× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet, XR500 drops connection wireless and wired

Itsnotuitsme
Aspirant

So for a few months the xr500 has been running brilliantly since I got the beta firmware(can’t remember which one). Was on my phone to delete unused apps and was about to delete the netgear app but thought I would check it out first. It notified me that an update was available and I stupidly clicked instal. Well I wish I hadn’t I’ve had **bleep** WiFi since. Took me an hour or so just to internet back on the xr500 and when I did I had less than half my WiFi speeds. I went on the netgear app and done a Speedtest and according to the app the xr500 was getting my full speeds. After many many restarts I eventually got full WiFi speeds. So on to today it’s back to less than half WiFi speeds. The only thing that has changed in my setup is the firmware on the xr500. I notice instant on mentioned and have had my upstairs Xbox one on instant on for a long time as I’m in the preview program and there are a lot of updates but have had no problems until I installed the latest update. The update was installed on Friday 14th December so I assume it’s the latest public firmware. Not sure if having the problems outweigh what the router does as in cod and battlefield v there are always players from outside my region that have horrendous pings that ruin the game for me may as well go back to my r7000🤔.

Iv noticed it’s using my computer MAC address is this correct or should it be using its own MAC address?.

Message 726 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you testing the WiFi speeds and are you getting it on all devices?
Message 727 of 1,017
Itsnotuitsme
Aspirant

The only things that use WiFi are tablets and phones so this is how I’m testing the WiFi. My phone was struggling to load a web pages this morning so that’s when I done the test.

I just did the apply trick that someone mentions above and I’ve got nearly full speeds so will monitor it as the day goes on.

Message 728 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great keep us updated!
Message 729 of 1,017

I updated to the .40 FW and it rendered the unit useless. No matter what it would never pull a internet connection. I finally had enough of it after days of issues. Don't get me wrong, I love dumaOS and it sucks not having it now, but I think a mistake was made going with Netgear. dumaOS should be available on all major brands.
Message 730 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

A factory reset and going through the initial setup wizard should have got you an internet connection
Message 731 of 1,017

Negative. It did not. I did a factory several times. Even on first setup out of box I had issues with it. Only thing I can think is it did not like the spectrum modem. That modem did not have puma in it so not sure what else it could have been.
Message 732 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Were you on PPPoE or IPv6 by chance?
Message 733 of 1,017

TBH I'm not sure. My previous router I had to disable ip6 as it didn't take to well with it.
Message 734 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If PPPoE you likely needed to change it the connection mode to always connected
Message 735 of 1,017
Itsnotuitsme
Aspirant

So it seems I’ve gone from less than half to no speed whatsoever. Was on the duma os on my tablet(it’s crap on mobile) checking everything and as I logged out it seems to have completely logged the xr500 out of any internet at all. Tried the restart devices ie modem router and still nothing it will not pickup internet at all. The internet light just flashes orange 😡. As it’s the middle of the night I’m not doing anymore with it. 

Message 736 of 1,017
Vinotauro
Guide

With all due respect to the Netduma guys with their non stop support, I've decided to return the router and go ASUS. So far zero issues. For $300, these kinds of things should not be happening and there has been no fix in sight. That's pretty ridiculous. I wish Netduma would have gone with a different partner than Nergear but it is what it is. Good luck everyone!
Message 737 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@Itsnotuitsme - have you rebooted your modem and then your router? I should think this will solve most common problems.

Did you also make any changes to the Internet setup? E.g. changing the settings on your Nighthawk or on your modem?

Worst case, it might be worth factory resetting your router to initiate the inital setup wizard again. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Message 738 of 1,017
Itsnotuitsme
Aspirant

Hi thanks for the reply. I was only looking at the os on my tablet I didn’t change anything all I did was log out then bam internet gone. I did all the usual stuff and a factory reset several times and still nothing. It just got to the internet test and said can’t get internet. Then I paid attention to what was on the screen and it said your modem was not rebooted during setup or something along those lines. So while my router was on I rebooted my modem and after about 5mins I had internet back. When I got the xr500 I had to start my modem and then the xr500. Not sure why the other way round this time. Now my major concern is why did it just completely loose internet connection and not reconnect after a reboot like usual. I don’t really want to have to go through factory reset to often.
Message 739 of 1,017
NadePeace
Aspirant

I don’t think the issue has anything to do with netgear because does the same thing with their own R1 router. I had to restart it every single morning , otherwise I would loose internet mid day. Nighthawk is doing the same thing. Took the router back, got asus and have been running without a single issue.

They will need some time to fix all them issues. I will probably give them another chance in a year or so, but right now is big no no ..

Message 740 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@Itsnotuitsme It sounds like it might have been a dropout on your modem / overall Internet line, but it's hard to know for sure. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but keep a look out in case it does.

Message 741 of 1,017
Homeslice
Tutor

Re: XR500 drops internet

Ive tried everything with the xr500 it seems to run a lot better with the old firmware but the usb 3.0 ports will cause the router to reboot when you use it so stay away.its sad that you pay $299 for a product that’s such a headache I’m gonna just return this because netgear support suck really bad I feel they don’t know there own products
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 742 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that. If you still own it, you could try downgrading the USB to 2.0 through the readyshare setting and see if that solves the problem.
Message 743 of 1,017
Homeslice
Tutor

I got tried of downgrading and just took that router back and upgraded to the xr700 and so far so good. Router has not rebooted and my speeds is back to normal.
Message 744 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, but glad that the XR700 is treating you well!
Message 745 of 1,017
rickvidallon
Aspirant

Re: XR500 drops internet -X10 Cannot connect to LAN or WAN

I went out and bought a x10. I figured if I throew more money at the problem it might help.

Got home and could not connect LAN or WAN. Nothing.... Crap, crap, crap. After 3 hours I found an old post where someone had did the following.
1. Reset the router. (paper clip in slot)
2. Reboot router
3. Under security turned-off one bandwidth for WPA (takes a while.. go grab a beer)
4. Reboot again
5. Everything connected.
6. Restore WPA security.
7. LAN and WAN working now ( more shall be revealed; fingers crossed)

Message 746 of 1,017
meangreene
Aspirant

I having the same issues with the internet dropping out.  It also happens to all my fire devices.  Is there new Firmware i could get?

Message 747 of 1,017
rickvidallon
Aspirant

I tried everything possible over a 20 day period. I even had a professional IT person take a looks at the settings. I returned it to Best Buy and bought an X10. No problems; going on day 3! 

Message 748 of 1,017
JonQwest
Aspirant

I'm hoping this issue can be resolved sooner than later. On .40 FW and still have connection loss on both hardwire and wifi. I really don't feel like dropping another 300 bucks to replace something I've had for less than a year, but given me more problems than it should have.

Message 749 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You may have a faulty unit - have you contacted NETGEAR to request a replacement? Let us know your Case ID if so and we can let them know too.

Message 750 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7