× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 in Bridge mode

Eddster2021
Aspirant

XR500 in Bridge mode

Hi Everyone

I am getting horribly confused reading the forums on bridge mode vs repeater mode vs AP mode.

I have situation where I own an XR500 gaming router (with DumaOS) that used to be connected as my primary router with a lan cable.

I have now moved house and have a different setup that I would like to still make use of the  xr500 in.

Basically I now have a fibre router that I cant change the location of. About 3 meters away is where my current wifi mesh is situated , also the tv, apple tv etc . Seeming as I own the XR500 I want to know how I can connect it wirelessly to the primary fibre router and then connect all the devices that require LAN cables eg the google mesh primary hub to the XR500. I cant run a cable between the two routers and the installed Lan cables all run from the location 3 meters away from the fibre router .. I think it was when the house had ADSL , then for some reason they put the fibre ONT in a different place.

I hope this makes some sense? Please help ?

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for posting!

Unforunately, you won't be able to connect the XR to the fibre router wirelessly I'm afraid, there needs to be a physical cable from the WAN port to the LAN port of the fibre router.

One thing you could do would be to connect the XR500 to the fibre router via an ethernet cable, then have your Wi-Fi mesh connected to a XR500 LAN port as well as the Apple devices etc. This way, DumaOS would still have full control over the traffic on the network and you'll be able to use it for all it's features.

Message 2 of 4
Eddster2021
Aspirant

Thank you for the help. Maybe i will sell the router. What would I need to buy then , a repeater, a bridge or an AP?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

You could use powerline adapters to connect your XR500 to the fibre router, however doing this would mean that QoS wouldn't be effective, though you'd still get use of Geo-filter!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7