× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet, XR500 drops connection wireless and wired

JonQwest
Aspirant

So, since I'm outside of the 90 days for "complimentary support", I'd have to pay for premium support, which is an additional MINIMUM of $89 before I can even send in the unit for Warranty. What an absolute joke.

Message 751 of 1,017
Navox
Aspirant

I am running Firmware v2.3.2.40

I am still having issues with the internet dropping randomly and even with a reboot the router is still unable to regain the internet connection.

I know this is not the cable modem because I can take my pc and plug it directly to the cable modem and then get internet back immediately. 

Is there another firmware version I can try.  I really want to love this router but I am really close to returning it.  

Message 752 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

I was having the same issue. I changed the MAC to my windowss 10 pc and never had a problem ever since. I heard using your previous modem MAC adresss works at well but I have no idea what it was.... Just make sure you reboot the modem first wait then the router.... This Worked for me!
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 753 of 1,017
Billybudz420
Apprentice

Re: XR500 drops I internet, XR500 drops connection wireless and wired

I was having the same issue. I changed the MAC to my windowss 10 pc and never had a problem ever since. I heard using your previous modem MAC adresss works at well but I have no idea what it was.... Just make sure you reboot the modem first wait then the router.... This Worked for me!
Message 754 of 1,017
JonQwest
Aspirant

@Billybudz420 wrote:

Gonna give that shot. Thanks.

Message 755 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hope it works for you Jon 

Message 756 of 1,017
soccerpeve
Initiate

Hey guys, I havent read all 31 pages of comments but I had a similar issue as being discussed. My wifi connection was super slow 0.5mbps down and 0.1 up.

Direct connect to modem didnt fix the issue. (Router problem coming soon) Well, ran an admin cmd window and put ipconfig/renew and BAM, my internet is back up to 35-40mbps.

I hook router back up, wifi connects, NO internet connection. No song and dance of power on/off would work. Not even a FACTORY reset! So while on Wi-Fi I ran ipconfig/renew again. Within 20 seconds internet was working perfect again thru Wi-Fi.

Anyway, just a thought. As far as I know I'm on newest firmware publicly available.
Message 757 of 1,017
soccerpeve
Initiate

Also, mine was dropping internet connection frequently prior to this event. Then it was extremely slow which led to speed tests etc. Anyway, best of luck. I've had no disconnects for a day. Crossing fingers.
Message 758 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for sharing your solution, that's awesome 😄

Message 759 of 1,017
kscott76
Initiate

Netduma_Jack, I am also having a similar issue with the XR500. Owned it for about a week now. The first day it worked great. Then wifi drops started happing on the 2nd day and everyday since. Nest Cams started dropping and coming back line mainly early morning and late night and poor wifi connection on other devices. What can be done to correct this?  

Little back ground: I had an apple airport extreme connected and had no internet issues. I went with the XR500 becuse of the netduma software. The nexduma works great with my hardwired PS4. Love that part of it. 

Any help would be great!

Regards, 

Message 760 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We identified that devices mainly consoles in a standby state can cause the internet to disconnect. We're investigating it, make sure to turn off the console fully and that should resolve it
Message 761 of 1,017
kscott76
Initiate

I will try that. My PS4 was in rest mode. I will turn it off advise back if it works. 

Thanks. 

Message 762 of 1,017
Ozzmanj1
Aspirant

Re: XR500 drops internet

May I please get a PM with a link for the xr500 firmware V2.3.2.26, thank you

Message 763 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support to get a link. I would start here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Ozzmanj1 wrote:

