× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 drops internet

Sereph102889
Tutor

Figured I would post back now that it's been a few weeks. The factory reset that I performed seems to have fixed every single issue I had with this router. I would also like to mention that at the same time as the factory reset, I also power cycled the ISP modem and made sure that they both came back up at the same time. When doing this, I received a message telling me that the router had changed it's IP Address to a specific IP in order to better communicate with the ISP modem and reduce the possibilty of issues. I never got this message on initial unboxing and setup of the XR500, and since I performed the factory reset I have had 0 issues. My connection is better, upstream and downstream numbers are within 99% of a hardline connection to the modem, hell, sometimes with Wifi the router gives me 115mb down when I'm only paying for 90 down. 

TLDR: Had the same issues as lots of others in this thread, did a factory reset and power cycled ISP modem all at the same time, got a message that the router updated it's IP address to better communicate with ISP modem, and have had 0 issues since. This seems to have fixed all my issues.

Message 1001 of 1,017
A_Monto
Aspirant

I bought the xr500 a few months ago around june, it was working perfectly fine since then up until a week or so ago. I called in my isp technician to see if they could help with the issue but ultimately couldn't because it was my own hardware. I was however recommended to try a hardwire connection which I did and worked perfectly until today when I got disconnected from it twice, when I went to check on my router the internet LED was a dull orange then all the LEDs turned off except for the power which turned orange after a few short seconds all lights turned back on like normal as if nothing happened. I don't know why this is happening but when I looked into dumaos system information logs it said that there were dos attacks around the 2 times I did disconnect from the internet. I should mention that I did factory reset the router before and all the apparent issues were almost immediately solved, but now it seems they have returned. I have an arris surfboard model sb8200 for the modem my router is connected to. I am running V2.3.2.56 Firmware, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1002 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Hmm...

Could you set your current WAN settings as Static?

To do this:

• Get the WAN IP from System Information in DumaOS
  • In Settings > Internet setup, set your IP as the WAN IP from previous step
  • Set Subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0
  • Set Gateway IP as the WAN IP but with the number after the third dot as a 1
  • Example, 192.168.0.45 becomes 192.168.0.1
  • Set DNS server as whatever you like, if not sure use 8.8.8.8, then 8.8.4.4, then Gateway IP

Hopefully that will stop it from getting thrown off.

Message 1003 of 1,017
A_Monto
Aspirant

I did as you said and set all but the subnet mask to the values you said to put there. All except the subnet mask were changed the 255.255.255.0 it wouldn't accept not really sure why, but everything else was fine, hoping this works!

Message 1004 of 1,017
A_Monto
Aspirant

Ok i've pretty much pin pointed my internet disconnectivity issues to the afforementioned dos attacks on my router. I have a vpn up which I thought would help with this but it's still getting through, is there something I can do to stop these attacks so I don't disconnect anymore?

Message 1005 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Have your ISP change the WAN IP address that comes thru the modem. 

@A_Monto wrote:

Ok i've pretty much pin pointed my internet disconnectivity issues to the afforementioned dos attacks on my router. I have a vpn up which I thought would help with this but it's still getting through, is there something I can do to stop these attacks so I don't disconnect anymore?

Message 1006 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Could you paste in some of the logs that mention the DoS attack?

Message 1007 of 1,017
A_Monto
Aspirant

Here are the logs from my router, let me know what next steps I can take.

[admin login] from source , Monday, November 25, 2019 17:18:39 [UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source , Monday, November 25, 2019 17:17:12 [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 148.251.48.231, port 50002, Monday, November 25, 2019 17:16:23 [UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.12, Monday, November 25, 2019 17:14:34 [UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.12, Monday, November 25, 2019 17:14:10 [UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.12, Monday, November 25, 2019 17:09:24 [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 148.251.48.231, port 50002, Monday, November 25, 2019 17:05:43 [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 148.251.48.231, port 50002, Monday, November 25, 2019 17:01:36 [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 148.251.48.231, port 50002, Monday, November 25, 2019 16:52:39

Message 1008 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Under Settings > Setup > WAN Setup, make sure that Port Scan and DoS protection are NOT disabled.

