× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

NoUse4Namez
Aspirant

I am getting occasional dropouts.
Once every day or two.
Do I need to use reset button or just cycle power?
Message 826 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@NoUse4Namez wrote:
I am getting occasional dropouts.
Once every day or two.
Do I need to use reset button or just cycle power?

Message 827 of 1,017
NoUse4Namez
Aspirant

Losing all internet not just WiFi.
I don’t see how this could be a channel or neighbor causing interference?
Message 828 of 1,017
NoUse4Namez
Aspirant

Back to firmware 1.32
Message 829 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Had v32 worked for you before? 

Are you doing a factory reset after applying any FW updates? 

@NoUse4Namez wrote:
Back to firmware 1.32

Message 830 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd stay on .32 if that performs better for you, otherwise I'd suggest setting a static WAN IP in Internet Setup in case it's not renewing it's IP correctly with the upstream modem/router.
Message 831 of 1,017
goshantmeher
Aspirant

my connection drops randomly, I was having this issue for the past 1 month, I thought it was my isp but it is not, I tried with another router working fine. I noticed that when I was streaming on ps4 and someone watches youtube at the same time due to heavy usage it freeze and disconnect all connection. A router of this price at least can handle this bandwidth. 

Note: ps4 on a wired connection.

please help me with this.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 832 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What model XR router do you have? 

@goshantmeher wrote:

my connection drops randomly, I was having this issue for the past 1 month, I thought it was my isp but it is not, I tried with another router working fine. I noticed that when I was streaming on ps4 and someone watches youtube at the same time due to heavy usage it freeze and disconnect all connection. A router of this price at least can handle this bandwidth. 

Note: ps4 on a wired connection.

please help me with this.

Message 833 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Looks like you're on the XR700 and not XR500. I'd recommend creating your own topic as it's likely a different issue. Sounds like you need to either update to the latest firmware or ensure you're using QoS so you're not saturating your connection.
Message 834 of 1,017
goshantmeher
Aspirant

Can you please tell me which version i have to download , mine ...40. and it still crashes
Message 835 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Try v32...factory reset after loading the file and then setup from scratch. 

@goshantmeher wrote:
Can you please tell me which version i have to download , mine ...40. and it still crashes

Message 836 of 1,017
goshantmeher
Aspirant

Mine xr500, pppoe connection, no idea about what modem isp using
Message 837 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are your QoS settings? You could try .32 in that case
Message 838 of 1,017
goshantmeher
Aspirant

I tried v32, reset from scratch, my ps4 is on high priority. Tried port forwarding, static ip, dmz, mtu to 1464 +28 which is 1492 on ps4, nothing changes.
Still ps4 disconnecting again and again . I thought it was only with ps4 but my all devices are also having internet connection issue for a moment.
Tried to contact isp but they told my session was not logging out it was active and they sent me session log there were no session disconnection from isp end.
Message 839 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What about Anti-Bufferbloat? By what you've seen it seems to happen via saturating your network. What are your internet speeds?
Message 840 of 1,017
goshantmeher
Aspirant

I set antibuffer download and upload 70 from slider
And it is in high priority detected.
One more thing to add here.
When i test connection in ps4 it says some ip packet fragmented, i dont know what does it means.
My previous router have no issue with this fragmented thing never shows that but with xr500 everytime.
Message 841 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's because you have changed the MTU, likely to an incorrect amount. Revert the PS4 back to automatic settings. If you changed this on the router then change it back as could be the cause of your issues.
Message 842 of 1,017
WillTone01
Aspirant

Could you please send me the firmware update.

Thank you
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 843 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There is no beta firmware for the XR500 currently. The latest publicly available version may resolve your issue.
Message 844 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

My internet connection drops once a week, usually during the middle of the night when no one in the household is online.  We wake up to find no Internet, but VoIP phone still working.  I reboot the XR500 and modem and connection is restored for another week.  I am on the latest firmware and have done factory reset per suggestions in this thread.  Please help.

Message 845 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You might try reverting back to v32 FW, reset and setup from scratch and see if it still happens...

@Xenos8 wrote:

My internet connection drops once a week, usually during the middle of the night when no one in the household is online.  We wake up to find no Internet, but VoIP phone still working.  I reboot the XR500 and modem and connection is restored for another week.  I am on the latest firmware and have done factory reset per suggestions in this thread.  Please help.

Message 846 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

ISP is Optimum Online.  Modem is supplied by them Arris TM1602.  It's not a WiFi issue or signal issue because when I lose Internet the internet light on the router goes from green to red.

Message 847 of 1,017
NoUse4Namez
Aspirant

Mine was dropping out ran.
I restored firmware to previous version.
Still had random drop but would come right back up on its own.
Been about three weeks now with no drops.
Message 848 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Try reverting back to v32. 

Also seen problems with Arris TM1602 modems. These are not the greatest modems. You might change out this modem for a NG CM1000/1100 or Arris SB6183/8200 or Motorola MB7420/8600.

@Xenos8 wrote:

ISP is Optimum Online.  Modem is supplied by them Arris TM1602.  It's not a WiFi issue or signal issue because when I lose Internet the internet light on the router goes from green to red.

Message 849 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Downgrade and see if that resolves your issue, if not then it sounds to me as though the DHCP lease is trying to renew but failing, in which case setting reserved/static IPs for your devices may resolve it.
Message 850 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7