× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 geofilter question

Nate808365
Aspirant

XR500 geofilter question

I live in hawaii, had a question with mapping the circle . Should i map the circle on the hawaiian islands and spread it out to hit cali servers or can i just put the circle anywhere? I noticed when i set the home circle far away from me my ping went down to 23 ms. When its set at home and spreaded out to 2613 where it ends in cali i get 55-85 ms. I play on ps4 ww2. Also i always have to unclick strict mode to get to headquarters normally. If strict mode is on it takes a long time to get to headquarters.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 geofilter question

Hi Nate,

Personally I would say this is all down to preference. 23ms sounds like a fantastic ping to play on - generally speaking, the lower your ping, the better your gameplay will be. If you're able to secure hosts with such a low ping easily then I would recommend keeping the Geo-Filter set up how you had it! Local servers aren't always the best ones, so don't worry if they are on mainland America.

Headquarters relies on dedicated servers rather than peer-to-peer, so with strict mode on it's likely that you're blocking servers necessary to connect. It likely forces the game to attempt to connect you to another server within your radius, eventually letting you join. I'm glad you can connect easily without strict mode enabled 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Nate,

Personally I would say this is all down to preference. 23ms sounds like a fantastic ping to play on - generally speaking, the lower your ping, the better your gameplay will be. If you're able to secure hosts with such a low ping easily then I would recommend keeping the Geo-Filter set up how you had it! Local servers aren't always the best ones, so don't worry if they are on mainland America.

Headquarters relies on dedicated servers rather than peer-to-peer, so with strict mode on it's likely that you're blocking servers necessary to connect. It likely forces the game to attempt to connect you to another server within your radius, eventually letting you join. I'm glad you can connect easily without strict mode enabled 🙂

Message 2 of 5
Nate808365
Aspirant

Thanks, my main concern was just picking where the home circle. When i pit it on the mainland servers my friends from hawaii cant connect to me, even in party chat. The radius would have to be within hawaii the spreaded out.
Message 3 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

In that case you need to add your friends to the Allow list. Invite them into a private game (so their icons are the only ones on the Geo-Filter map). Then open their Ping panels and click 'Allow'. This will ensure that even when they are exluded from the radius they can still connect to you.

I hope this helps!

Message 4 of 5
Nate808365
Aspirant

Thanks
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements