× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 drops internet

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 drops internet

Has a full factory reset and set up from scratch been performed after applying .32 FW? 

@Gingeg wrote:
I have updated to the latest firmware 2.3.2.32 and loose internet connection which can vary from every few hours to every few days. Never had this with my Nighthawk R7000 which was flawless. Once I reboot the router it runs fine until next time. Wonder if it’s a firmware problem.

Message 576 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Bobisbadat:

Your Arris TM1602 modem has an Intel Puma 6 chipset that has a design flaw that greatly affects connectivity (cannot be patched with firmware updates). I had one too, and all connectivity issues went away once I replaced it with a BroadCom chipset-based modem. Check with your ISP to find out which modems they allow before buying another one.

Discussion of the issue here:

http://www.badmodems.com/

List of affected modems here:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems#

Message 577 of 1,017
Gingeg
Guide

I’ll check the modem the next time it happens as you suggested. As for all the other devices on my network they all loose connection to the internet also. Funny but it hasn’t happened again since I posted this morning. Will keep an eye on.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 578 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Hate:

This was happening to me too, and the issue WAS the modem. In fact, if you have any modem with an Intel Puma 6 or 7 chipset in it, you will have these issues, and the XR500 will MAGNIFY the effects of this unfixable, unpatchable DESIGN FLAW.

Discussion of issue here:

List of affected modems here:

Message 579 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Gingeg:

If you have any one of the modems on this list, you will have connectivity issues (seemingly randomly):

Discussion of the issue itself, here:

Message 580 of 1,017
Gingeg
Guide

I don’t have one of the modems listed. My modem is a Huawei Echolife HG612 FTTC . Forgot to add after I posted this morning that I reset to factory settings and setup again. Fingers crossed have not had anymore disconnections.
Message 581 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Gingeg:

Your modem is Broadcom-based, so you should be good to go, modem-wise.

Message 582 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@Gingeg wrote:
I don’t have one of the modems listed. My modem is a Huawei Echolife HG612 FTTC . Forgot to add after I posted this morning that I reset to factory settings and setup again. Fingers crossed have not had anymore disconnections.

Message 583 of 1,017
Gingeg
Guide

Thanks for that. Touch wood router has not lost connection since this morning. Looking good.
Message 584 of 1,017
Cajunbull
Aspirant

Im having the same issue.New router bought Sat 11-10  I do have 2 Xboxes connected. 1 hardwired and the other wireless.  I have to power cycle router everyday to get conection back. I have the current firmware any sugestions?  have a NG 6400 no issues at all.

Message 585 of 1,017
Hate
Apprentice

Unfortunately, they can't be bothered to release a fix. I am sorry this is happening to you, it is absolutely ridiculous.

It's been nothing by lip service by both parties and they still haven't even bothered to acknowledge it, they truly think there aren't any issues with .32, rather comical.

Try downgrading to .22, reset to defaults, then give the Xboxs a Static IP on the router itself. Apparently "Instant On" causes issues.

Message 586 of 1,017
Cajunbull
Aspirant

So what whold be a "Good reliable option"?

Message 587 of 1,017
Hate
Apprentice

I'll keep standing by my statement until they address this. It's clear they don't have their customers as their priority. It's pretty sad that I am on the one replying to your comments and not support from EITHER team.

Return it! No sense in having a "gaming" router if it can't stay online more than 24 hours, amirite?

Grab an ASUS, call it a day.

Message 588 of 1,017
Gingeg
Guide

5 days now since I did another factory reset with Firmware V2.3.2.32 and not lost connection. I have 14 devices connected with WiFi and 1 wired device which is my PC. My son plays a lot of games on his XBox One and is now a happy bunny. Fingers crossed my issue has been resolved.
Message 589 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the factory reset worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Gingeg wrote:
5 days now since I did another factory reset with Firmware V2.3.2.32 and not lost connection. I have 14 devices connected with WiFi and 1 wired device which is my PC. My son plays a lot of games on his XBox One and is now a happy bunny. Fingers crossed my issue has been resolved.

Message 590 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset. Seems to help others. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-drops-internet/m-p/1663872/highl...

Not everyone is having bad experiences. There are many factors that can contribute to routers not working. It's not always the routers fault. 

@Cajunbull wrote:

Im having the same issue.New router bought Sat 11-10  I do have 2 Xboxes connected. 1 hardwired and the other wireless.  I have to power cycle router everyday to get conection back. I have the current firmware any sugestions?  have a NG 6400 no issues at all.

Message 591 of 1,017
Gingeg
Guide

As well as doing a factory reset you could try reinstalling the latest firmware again. Then try a reset to factory settings again and setup the router. I have done this before For people who have had connection problems with their routers and it has fixed their problem. Maybe worth a shot.
Message 592 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's a good suggestion. Sometimes reinstalling the firmware can solve weird cases.

Message 593 of 1,017
Warri
Tutor

So after moving providers (and moving locations), I am now on Spectrum. All was good for about a week, until today.

All Wireless Devices Lost Internet Access (remained on the Network), and all Wired Devices also Lost Internet Access. Rebooting the XR500 Solved the Issue. All the lights on the XR500 remained White and blinking (for activity).

I am not running a Beta Firmware, as I was never PM'd one, so I believe I'm still on the Current Release (IIRC .32?)

Is this something fixed by the beta firmware? Do I Need to Schedule a Weekly Reboot of my Router? Do I have a defective Router?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 594 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM Warri with a firmware to try, please see if it resolves your issue.
Message 595 of 1,017
Bobisbadat
Aspirant

Have a firmware for me to try as well?

Message 596 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Warri Spectrum customer here. Spectrum issues modems with Intel Puma 6 chipsets to a lot of their customers. In many areas (like mine), that's all they issue. Due to an unfixable hardware design flaw, these modems absolutely wreck connections. Using a router with these modems makes the issue even worse. I had the issues you're describing before changing to a different modem make/model.

Because this issue cannot be fixed with a firmware update, the only option is replacing the modem they give you with any of the approved ones on the list at Spectrum's website that doesn't have an Intel Puma 6 (or 7) chipset. The Netgear CM600 is on their approved modem list, and has a Broadcom chipset. (Don't go by the brand name though, because the CM700 has an Intel Puma and is BAD.) I bought a CM600 and then called Spectrum to activate it in bridge mode with the XR500 ready to go and have had flawless internet ever since.

Discussion of the issue and a comprehensive list of affected modems can be found here:

badmodems.com

Message 597 of 1,017
Warri
Tutor

Thanks that's good info...I'll look into the modem... I'm hoping to switch to ATT fiber soon so I'll see what the budget allows. But I'll certainly look into the CM600... I have an SB6190 but it was giving me a lot of issues on Comcast and being generally slow to reboot and connect so I just went with spectrums free modem.
Message 598 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM bob
Message 599 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Warri SB6190

Yep, on the list. Garbage. CM600s are about $90. Chances are Best Buy has them in stock in your area (because you're not the only one). Bought mine about a month ago and have had zero disconnects, no packet loss, and no abnormal lag, latency or jitter ever since.

Message 600 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7