× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Xenos8
Apprentice

The more I think about it, it might be the modem as you stated.  The reason I purchased the XR500 a month ago was because I thought my Asus router was going bad.  It too was dropping the internet, but multiple times a day.  Maybe that router wasn't bad after all.  Maybe its my modem.  I also saved the log file from the XR500.  I'll go through it for DHCP errors as well before I make the call to Optimum.  I'll keep you posted.

Message 851 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

I personally don't like the Arris TM modems. Smiley Tongue

Might check to see if you can BYOM...

@Xenos8 wrote:

The more I think about it, it might be the modem as you stated.  The reason I purchased the XR500 a month ago was because I thought my Asus router was going bad.  It too was dropping the internet, but multiple times a day.  Maybe that router wasn't bad after all.  Maybe its my modem.  I also saved the log file from the XR500.  I'll go through it for DHCP errors as well before I make the call to Optimum.  I'll keep you posted.

Message 852 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@Xenos8  - there's a new trial firmware from NETGEAR that might fix your problem (assuming the issue if on your XR500). I'll PM the link to you now so you can try it out. Let us know in this thread if it works!

Message 853 of 1,017
BOZGBOZG
Star

Can you PM me the link too? @Netduma_Jack
Message 854 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Will send it to you now 🙂

Message 855 of 1,017
DillyDilly
Apprentice

Can I please also get a link to the trial firmware?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 856 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

Thanks for the info but I want to try replacing the modem first. One change at a time to see what the problem is. I went to Optimum Store this morning and they gave me a new modem. They claim that my modem was a mismatch for my speed and that is why I could be having and issue. I pay for 200MB and they said modem was for 300-400MB. I find it hard to believe that this is the issue because this just started a month ago. But who knows. They could be changing infrastructure and it just caught up to me. I will let you know how I make out.
Message 857 of 1,017
Code_kill
Guide

What exactly is this trial firmware supposed to help with and can anyone confirm it is working yet? If so I would also like to try it please 🙂
Message 858 of 1,017
Code_kill
Guide

Or not.. that's cool lol 😜
Message 859 of 1,017
Killhippie
Prodigy

Any chance of slinging the trial firmware link my way too via the Netduma site, Jack? Much appreciated if you can.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 860 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

So I setup the replacement modem Optonline gave me yesterday.  It an Arris TM822.  So far so good, but I need to wait a week before I'll be satisfied that it fixed the problem.  I will keep the forum posted.

Message 861 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

I think it was NetDuma Jack with the link to the trial firmware. I’m not sure what it changes or corrects so I am not comfortable using it until it’s production ready.
Message 862 of 1,017
BanditMask
Aspirant

Jack, xr500 user also, can you send me the link to the trial firmware. 

Message 863 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Sending the link to everyone who has asked for it.

As far as we know, it contains a hotfix which may solve the small % of users who have experienced drop outs. There's no other changs from the public firmware (.40)

Message 864 of 1,017
Jlpotter76
Tutor

Can you please send the link to me as well. Thank you.
Message 865 of 1,017
gdadkins
Guide

I will try the newer firmware out as well.
Message 866 of 1,017
prdgallie
Aspirant

I also have internet drop outs after 3-4 days on the xr500. Only a reboot solves the issue. But I comes back again. Could I please get a link to the trial firmware? Thank you!
Message 867 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Good news, NETGEAR are happy for us to publicly share the link to the hot fix firmware. Here it is:

https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tichang_netgear_com/Efc2T54tBPREtZwrMtj7PF8BGssdUVOk7a...

Keep in mind this is the exact same as the current release (2.3.2.40), just with a small hotfix which may fix those experiencing drop outs. There's no real need to install this firmware if you are not experiencing any drop outs.

