× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 drops internet

CeeDaRula
Aspirant

Re: XR500 drops internet

So I am having the same issue with the drop of internet and the only way to get it to come back up is to turn off the router for a few and turn it back on then it works fine as long as anything hardwired is online. If anything goes on standby for more then 4- 5 hours I wil lose connectivity. I did the hot fix to no avail. I'm hoping there is a update soon as this is becoming very annoying. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 901 of 1,017
Spiteful
Aspirant

I am having the router drop internet as well. In my case the router seems to reboot. If left alone long enough it will come back or resetting it does the same. I have isolated the issue in my instance to amazon devices. If I unplug my amazon echoes this issue will not happen. When looking at the routers log, it seems as if the router treats some chatter from the devices as dos attacks. I'm guessing after so many, the router crashes or reboots which is causing this error. 

My question is, how do we fix this?

Message 902 of 1,017
Sneakybeaky
Tutor

I'm having internet connection drop outs depite devices still being connected to the router.

This issue appears to be only affecting apple devices, which unfortunately is most of the devices in the house with the exception of my PC. I've not had a single drop out on it. Also, it appears to only happen late evening.  

I've tried the latest firmware and the hotfix version.

One thing I noticed this morning was that the information log was reporting a ddos attack with the  primary dns server being the source. This occurred at 8pm, which I believe was just before the issues occured.  

Message 903 of 1,017
ZurkeyDurkey
Guide

I've been having no big issues after the firmware I installed, but there is an odd one. This has only happened twice; when I am streaming on my PC with OBS to Twitch, or when my girlfriend is streaming on her PS4 to Twitch, we've lost internet.  Again, this has only happened twice.  Many other times streaming it has not occurred.

Message 904 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried changing the DNS server on the router? Maybe to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Message 905 of 1,017
bugislive
Initiate

I am also getting random drops in my XR 500. I have to reset my cable modem then reset the router and unplug Ethernet cord from modem then insert it again to get it working again. Can you please send me hotfix please? Also my firmware version is v 2.3.2.40. Thanks.
Message 906 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Here you are: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/ let us know if it resolves your issues.
Message 907 of 1,017
Sneakybeaky
Tutor

Hi Fraser, I am already running the hotfix after investigating this issue on the forums. This issue has happened twice since being on the hotfix.

Message 908 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried changing the DNS settings?

What's your network setup? What kind of modem do you have? Any settings on there that might be messing things up?

Message 909 of 1,017
Surverok
Aspirant

I have the current firmware and ive read through the hundreds of other posts about dropping internet for two days straight now obviously something else is the problem
Message 910 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

When you say you've got the current firmware, you mean the hotfix firmware right?

@Surverok wrote:
I have the current firmware and ive read through the hundreds of other posts about dropping internet for two days straight now obviously something else is the problem

Message 911 of 1,017
Surverok
Aspirant

I mean I go to the dumos website and it saya there is not an update available... Meaning to me that I habe the most current version
Message 912 of 1,017
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Message 913 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

So it would appear my problem has returned.  My internet connection dropped twice in the last two days and once last week.  I was good for a couple of months after applying the latest firmware and patch as well as swaping out my modem with my ISP.  But now the issue seems to have returned.  Amber internet light on front of router and I have to pull power on modem and router to restore it.  This should not be happening on a $300 router.  Not sure if I am going to RMA it or switch to another brand or even my old Asus.  Very frustrated. 

Message 914 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support. 

Do you have a friend or family member that you could loan the router to, and see if the problem happens for them? 

@Xenos8 wrote:

So it would appear my problem has returned.  My internet connection dropped twice in the last two days and once last week.  I was good for a couple of months after applying the latest firmware and patch as well as swaping out my modem with my ISP.  But now the issue seems to have returned.  Amber internet light on front of router and I have to pull power on modem and router to restore it.  This should not be happening on a $300 router.  Not sure if I am going to RMA it or switch to another brand or even my old Asus.  Very frustrated. 

Message 915 of 1,017
CeeDaRula
Aspirant

"Do you have a friend or family member that you could loan the router to, and see if the problem happens for them? "

1) you have to be joking to ask that

2) This would mean he would not have Internet for what could be a few hours to a day since it doesn't happen right away

3) Word of mouth is a companies best advertisement or worst enemy, bringing a product that a person is having issues with to another persons house and have that 2nd person have their Internet go down does not help but hurts the companies reputation and the possibility of loss of future customers because they are going to say to themselves if they are having all these issues I'm not gonna buy products from that company and may very well may tell a friend about it also.

Very bad advice.

Message 916 of 1,017
schumaku
Guru

@CeeDaRula Appears you don't understand that you talk to community members here, not to Netgear. Testing the router on a different site, probably with a different ISP and other requirements can be a valid test procedure. @FURRYe38 made it clear in the sentence just before this proposal and suggested to contect Netgear support.

Message 917 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, my suggestion what purely troubleshooting to see if the problem followed. If it does then you'll know the XR500 is probably bad and needs to be RMAd. Reason for telling you to contact NG support anyways. Please don't read my suggestion as being anything nefarious. 

@CeeDaRula wrote:

"Do you have a friend or family member that you could loan the router to, and see if the problem happens for them? "

2) This would mean he would not have Internet for what could be a few hours to a day since it doesn't happen right away

3) Word of mouth is a companies best advertisement or worst enemy, bringing a product that a person is having issues with to another persons house and have that 2nd person have their Internet go down does not help but hurts the companies reputation and the possibility of loss of future customers because they are going to say to themselves if they are having all these issues I'm not gonna buy products from that company and may very well may tell a friend about it also.

Very bad advice.

Message 918 of 1,017
CeeDaRula
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, my suggestion what purely troubleshooting to see if the problem followed. If it does then you'll know the XR500 is probably bad and needs to be RMAd. Reason for telling you to contact NG support anyways. Please don't read my suggestion as being anything nefarious. 

@CeeDaRula wrote:

Very bad advice.

Nefarious... not at all, just saying that type of testing IMO is not good for the companies rep that's all.

Message 919 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats up to you to decide. Nothing wrong in testing out someting in a different environment to see if the problem follows. Sometimes I do give this as a suggestion while users are waiting for official support to begin or while in progress. Sometimes it can be related to users environment and not HW related.

Doesn't hurt anything. 

Good Luck. 

Message 920 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

I will ask around and see if anyone has a spare router I can try out.  Setting up my router at someone else's house is a "negative ghost rider!"  LOL.  I've been reading through some of the postings here and noticed a couple of folks mentioned DDoS entries in the XR500 event logs.  I noticed these myself a few weeks back but didn't think anything of them since I wasn't having issues.  I wonder if the router is detecting false positives for DDoS and killing the internet or maybe experiencing a buffer overload of some sort.  I'm going to do some more even log investigation and troubleshooting.  One last thing that I find cursios is that I've had an amber light for the port I have my Sonos bridge plugged into from day one.  I have multiple Sonos speakers in house and they all communicate wirelessly to the bridge.  The bridge is hard wired to the XR500.  I've never had any issue with Sonos when the internet is working, but why the amber light....?  Doubt it means anything in relation to my drop off issue, but at this point who knows.

Message 921 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Had to mention it. 

If you think your seeing DDOS too much on the router, might ask your ISP to make a IP address change on the ISP modem. Then see if the router still see some of these entries. 

I would also turn off the SONO system for a while and see if the XR router still exhibits bad behavior. Sonos has been known to cause problems on many routers. Look at the user manual for the XR router about the LED colors. I see this on mine when my xboxes are off however even though they are off, there is some activity and maybe the connection drops to 100Mb while off or in low power mode. Instant ON causes this for xbox. Something maybe causing LED color indication with the XR router and Sonos. 

Message 922 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will keep an eye out for more DDoS events.  Did not see any last night.  I looked up the indicator LEDs in the XR500 user manual.  Solid amber for Eth 1-4 just means router has detected a 100 or 10 mbps connection.  White means gigabit connection.  So Sonos bridge showing up amber is nothing.  However, just in case I did some reorganizing of my cables.  I had one cable going nowhere.  One of the HDDs in my NAS died and its been offline since.  So I removed this cable completely.  I also had an ethernet cable going from my smart TV to the Sonos bridge.  Sonos gives extra ethernet ports for convenience.  So I removed it and TV now goes straight to router.  Sonos and TV now show amber, but this should be ok.  One thing I did find interesting about the indicator LEDs is the Power LED.  The user manual states that solid amber for the Power LED means corrupt firmware.  When my XR500 first starts up after a hard reboot the Power LED is solid amber for about 15-30 seconds before it goes white.  This is probably nothing, but it makes me wonder if the firmware or firmware patch did not take 100%.

Message 923 of 1,017
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes Amber only means that your connnected devices only support 100Mb and not 1000Mb. Check with the Mfrs if your devices to see what they officially support. Most streaming or audio devices only support 100Mb currently. 

Amber is usally seen during a boot process. Means the router is booting up and hasn't come to ready. As long as the power LED changed to WHITE, you should be good. If it doesn't, then I would download the FW file, and using a wired PC, manually send the FW file again, then factory reset and setup from scratch. After setting up, do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@Xenos8 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will keep an eye out for more DDoS events.  Did not see any last night.  I looked up the indicator LEDs in the XR500 user manual.  Solid amber for Eth 1-4 just means router has detected a 100 or 10 mbps connection.  White means gigabit connection.  So Sonos bridge showing up amber is nothing.  However, just in case I did some reorganizing of my cables.  I had one cable going nowhere.  One of the HDDs in my NAS died and its been offline since.  So I removed this cable completely.  I also had an ethernet cable going from my smart TV to the Sonos bridge.  Sonos gives extra ethernet ports for convenience.  So I removed it and TV now goes straight to router.  Sonos and TV now show amber, but this should be ok.  One thing I did find interesting about the indicator LEDs is the Power LED.  The user manual states that solid amber for the Power LED means corrupt firmware.  When my XR500 first starts up after a hard reboot the Power LED is solid amber for about 15-30 seconds before it goes white.  This is probably nothing, but it makes me wonder if the firmware or firmware patch did not take 100%.

Message 924 of 1,017
Xenos8
Apprentice

So I thought I was in the clear.  Internet has been up and stable for over a week.  Just got a call from my daughter, NO INTERNET!  Walked her through rebooting modem and router.  Internet is restored, POOF.  It kills me that I am never home to look at the log and see what's going on.  They never seem to show anything by the time I get home from work.  An there is no way I am enabling remote management!  As I've stated before, I doubt its my ISP because Voip phone is working when this happens and all lights look normal on ISP modem.  Last week when this happened, besides the rewiring I also removed the USB drive I had in port 1 of the XR500 and disabled geo-filtering.  Router is basic configuration now.  I am going to factory reset it one more time and if that doesn't work try for an RMA through NetGear.  This is ridiculous.

Message 925 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7