× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 fiber

Laryke
Apprentice

XR500 fiber

What will be the best settings for a fiber connection.
Also when I do a test on dslreports, I got C grade on bufferbloat and upload speed is always 940+ even I have qos set to “Always” and upload to 25%
My speed:940up and down
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Bufferbloat only occurs when the connection is saturated and at your speeds that is quite hard to do. I would recommend you try different percentages and find what feels best to you when gaming - every connection is different so it's hard to give a definitive value but we usually recommend 70% as a starting point
Message 2 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

But feels like for upload even if I put Qos at 25% and always, I still get full speed
Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the modem model the XR is connected to? Are you using PPPoE, VLAN or IPv6 on the XR?
Message 4 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

The router is connected to the fiber using vlan 201
Message 5 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could be VLAN preventing that working, can you try the beta version here and see if upload adheres to your limit please?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/...
Message 6 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

I already have that version of firmware
Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you able to have the modem handle VLAN or another router to handle it then connect the XR to that and see if it works?
Message 8 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

Sorry for responding so late, I will try to use their modem and then connect the router, but it looks like QoS is working for download, I set to 70%, and when I do a speedtest I only get around 700 ( when I have QoS at 100% I get full speed) but for upload is not working, even it’s at 10 and upload share excess unticked I get full speed. Also another problem, it is possbile to one computer, another wired connection, tv or something make my warzone connection laggy?(I’m wired)
Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thanks for the update, please try Fraser's suggestion as you mentioned and see if that helps with the issue you're seeing.

I don't quite understand you last question, it is definitely possible other devices on the network can cause lag in your game, that's what QoS is so good at preventing. Is this something you're currently experiencing or just a general question?

Message 10 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

So when I install the fiber first time the game was so smooth and the bullets register instantly, but now it’s not the same, feels weird. I will comeback with a photo of QoS later, because now I’m working
Message 11 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

Message 12 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The settings look fine there, are you able to have the other router handle VLAN instead and see whether upload then works?
Message 13 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

Unfortunately I was working all these days, and I was not in the mood to try these things, tomorrow morning I’m free and I will try to use the modem in bridge mode and connect the xr500 router
Message 14 of 16
Laryke
Apprentice

I connected the modem with router and now the QoS working. Thank you!
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update!
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7