× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 gaming router

1madmouse
Star

XR500 gaming router

I am trying to have the router assign a static address for the security DVR as everytime the power is interrupted or the router is rebooted,  the router address changes. This m,eans I have to go into the Dumas and change the address of the DVR.  Seems like there should be an easy way to accomplish this.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Go to LAN Settings and you can set an IP reservation for the DVR there.
Message 2 of 11
1madmouse
Star

I will try what you have suggested and be back to let you know.

Thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 11
1madmouse
Star

Now when I specify the DVR address,  it says devices will be disconnected while router gets a new IP address.  Whats up with that? Or what does that mean?

Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It just means when it applies the reserved IP to the device other devices may lose connection briefly but the connection will be restored quite quickly. This is normal.
Message 5 of 11
1madmouse
Star

Thank you,  that is what I was figuring.  I have grown tired of every time there is a glitch in service or the router is rebooted,  I have to reconfigure the address in the ipad and iphone so I can access my cameras.

Message 6 of 11
1madmouse
Star

Ok I went to section for reserving the address for the DVR hit add and the router proceeded to aquire the new address and in the process knocked everyone off line switched the nework to public so the firewall did it's bit and blocked all but my PC. So I removed the reserved address ,  put everything back like it was and now it is working like it was.  I will need to do more investigating on this,  apparently something was missed or changed.  The only change I did was reserve the address for the device,  nothijng else was changed.  I don't want a house full of women on me because they lost their internet connection,  too dangerous, LOL.  Just kidding about the women.  I'm sure soemthing was missed.

Message 7 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean it switched the network to public exactly? Could you tell me the process you did for setting the reserved IP?
Message 8 of 11
1madmouse
Star

Ok I went into the router then to the Lan setup then down to reserve the address for the DVR.  I entered the address 192.168.1.2,  which is what it has now,  then I get the message that devices will lose connection while the router gets the address or aquires it. Next my wife comes in the office and lets me know she cannot get access because now we are on a public network.  I always go with a private or work network and homegroup.  Then when I go to play some of my online games,  the firewall is coming up and letting me know that it was blocking a few things.  Next I started doing some diagnostics and see that I am now on a public network and sharing files is not right. So instead of going through hours of trying see what went wrong,  I removed the reserved address and changed my network back to private. I figured something didn't happen right,  I would relax , take a break and come back to it,  so I can see what went amiss and get it straightened out. I know it should have been simple and not cause all the problems I found.  So did I miss a step,  or go to the wrong place?

Message 9 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No you didn't miss anything, for some reason it must have triggered that change on your devices. Could you make that change on the device and keep the reserved IP at the same time?
Message 10 of 11
1madmouse
Star

I can try,  but I think I will get the same results.  I will post back after I register the address. I too am at a loss as to why everything got changed,  it should have just reserved the address as static for that device and been good.  We will see.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7