× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 higher ping to AWS servers

StreamingFullT
Aspirant

XR500 higher ping to AWS servers

Alright so here's my life at the moment. My ISP is Spectrum. I've a ton of issues with their service lately (1gig/40mbps up). I was getting constant packet loss / dropped frames on my old router provided by them.

Currently I'm using the xr500 router with the modem they supplied. Hitron E31N2V1. For the first time in a few days I've been able to stream for 8 hours without any issues and bandwidth was great.

My only issue is that my gaming PC while connected to Fortnite is showing about +20 ms response to servers. I have tested going back to old router and latency was fixed. Tested directly to modem and latency was fixed. I also went through and used PingPlotter to track AWS servers and same thing. +20ms when using the netgear router.

I have tried with the QoS on/off/ buffer bloat on/of. Tried priorizing the game and setting the PC to "console" so Geo would register. I've also tried changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 and can't figure out where this increase in latency is coming from! Everything else is working wonderfully.

I've tried Almost everything I could find on this forum. Someone said use Mac ID from previous router and that made the whole thing not work.

Would love to get this figured out because it is awesome so far other than this.
#EndEssay
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Does the added latency apply to every connection made through the router?

Sounds to me like the hop between the modem and the router is slow for some reason. Have you tried a different cable between them?

Message 2 of 4
StreamingFullT
Aspirant

I ran traceroutes multiple times over the last few days. Shows that at hop 4 it begins to take a different path to destination. I got back and forth between the ISP router and then back to the Netgear and each time the path changes taking a more scenic route.

I'm not understanding if it's something I have any control over or if the ISP just have complete control over their hardware taking a more direct route. With spectrum. I don't want to share the pictures publicly because the pathing info
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That's fair enough.

If the routing stuff is happening outside your house, then there's probably nothing we can do about it, at least not without involving your ISP.

If you want to send me the traceroutes you could do it through a private message, or you could just hide the IPs near your house.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7