× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 drops internet

user41018
Aspirant

Re: XR500 drops internet

Update::
Sadly Netgear Webdevs are unable to make a working "Community" button inside the Dropdown Menu form the Main Domain. I see there is a Href="" that directs to the community page but nothing happens...
The other thing is that the GoeFilter somehow doesn't work anymore.

First i thought that it can happen that my zone is to big and the distance of 870km from the edge of my zone to Russia isn't enough. So i reduced it from 700 down to 500... and i still join a russian server that if 100% full of russian. I was the only one who wasn't russian. The issue with russia is, that there are the most kids playing CSGO from all countries.
I mean... the "give my router back and make a review" option comes closer and closer.
Netgear is unable to make a stable router and netduma says that they create a geoFilter that still doesn't work... ok...

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 451 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you getting a server within the radius at a ping that would indicate that its closer to you than Russia? What gametype are you playing?
Message 452 of 1,017
user41018
Aspirant

Comp, I'm about 900km away from russia and still get full russian team. My and the enemy team.

Message 453 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As it's a game that runs on dedicated servers we can't block other players from joining the server like a P2P game. We can only ensure that you get the closest server possible and thereby giving you a low ping which means you have an advantage over them with your connection to the server.
Message 454 of 1,017
user41018
Aspirant

Sorry dear Fraser,
i assume that you think that everyone here is an idiot.
A CSGO match needs 10 Players, so 8 Russians join a EU Server that is 800km away from Russia?
What makes more sense?
2 players joining a Russian server to fill a queue or 8 Russians joining a EU server?
I have a VDSL, speedtest, 5ping. In games where there are no russians i have 11-15ping. Now looking at the fact that i had a ping of 70-95, i joined a server near me?
I will tell you how companies go broke, when they advertise things that don't work. You can save yourself all this talking and start fixing this router. You don't want to see my review. About reviews, i remembered that i need one for Sonarworks. Almost forgot it.
Message 455 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

So the V2.3.2.32 firmware works fine for the most part, but I'm still getting random disconnects... However, the router does reconnect itself now, vs. before when I would have to reboot the router manually to get it to reconnect. So I guess the problem is more of random internet dropouts. This is much better than before, except I have the A7000 USB wifi adapter and for some reason every time this happens it won't reconnect to my network automatically, and my network disappears from the list of available networks in Windows 10 so I have to open the old adapters settings page and disable then enable the adapter to get it to reconnect. Any suggestions?

Message 456 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Clint - when these drop outs happen, is it on all devices? And can you connect through your modem? That's the best way to figure out if it's an overall line drop or just isolated to the XR500.

Not sure on the adapter, is there a support page for it?

Message 457 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

Yes, the drop is on all devices. It's only for a few minutes but next time it happens I'll try to connect to the modem real quick and check. I'll try the A7000 issue in another thread. Thanks.

Message 458 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

It’s on all devices, I have “direct fiber” ran into my home. There’s no modem. I had previously had the ac 1900 with zero issues. If it dropped it was isp issues (rare). I have drops with the xr500, updating the firmware seemed to help but has since returned. I do not have xbox (instant on) on. Idk the problem, but at this point the cons outweigh the pros of owning this router.
Message 459 of 1,017
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@Bulldaw6 - how do you connect to the internet if you do not have a modem? Are you on a shared internet service which you access via an Ethernet cable? Almost all people have a modem, provided from your Internet Provider, which they then connect their router to.
Message 460 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

It dropped out earlier this evening for about 2 minutes. I was able to verify that all cable modem LED's were lit indicating there wasn't an ISP dropout.

Message 461 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

Yea, mine is different. Thought same thing when i switched. I’m assuming it’s ran by Coax to my home, then switches to and Ethernet cable. Ethernet comes directly into my home, I can connect directly to desktop or router, no modem involved. No shared network
Message 462 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@clintb, do you have an Xbox in Instant On mode? If so switch it to energy saving mode, does that resolve the issue? If you have a PS4, power it down fully rather than leaving it in standby mode.

@Bulldaw, same for you, I assume you have a PS4? If so can you power it down fully and see if that resolves the issue.

Just so you have full knowledge other routers appear to have this issue so it's not exclusive to the XR500. This would indicate its an intrinsic issue with software the board uses so we have contacted the manufacturer and they are attempting to reproduce it. They have an idea what it could be so are helping us create another beta firmware to try, when that's available we'll provide it to people to try.
Message 463 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Clintb12

Does your cable modem have an Intel Puma 6 or 7 chipset? There are many that do. Reason for the question being I was getting the same exact symptoms as you, as discussed in Message 6 of 7 in following thread (mistitled, because it wasn't the XR500's fault). Message 6, here, was the solution for me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Causing-Latency-amp-Packet-Loss/...

Keep in mind the first image was from merely pinging the cable modem. This wreaked utter havoc on the XR500, cause packet loss and worse when pinging, say, Google.

Please note: Message is not marked as solution, because I encountered some sort of error while editing the original solution message, which somehow deleted the message; same basic post though.

Message 464 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

Thank you for pointing this out. I do have the CM700 which has the Puma 6 chipset... The only solution is to get a new modem? I just bought this modem mid-July, so I hope there is a better solution but I read somewhere that it can't be fixed through firmware...

Message 465 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Clintb12 :

It's been 2 years since this issue first came to light, and the best Intel has been able to do is mitigate the issue somewhat through firmware updates (badmodems.com is a website entirely devoted to this issue, lots of info there).

The Netgear CM700 has the bad, Intel Puma chipset. The Netgear CM600 does not (Broadcom-based).

I recommend calling your ISP to find out what modems they allow (since you will have to call them to activate whatever modem you buy). My ISP (Spectrum) lists the modems they allow on their website. I bought a Netgear CM600 for $90, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Good luck in your search for a non-Intel-Puma-6/7-based modem. Please let me know how it turns out.

Message 466 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

@Clintb12 :

FYI, when I called Spectrum to activate the CM600, the tech on the phone and I had to wait a little between steps, so I told him about the issue. His response was, "you know, you're one of the few people to have figured that out."

I also already had a tech scheduled for a visit at the time I called. Didn't cancel the appointment, because I wanted to turn in the bad modem. When the tech arrived the next day, we chatted a bit. They're very aware of the issue, but the tech said their hands are tied. By whom I'm not sure (thinking upper-level management).

Message 467 of 1,017
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

I have the Netgear CM1000 - smooth sailing for me as well.
Message 468 of 1,017
Clintb12
Guide

I can't believe they're still selling this model! You know I was going to buy the CM600 but the CM700 was on sale for the same price so I figured why not get an extra 8 DS channels for the same price? Little did I know... I just feel burned because I bought this router and modem less than 3 months ago. I'll keep you posted. I just feel lucky that you happened to see and respond to my message.

I did notice DoS attacks in my router logs. The issue with the Puma is that it makes it extra easy to take your modem offline with a DoS attack and the firmware updates disable the reset function of the modem?

Message 469 of 1,017
ngearftard
Luminary

I know, right. Your modem and many others are still being sold by the tens of thousands, and all these poor people like you (and me for over two years) not knowing wtf is going on. Much credit to Fraser though for pointing me in the right direction.

As for seeing your message, I'm watching this thread because there are bound to be many more until this issue is made well-known. I'm thankful too. All this time I've been wondering wtf when every so often, far too often, I would get no response upon clicking M1.

RE: DOS attacks. You'll still get those, but now that you mention it I'm getting them far less often, maybe because I got a new IP address along with the CM600 activation, and am thus no longer associated with a (obviously?) vulnerable device. Scary stuff.

Message 470 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

Yes sir, but my biggest issue now is “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid up” WiFi works fine, but gaming computer does it after I restart or shutdown. I’ve tried all the tips and tricks online. Sometimes it resolves itself sometimes I have to reboot router & pc. It randomly drops internet with same trouble code. Plz help, I’ve already contacted isp, not on there end.
Message 471 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I haven't seen that error before, can you provide a screenshot please?
Message 472 of 1,017
Bulldaw6
Guide

This isn’t my photo, but it’s the exact “error”
I get. Currently not home
Message 473 of 1,017
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh I see. A few possible causes I can think of:
Have you set a static IP on the PC itself without reserving the IP on the router?
Have you disabled DHCP on the router without reserving an IP for the PC?
Message 474 of 1,017
Goofydad777
Aspirant

Question - Is it safe to upgrade to the latest firmware or only use the one that was provided by Netduma-Fraser?

Message 475 of 1,017
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7