Message 720 of 1,017
Gingeg
Guide

Hi all, haven’t posted for about a month now but have been monitoring this post. I had problems with my XR500 firmware V2.3.2.32 when I first installed. Constant loss of wired and WiFi connections. All devices setup with static IP’s. After rebooting the router everything worked fine for a few hours then I would loose connection again. After several factory resets I managed to get a stable connection and everything has been working for over a month now. I have now upgraded to the latest firmware V2.3.2.40 and everything is still running perfectly. I must be one of the lucky ones. Sorry to see everyone that is having so many problems with their routers. Hope your problems are sorted out soon because when this router works it really is a great piece of kit.
Message 721 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

even on .40 Still can't stream any 4k content on sony devices with QoS on. I can't believe others are not having the same problem.

Message 722 of 1,017

I ended up taking the router back and got a refund. Bought a different brand and everything works now.
Message 723 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

IMG_2928.jpg

Message 724 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Danny80916 could you make a post on forum.netduma.com please explaining your issue and the steps you've tried please. Then I can pass the information over to our Developers who can take a look further.

@EnticeTheMalice, very sorry to hear that, did you get a chance to try the recent update? We hope you'll consider the router again in future.

@Bulldaw6, cannot see the image at the moment as it needs to be moderated.
Message 725 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7