May I please get a PM with a link for the xr500 firmware V2.3.2.26, thank you

Message 764 of 1,017
prbugzdaman7
Initiate

Let me start out by saying man oh man am I disappointed in Netgear. I've owned several Netgear products throught my lifetime in networking, but the XR500 is by far my most frustrating device I have purchased to this day. I purchased the XR500 because of the new features, hardware, and OS. I've had the router for almost a year but have constant issues with WiFi. Just to give you a background on my home network I have Verizon Fios gigabit. I have a direct Cat 6E cable coming from the Verixon Fios Node on the side of my home into the XR500 WAN port with my home PC wired directclty into one of the ports on the back of the XR500. I've had nothing but issues with the WiFi ever since I set up the XR500. I've been following this thread for a while now and have ran into the same issues as most of the users on this thread. I've tried all of the work arounds and fixes, but I'm still running into the issue with my WiFi. Prior to purchasing the XR500 I had the R7000. Never had any WiFi issues with my R7000. Mind you I've used the 5G and the 2.4G connections in my home when I had the XR7000. Both frequencies on the XR500 keep droping and loosing connection to the Internet. Not sure what's going on here, but it definitely seems to be software related issues that doen't seem to be playing nice with the hardware. I don't have any definitive reasoning pointing it to be software related, but base on all the issues in the 31 pages of reply's, it points to the software. I have since purchased Googles WiFi mesh system and will be implementing this over the weekend. I'll post an update once I have it set up and working. But man am I disappointed in Netgear. 

Message 765 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that prbugzdaman7, all I can say is the very best teams are on it, Netgear and Xbox and others. They're not taking the issue lightly and I hope they'll be a resolution soon.
Message 766 of 1,017
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

This was first reported in May 2018. Its February 2019!  Unacceptable!  How about Netgear refund all those that bought the XR500.  It’s been nine months and no resolution the problem. But, instead of addressing the issues, Netgear releases the XR700!  🤦‍♂️

I, myself, have not experienced ANY of the issues described in this thread.  I currently have only one peripheral connected to the back of the XR500: The Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Gaming and Streaming Switch. 

I have NO XR500 internet drops.  My Xbox One X is set to INSTANT ON and I’ve never had any issues with it losing connection to the internet (connected via Ethernet to the back of the S8000). 

My suggestion. Connect nothing to the back of the XR500 except a switch.  Connect all Ethernet connected devices to the back if the switch.  It’s working for me.  😁

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Sorry to hear that prbugzdaman7, all I can say is the very best teams are on it, Netgear and Xbox and others. They're not taking the issue lightly and I hope they'll be a resolution soon.

Message 767 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure if the problem lies with NG to be honest as other routers have this problem too - they're doing their best to try to find a solution with Microsoft. It's a hard one to hunt down too, because only a small % of Xbox owners are affected by it

Message 768 of 1,017
shockwaveeeTV
Aspirant

this has been happening lately where the xr500 disconnts randomly at any time it wants any help? firmware is uptodate

Message 769 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@shockwaveeeTV wrote:

this has been happening lately where the xr500 disconnts randomly at any time it wants any help? firmware is uptodate

Message 770 of 1,017
shockwaveeeTV
Aspirant

Firmware is 2.3.2.40 the model of the modem is the NG cm1000 and also dont know what a mff is.
Message 771 of 1,017
Stevecook
Apprentice

When I have the router page open and looking at the geo filter when I'm playing bo4 I keep getting a message that I'm no longer connected to my router or check internet connection. I have to disconnect from my wireless internet and reconnect then it reconnects to the router. It does this every 15 minutes or so. I don't think I'm losing internet as it doesn't drop me out of the game or I don't get a connection error. It seems like I'm losing connection to the router. As soon as I disconnect and reconnect it communicates again. What would be causing this.
Message 772 of 1,017

Can confirm I'm getting this now. It's got worse and worse now. It's almost every 10 mins. Doesn't matter if on WiFi or wired connection, everything drops. Running latest firmware 2.3.2.40, and this affects both wired and wireless connections. It's really bad now and would love some kind of update on when we can expect an update that resolves this issue. It's been going on for some time now.

Message 773 of 1,017
Smaugger
Tutor

Been having the very same issues since I bought this router almost a year ago. This thread has been up a year which shows I'm not the only one having issues. Can I just get a refund at this point? Paying $300 for a router that doesn't work correctly is not good service. I've only owned and recommended Netgear routers in the past but will not be recommending them anymore unless Netgear takes responsibilty for this terrible router. I do not have an xbox hooked up to my network so please don't place the blame on Microsoft.

Message 774 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you try downgrading back one firmware iteration to .32 please: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Let us know if the issue continues. This will help us to track down the possible cause for your drop outs.

Message 775 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7