Upgrade Instructions:

1. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop.
  2. Run your web browser and open http://www.routerlogin.net.
  3. Click Settings => Administration => Firmware Upgrade page.
  4. Click Browser button and locate the firmware image file.
  5. Click Upload button.
  6. Wait for upgrade progress to complete.
Message 868 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@prdgallie @gdadkins @Jlpotter76  - see my post above this one for the download link

Message 869 of 1,017
ZurkeyDurkey
Guide

I am having the same issue. My setup is the XR500 w/ X6S Mesh Extender. I will try that firmware hotfix tonight.
Message 870 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

So, it's Wednseday morning and guess what?  We wake up to no Internet AGAIN.  If you've been following my thread you will see that this is the 3rd Wed/Thurs in a row that this has happend AND that I replaced my cable modem on Saturday.  The interesting thing is that this time I decided to only reboot the XR500.  I left the cable modem alone since all the statis light on it were fine (Power, US/DS/Online, etc) and the VoIP phone was fine.  After I powered the XR500 back up Internet access was restored.  SO, this leads me to believe that maybe its the router and not my modem or ISP.  I figure I have two courses of action I can try at this time.  Reverting back to the previous firmware or initiating an RMA with Netgear.  I was given a link to the trial firmware, but like I said in a previous post I am not a fan of using anything that is not "production" ready.  I am really leaning towards the RMA thing because I am also having another issue which I did not mention in this forum.  I figured one problem at a time.  Everytime I reboot my router I have to set up my WeMO switches again.  I really think I got a bad router.

Message 871 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the ISP Modem been fully powered OFF for 1 minute with the XR powered off, then back on? 

Seen issues with these Arris TM modem models and external routers. 

@Xenos8 wrote:

So, it's Wednseday morning and guess what?  We wake up to no Internet AGAIN.  If you've been following my thread you will see that this is the 3rd Wed/Thurs in a row that this has happend AND that I replaced my cable modem on Saturday.  The interesting thing is that this time I decided to only reboot the XR500.  I left the cable modem alone since all the statis light on it were fine (Power, US/DS/Online, etc) and the VoIP phone was fine.  After I powered the XR500 back up Internet access was restored.  SO, this leads me to believe that maybe its the router and not my modem or ISP.  I figure I have two courses of action I can try at this time.  Reverting back to the previous firmware or initiating an RMA with Netgear.  I was given a link to the trial firmware, but like I said in a previous post I am not a fan of using anything that is not "production" ready.  I am really leaning towards the RMA thing because I am also having another issue which I did not mention in this forum.  I figured one problem at a time.  Everytime I reboot my router I have to set up my WeMO switches again.  I really think I got a bad router.

Message 872 of 1,017
schumaku
Guru

@Xenos8 wrote:

I was given a link to the trial firmware, but like I said in a previous post I am not a fan of using anything that is not "production" ready.

But you bought a WiFi 6 draft specs router and are not willing to install a firmware with a minor patch which is supposed to fix the Internet connectivity issue? 

@Xenos8 wrote:

Everytime I reboot my router I have to set up my WeMO switches again.  I really think I got a bad router.

I think the WeMO switches are not able to find the wireless, or fail to associate, .... why ever. Please note that even Intel had to update the drivers for many popular WiFi client to gain correct wireless association ... just one example, several more. Typical issues with leading edge and early adopter technologies.

Message 873 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

In reference to the WiFi 6 drafts specs router, I agree with you there.  I must admit that I did not do enough research when I purchased the XR500.  I was under the gun the get a new router since the old Asus was on the fritz (maybe) and my household was hollering at me to get the Internet fixed, lol.  I did not fully understand what I was getting myself into with this router.  It may not be for me.  I'll probably give the firmware a whirl tonight.

Message 874 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

Last week and then week before yes.  I powered down the modem and XR500.  I even unplugged all WAN/LAN cables from the XR500.  I then let the modem come back up with full status lights and then powered up the XR500 and plugged everything back in once Internet light went from amber to green.  HOWEVER, this morning I only unplugged everything from the XR500 as a test.  Did not touch the modem.  After powering up the XR500 and plugging everything back in Internet was restored.  This is why I am leaning towards it being an issue with the XR500 and not my modem.

Message 875 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7