× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 ipv4 vs ipv6 speed differences

packetdrop
Star

XR500 ipv4 vs ipv6 speed differences

I feel bad putting this here without knowing more but I recently got a new config from my ISP for a 900/35mbs line (from 400/35). Direct line tests for around 500 (on speedtest.net) and ISP still thinks there are some remaining issues to get 900 but connectivity is there.

But if I plug in my XR500 my speedtest.net plummets to 80-120mbs and never more. In attempts to figure out what is going on I tried a bunch of speed tests as well as wired/wireless. I found that speedtest that explicitly mention ipv6 give me 500mbs+ but speed tests that don't (such as speedtest.net) give me the severely degraded performance. I even installed to speedtest apps on my pc. One being the desktop version of speedtest.net and one being Microsoft's "Network Test Speed". Same results. Former tests slow. Later tests fast. I'm fairly positive that it relates to ipv4 vs ipv6. Now I think there is a change that the mistake is with the ISP and that it is some weird misconfiguration there, but if it's something with the router config I'd love to resolve it. I have QoS completely disabled for all of this though I found it to make no difference at all if turned on.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
packetdrop
Star

Just wanted to follow up saying that I managed to resolve the issue by rebooting both the cable modem and the router in sequence leaving the MAC at the PCs. I strongly suspect that the XR500 router was not at fault for the issue but rather that for some reason the ISP/modem capped ipv4 traffic until the reboot.

I am now running with QoS and ipv6 fully enabled without any issues and get equivalent speed tests over both ipv4 and ipv6.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - are you on an IPv6 connection then or are you on IPv4? IPv6 can often cause headaches for routers, so I would recommend disabling it in >Settings >Advanced and see if that solves your lower speeds.

Also, are you connecting using PPPoE? If so, I recommend you put PPPoE on your modem instead of the router

With QoS disabled, you should easily be hitting 900mbps without any other changes required. Un

Message 2 of 13
packetdrop
Star

When I turn off ipv6 all my speedtests drop to below 120. I'm attaching a retest with the microsoft network speed test after I disabled ipv6 completely just now. It also shows the previous test with ipv6 enabled. My problem appears to be that all ipv4 performance is degraded and the only way I can even see good bandwidth is with ipv6.

Message 3 of 13
packetdrop
Star

Not using PPPoE.

Message 4 of 13
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, try disabling IPv6 and see if that improves things.

Message 5 of 13
packetdrop
Star

See message 3 for results with ipv6 disabled, still degraded performance.

Message 6 of 13
Hate
Apprentice

This is a $300 router and it has troubles with IPv6?

LOL! Can you guys be more transparent what this router CAN do and not what IT CAN'T DO? The list sure seems short for what it can do.

Message 7 of 13
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ah thanks - hadn't realised there were two replies.

Just to clarify, can you answer these questions please:

1. What speeds do you get wired into the modem?
  2. What speeds wired into XR500 (~100mbps right?)
  3. What speeds wireless into XR500?

I'm wondering if there's an issue with your ethernet cable between the XR500 and either your PC or the modem. So answers to 1 and 3 will help narrow that down

@Hate - you misunderstand. Generally people should be fine with IPv6, but when someone is having a an unusual issue, it's always wise to shut down possible problem areas until you figure out where the problem is. 

Message 8 of 13
packetdrop
Star

I get around 500-600mbs direct wire PC into modem. I get 80-120 wired through XR500 on the same PC using ipv4 speed tests. I get 80-120 wireless on 5ghz band 3 feet from router using an iPad ipv4 speed test. I get 500+mbs on the PC through XR500 using ipv6 speed tests. I get 500+mbs @ 5GHz 3 feet using ipad ipv6.

So wired vs wireless has no noticable effect at close range. All these are uneffected by QoS completely disabled or on but on set to never with share excess enabled. Turning ipv6 off makes all speed tests cap out at 120mbs. 

Router is using the PCs MAC in case that matters.

Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If QoS is completely disabled and you're experiencing this issue then it indicates it's not specifically to do with DumaOS.

One thing I would recommend is changing the XR500 MAC address to your previous routers MAC address as some ISPs don't like it when using a new router. If that doesn't resolve it then would recommend contacting Netgear support directly and it's likely something on their end.
Message 10 of 13
packetdrop
Star

OK thanks, will pursue that!

Message 11 of 13
packetdrop
Star

Just wanted to follow up saying that I managed to resolve the issue by rebooting both the cable modem and the router in sequence leaving the MAC at the PCs. I strongly suspect that the XR500 router was not at fault for the issue but rather that for some reason the ISP/modem capped ipv4 traffic until the reboot.

I am now running with QoS and ipv6 fully enabled without any issues and get equivalent speed tests over both ipv4 and ipv6.

Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's fantastic news. Thanks for coming back with the solution and glad to hear the XR500 wasn't the cause!
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7