× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Stevecook
Apprentice

If I revert back then I won't have the ping setting will I?
Message 776 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You won't, no. So just do it temporarily to see if the problem is there. If it's stable then we know the problem is something introduced by the latest firmware. (You can obvioulsy upgrade back to the latest version if you want)

Message 777 of 1,017
lelodad
Initiate

How silly am I?
Every time I get an email notification of a new post to this thread I think “this will be the time that a multi-million dollar company has done the work and gotten it right...”
Well, guess what?
Disappointed again.
Message 778 of 1,017
Stevecook
Apprentice

I like the new features but I guess what good is it if every 10 minutes I have to disconnect connection to wifi and reconnect. It's weird as I do not lose internet. I have the geo filter open while I play games so I can see my ping and other stuff every match. It's kinda an ocd. But every 10 minutes it says lost connect to router please wait whit it's reconnecting but my game doesn't drop out. So since the game doesn't drop out that tells me I'm still connected to internet but for some reason it loses connection while I'm in the router login page looking at my ping.

I love the features of the Duma os for my gaming. Is there another router out there that offers the Duma os. This router is great when it works but it seems just to have alot of bugs for as expena8as it is.
Is the Duma os in beta phase or something. What would be causing so many issues.
Message 779 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you access the interface via routerlogin.net or the LAN IP? Try whichever one you don't use, do you get the disconnect message still? DumaOS is only on XR450, XR500, XR700 or the R1 (Netduma's own router) in beta phase.
Message 780 of 1,017
anthony_p
Aspirant

I have now had the XR500 for 4-5 months and the internet is dropping out a couple times a week. I'm completely disgusted and considering this problem has been around for a year even more disappointed. In Australia this is a $400 to $500 router and it cannot even maintain a consistent internet connection. My anger has increased even further today because I cannot contact my teenage son via our VOIP home phone because this bloody router is disconnected. I think it's probably beyond the period where I can return the product, so I'll need to spend hundreds more to buy a new router, but NEVER a Netgear product of any sort. 

I will add that I have upgraded to the latest firmware, read through the hundreds of threads with absolutely no success. To reconnect is not simply a case of resetting. I need to enter the OS, run through setup to have this router re-establish a connection. Therefore whenever it disconnects, if i'm not home the whole family have to wait until I get home to fix the issue and have any internet connectivity. What a joke. You would think on reset the router would attempt to connect the WAN. 

Message 781 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would definitely suggest contacting Netgear support and see if you can arrange a replacement with them.
Message 782 of 1,017
vpoffice
Aspirant

I agree. Have had the router almost a year and had to replace it as my primary router because it was so unreliable. I've been hoping that by following this feed Netgear would fix the problem and I could use it again on a daily basis, but no go so far. VERY DISAPPOINTING!
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 783 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There will be an update that will fix it in future, I'm sure of it.
Message 784 of 1,017

I was having this problem for months!

Turns out it was definitely the XR500. I have BT Infinity 2, used a Vigor 130 in bridge mode, connected to the XR500, with the XR500 setup with a PPoE connection, (including username and password), with QoS enabled to address buffer bloat and ensure my gaming experience wasn't impacted too much when my wife was doing anything else on WiFi.

I still have the Vigor 130, but now have an EdgeRouter X connected to it, (with Smart Queue Management enabled) and a Ubiquiti AP connected to the EdgeRouter X providing the wireless connection. Had this running for over a month now, and not a single drop of internet connectivity. Have been able to plugin all my wireless plugs, leave devices in standby, etc and everything is just fine.

XR500 has now been sold on eBay. Such a shame as I think the NetDuma guys have been awesome in their responses and support, (probably the best forum help I've seen), but the device itself was very poor. Thank you to NetDuma mods for their help and support and good luck to everyone in the future. Hopefully this gets sorted soon, but I just couldn't live with the dropouts any longer.

Message 785 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

Message 786 of 1,017
JNewms
Guide

I too have been having non stop issues. The .40 firmware is completely unviable to run for me. It's constantly dropping internet and the internet light will turn orange. I have to go into the os and set the router up again to get it working. I've reverted to the previous firmware, but I'm not pulling speeds that I should at all. I'm using it with a CM1000 modem. I've been waiting for quite awhile now for a firmware update to address these issues, but there's been no communication from Netgear on when that'll happen. I expected much more for the price I paid for this hardware.
Message 787 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are the speeds you're getting vs what you expect? What are your QoS settings?
Message 788 of 1,017
JNewms
Guide

I am typically getting <200 Mb/s, even though I have gigabit internet. Qos settings are set to 80% when high priority traffic is detected.

I've been dealing with these sub par speeds for the entirety of owning this router. I assumed an update would be fixing it, but I have now given up hope of that. I am far beyond any exchange or return period so it seems I have to live with this hardware for the time being.
Message 789 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

I know its probably not helpful but I had a cm1000 and xr500 I am sure if you look at my username I posted problems with the xr500 and cm1000 together along time ago . Honestly after I changed out the cm1000 with a diffrent modem I never had a problem again .

Message 790 of 1,017
JNewms
Guide

What modem did you switch to?
Message 791 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

well to be honest with the internet,I had other problems but after much trouble shooting I found the problem to be with my nighthawk switch 

Message 792 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

sb8200 but I been eyeing the new netgear modem 

Message 793 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-and-cm1000/m-p/1567696#M1603

Was my post back in the day but yea i was having problems with the cm1000 and xr500 the internet light would glow amber and I could not connect to the 192.168.1.100 page. I went to return the xr500 thinking it was the problem till like i went to setup my other router and oddly enough it kept happening with that netgear router also. I went out and grabbed the sb8200 because it was the only other modem at the time that was docis 3.1

Message 794 of 1,017
JNewms
Guide

Good to know. I may have to look into another modem then
Message 795 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

might want to check out see if your firmware is current 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

if its not you can try power cycling your modem or holding the rest button on the back for 30 seconds or so

Message 796 of 1,017
JNewms
Guide

Not even sure how to check what firmware my modem is on. And only the ISP can update it

Just checked, it's up to date
Message 797 of 1,017
Danny80916
Luminary

that is true only isp can update it but sometimes you can force a update by reseting the modem or even power cycling it if it is not currently updated 

Message 798 of 1,017
NoUse4Namez
Aspirant

I just purchased the XR500 and have it all set up.
I was playing black ops 4 on ps4 pro and just had sudden dropout of all internet (WiFi and LAN.
Any ideas?
Do I need a different firmware?
Message 799 of 1,017
JNewms
Guide

Which firmware are you on?
Message 800 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7