× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 intermittent network issues

lambykins00
Follower

XR500 intermittent network issues

I bought an XR500 gaming router about 6 months ago.

I am a Supervisor at Spectrum, and I bought this gaming router specifically so I could have more first-hand experience with gaming routers. My goal was to better help customers who describe strange internet issues (Mainly, Twitch streamers and other such gamers who swear their internet goes offline, but we can see no signal interruptions or impairments on our end).

Since my purchase of this router, my network will stop working intermittently (sometimes up to 3 times per week(rarely), sometimes only once every 3 weeks(usually)) until I power cycle the router.

When I am not home, this leaves my family without any internet access for hours (until I showed them how to power cycle the router). I have never seen the router resume working on it's own, it always needs a power-cycle. 

Since I work for Spectrum, I can say with certainty that this is not a cable-related issue. This is not even an internet related issue, this is a network issue. When these interruptions occur, my three wired desktop computers cannot communicate with each other, and printing will not work across my network. I am unable to log into my routers interface at 192.168.1.1 when this happens until i power-cycle the router.

This affects all wired and wireless devices.

I have two desktop computers connected directly to ethernet ports on the router, and a third desktop and priner that are connected through a 5-port gigabit switch that is connected to the XR500 router.

I was not having any such problems with my Linksys Velop Wireless mesh system (used in conjunction with the same 5 port gigabit switch) for about 2 years until I switched to this XR500.

If I were not a Supervisor for a cable company, and if I did not have a cursory knowledge of networks in general, I could easily imagine a scenario where I would assume this was my internet service going down.

Besides this issue, I have otherwise been impressed with my network performance when the router is working properly. To me, this has the feeling of being a software issue, I am curious if others have experience this issue, or if the bug has been identified as a known issue.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 intermittent network issues

We're aware of this issue, seems to be due to DHCP WAN/LAN renewing. Netgear are implementing a fix in DumaOS 3.0, it will be available in beta in one of the next builds. The workarounds at the moment involve setting reserved IPs for devices, switching to static instead of dynamic in Internet Setup but they don't work for everyone.
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7