Message 1009 of 1,017
Gamer215549
Aspirant

I have recently acquired a XR500 and I updated to the latest Firmware 2.3.2.56.  It has now been a week or two and I am repeatively (once a day) having Wifi shutdown.  The logs are showning DoS attacks coming from Amazon and Facebook IP's quite frequently.  I also get the following error on a wired machine when logged into the router, "Error: The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App."  The pages that have graphics or graphs give this error, such as the netowrk monitor, dashboard, Geo Filter.  If I reset the router Wifi restores but, the error messages on the DumaOS screen still display.  I have turned Geo Filtering Off, port/DoS Attack off, Guest Networks are off.  I am not using a VPN.  CPU utilization fluctuates between 10 and 30 with occasional spikes to 60%.  RAM Memory utilization is about 50% and Flash is about 60%.  So I don't think the router is overloaded.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Message 1010 of 1,017
A_Monto
Aspirant

The only thing disabled on this page is something called "IGMP proxying" otherwise the port scan and dos protection is not disabled.

Message 1011 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What devices do you have connected to the XR wifi? 

is Smart Connect enabled? 

@Gamer215549 wrote:

I have recently acquired a XR500 and I updated to the latest Firmware 2.3.2.56.  It has now been a week or two and I am repeatively (once a day) having Wifi shutdown.  The logs are showning DoS attacks coming from Amazon and Facebook IP's quite frequently.  I also get the following error on a wired machine when logged into the router, "Error: The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App."  The pages that have graphics or graphs give this error, such as the netowrk monitor, dashboard, Geo Filter.  If I reset the router Wifi restores but, the error messages on the DumaOS screen still display.  I have turned Geo Filtering Off, port/DoS Attack off, Guest Networks are off.  I am not using a VPN.  CPU utilization fluctuates between 10 and 30 with occasional spikes to 60%.  RAM Memory utilization is about 50% and Flash is about 60%.  So I don't think the router is overloaded.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Message 1012 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

DoS Attacks is unfortunately named and really just means you've had connections to those IPs so shouldn't be causing that issue at all. Could you change your NAT from secure to open please in WAN and see if that helps. Also regarding the interface issue in System Information on the R-App panel options could you change the number of retries to 5 please and then reboot the router, see if that helps.
Message 1013 of 1,017
Gamer215549
Aspirant

My modem is on the roof so I can't get it right away.

I had the 2.4 on Auto and I have now swapped to 1.  I am not using Smart Connect.

There are about 6 to 8 2.4 GHz signals depending on where I am in my home.  They are all below -70dB signal strength with the xr500 at -45dB.  I changed the 5 GHz to channel 100 which is clear from the other 3 signals from other networks.

As far as devices there is everything from lightbulbs to computers, there are 19 items on 2.4 and 5 on 5 GHz.  There are a handful of hardwired devices, in total there are 35 devices.

Message 1014 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried my suggestions above?
Message 1015 of 1,017
Gamer215549
Aspirant

Latest update, besides the noted changes above in message 1014, when I arrived home today the router was completely down requiring that I manually reboot.  I made the changes about an hour ago so now I wait. I don't know if it matters but I actually have the XRM570 kit so I have WIFI Mesh range extender but, I have not set it up as I have WIFI coverage out to the end of my road about a quarter of a mile away.  I don't know if it would assist the router but I could set it up if you think it would help.

Besides that I will say that this router is extremely efficient at utilizing the ISP I currently have, being out in the country I have a point to point radio ISP with 25 down 5 up and I have never been able to get over 1.5mbps for actual downloads from a host.  Currently I am dowloading a LOL update and its running steady at 3.5 down.  I have seen similar results on PS4 updates. 

Message 1016 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay keep us informed but really glad to hear it serves you well generally!
Message 1017 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7